Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recession Support Group (no enablers allowed!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kira
    • Mar 2008

Re: Recession Support Group (no enablers allowed!)

I went over to IF today to just take a look and some how I managed to leave the store without buying the many items that were in exactly my perfect size, that I was quite keen on. I am not sure how I was able to do it. Last time I was there I was not particularly thrilled with the selection. But today was pretty nice. Perhaps because they were not items that I would need to die over I could leave more easily, but on the other hand there were a few beautiful pieces that definitely sparked my interest and would be great additions to my now faster growing wardrobe...I think there were little RSG voices in my head telling me all of the reasons to just turn and walk out the door. [86]

[Y] to RSG. It is there to protect you when you don't even know it.

Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• philip nod
      • Aug 2007

you can buy a classic vintage ROLEX for half price, don't mess around w that schoolboy shit

and this isn't even one of the dopest models

One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

Pnids is 100% correct on this one. A vintage Longines or Rolex is literally $1000.

Beautiful, classic, has a story with it, and is likely older than you and will outlast you.

They're one of the greatest values of luxury goods out there in my opinion. Really overlooked as people keep going for the shiny and new. A couple of years ago I had to choose between a vintage Roley and the CCP diagonal zips and... I went with the latter but I'll probably be springing for the former in the near future. Maybe an old Omega. Something simple, stainless, and automatic.

*rings up Jacob the Jeweler*

ha!

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• philip nod
          • Aug 2007

i have one from the 70's that is so sick that its pretty much impossible for me to own another watch except another rolex. it's a family heirloom.

Comment

• Casius
            • Dec 2006

Not to derail but I agree. A vintage airking is on the top of my watch-want list. I wear a sub every day (from my Pops) but the vintage ones really speak to me.
            "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Chinorlz
              • Sep 2006

It's one of those lovely things that you can really hand down to your kid you know? Clothes will eventually fall apart but a well taken care of watch... can last damn near forever.

It's a tradition that i want to pass on to my kids for sure. But no Pateks for them.... fuckkkkk thaaaaat.

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Casius
                • Dec 2006

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

It's one of those lovely things that you can really hand down to your kid you know? Clothes will eventually fall apart but a well taken care of watch... can last damn near forever.

It's a tradition that i want to pass on to my kids for sure. But no Pateks for them.... fuckkkkk thaaaaat.

[/quote]

That's how I got my watch. Passed down from my Dad after he passed away.

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                  • Nov 2007

Now this is a real watch:

LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• mortalveneer
                    • Jan 2008

[quote user="AKA*NYC"]

[/quote]

clearly, this type of watch is meant to be worn several at a time. I personally have four, and like to rock two on my left arm, one on my right. I have to beat the ladies off with a stick sometimes...

I am not who you think I am

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

The rocks on the faceplate of the one I'm getting made by Jacob the Jeweler are so big that they stop the second hand rendering all the precision crafted fully automatic internals absolutely null. But even so, I want all that shit straight crafted nice. Dems rubies better be spot on before that 2.89 carat stone set at the 5 minute marker snaps my sweeping second hand.

I wear this watch not because I need to read the time, but because I just want to bling. I have an asshole who carries my shit and holds an umbrella over my car as I drive around town and if I ever need to know the time he'll pull out his watch and tell it to me.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                        • Nov 2007

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

The rocks on the faceplate of the one I'm getting made by Jacob the Jeweler are so big that they stop the second hand rendering all the precision crafted fully automatic internals absolutely null. But even so, I want all that shit straight crafted nice. Dems rubies better be spot on before that 2.89 carat stone set at the 5 minute marker snaps my sweeping second hand.

I wear this watch not because I need to read the time, but because I just want to bling. I have an asshole who carries my shit and holds an umbrella over my car as I drive around town and if I ever need to know the time he'll pull out his watch and tell it to me.

[/quote]

Spoken like a true SZer.

LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Real Real
                          • Feb 2007

Well, that's a beautiful looking watch - but it's not a true Portuguese. Most of the Porgugueses in IWC's lineup have 8 day movements. The Chrono-Automatic isn't 8-day...actually, I think it has the same movement as the IWC Pilot's Chrono.

I love the Portuguese too, and I'm going to make it my next watch purchase - but the Portuguese I'm going to buy is a Portuguese FA Jones, which is a lot closer to what a 'real' Portuguese is.

If you can get over the look of the Portuguese, go for an old IWC Pilot's Chrono. You should be able to find one for about $2k, maybe $2500 (I've looked many times on Timezone). That's a classic, honest watch, and that's where that chronograph movement belongs.

Comment

• philip nod
                            • Aug 2007

will somebody please tell me what makes this watch a five thousand dollar watch

Comment

• kira
                              • Mar 2008

[quote user="mortalveneer"][quote user="AKA*NYC"]

[/quote]

clearly, this type of watch is meant to be worn several at a time. I personally have four, and like to rock two on my left arm, one on my right. I have to beat the ladies off with a stick sometimes...

[/quote]

sometimes you'll have that with such a high quality item as this.

but correct me if my maths skills are wrong but doesn't that add up to 3?[86]

Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• Real Real
                                • Feb 2007

[quote user="philip nod"]will somebody please tell me what makes this watch a five thousand dollar watch
                                [/quote]

You need about 300 different small parts in order to make a mechanical chronograph, and all of those parts are assembled by hand. The case is machined by hand, etc - everything is done manually.

Full page ads in Robb Report don't come cheap, either.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎