Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recession Support Group (no enablers allowed!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kira
    • Mar 2008

Re: Recession Support Group (no enablers allowed!)

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="laika"]

nooooooo, don't do it, kira!!!!! It's way too much to spend without having seen it in person and tried it on, and the risk of not getting the perfect fitis great, given RO's notoriously inconsistent sizing. [79]

Plus, for that much money, you could probably buy from Barney's or some other place with a return policy... right? [76]

[/quote]

laika speaks the truth. can't drop that much dough on Rick unless you tried it on. His sizing fluctuates more than Dow Jones.

[/quote]

[86]

and the urge passes. thanks. will save for another rainy day...

Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• laika
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="kira"]

right. i am just being seduced by the visual image. i have never spent that much without trying something on... never, never. so i know in the end that i wont, it would be stupid. sigh. perhaps just a fleeting moment of a spontaneous urge of obtaining something outstanding, and the thrill of the purchase... but yes the return policy, ah need that. thank you for pointing out the one obvious need i was overlooking while floating in the clouds, besides not being able to try it on first.

on that note then, has anyone seen this in person here in NYC. maybe i dont need to know that either. maybe i should just wait until the fall...could be i just have spring fever immensely right now.

[/quote]

I haven't seen this particular jacket in person, but he does outstanding leather jackets every single season. You've got loads of time to get one, the perfect one, and bring it home in a nice shiny shopping bag with the assurance of the receipt in your pocket. [51]

edit: ah, glad to hear you're safe. going to go take a nap now. [73]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• kira
        • Mar 2008

Thanks Laika. I am safe now. Another way to thwart the urge to spend $$$, buy something for someone else that they really wanted. Does not have to be expensive but something you heard someone mention. I bought a book for a friend and feel way more gratified. At least for the moment...[79]
        Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• Chim
          • Dec 2006

the worst thing about buying a used leather jacket online is if you receive it and the leather is marred/nicked in a way that scars the jacket, in a bad way.

That gutcheck feeling is terrible, and it multiplies for every bill you drop on it. You're better off buying from barneys =P

Comment

• pbt
            • Jan 2007

[quote user="Chim"]

the worst thing about buying a used leather jacket online is if you receive it and the leather is marred/nicked in a way that scars the jacket, in a bad way.

[/quote]

Paypal protects buyersto an extent against such fallout from negligent listings. Assuming the seller lists frequently and thereforedepends upon their paypal account you are pretty much guaranteed a refund for damaged goods. In my experience paypal sides with the buyer in situations like this.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="kira"]Thanks Laika. I am safe now. Another way to thwart the urge to spend $$$, buy something for someone else that they really wanted. Does not have to be expensive but something you heard someone mention. I bought a book for a friend and feel way more gratified. At least for the moment...[79]
              [/quote]

bought two books yesterday - immensely gratifying experience.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Pinoy
                • Dec 2006

Thanks for the support, RSG, but I don't think I've been swayed enough to forego the purchase. Looks like I'll be saving up! :)

Comment

• philip nod
                  • Aug 2007

well good for you. while saving up, you can forgo any other clothing purchases that, made over time, might actually give one the impression that someone like you in a place like this might actually not come off as a hobo w a reckless, singular ambition.
                  One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                    • Sep 2006

Daniel, why would you spend nearly $5000 on something that just tells you the time now when that same amount of money can clothe you in some really lovely pieces for quite some time. Plus, if a MA+ accordion leather bag is a dream item, the watch is really priced too far out no? For something that doesn't change your life or improve your overall look in any way. It's like spending $5000 on a black leather bracelet that just peeks a little bit out of your sleeve cuff in terms of your overall style.

Also, I don't see the "exclusivity" of them making what... 10,000, 100,000 watches a year? That's a fucking LOT of watches. "Hand finished" doesn't mean shit. They try to pass that shit off on clothes too and it just means someone had to manually screw something on because the manufacturing machines/assembly line couldn't do it for cheaper than some small swiss child's hands.

Get back to me if you're gonna spend $5k on something if there are only 5 to 50 of them in the world. Then it's a bit better. Plus, it's not ballin when you've got a $5k watch on your wrist and everything else you wear is Old Navy because you blew it all on something that does nothing more than tell you the date and time (which your cell phone already does for damn near free... and it automatically springs forward and falls back whereas you gotta twist that dial on your broke ass watch to do it).

Certain things need not be shiny and new... unless you're some soulless i-banker who has money to burn because they no longer sleep at their apartment because they work 120 hour weeks at the office and sleep on a cot in their cubicle. Then you may as well go all out and get that boxy, shitty Brioni suit with an ugly ass tie that costs you $350 because it's more ply than the Charmin in the bathroom. Get a pocketwatch, a vest that matches your blue suit, a french cuff shirt with monkey fist cufflinks and call it a day.

PS- the watch isn't even that great.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

slamdunk
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

It's tough love here on RSG Daniel!

I got a dose and it saved my soul. I'm trying to return the favor my friend

[B][75]

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• philip nod
                          • Aug 2007

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

Daniel, why would you spend nearly $5000 on something that just tells you the time now when that same amount of money can clothe you in some really lovely pieces for quite some time. Plus, if a MA+ accordion leather bag is a dream item, the watch is really priced too far out no? For something that doesn't change your life or improve your overall look in any way. It's like spending $5000 on a black leather bracelet that just peeks a little bit out of your sleeve cuff in terms of your overall style.

Also, I don't see the "exclusivity" of them making what... 10,000, 100,000 watches a year? That's a fucking LOT of watches. "Hand finished" doesn't mean shit. They try to pass that shit off on clothes too and it just means someone had to manually screw something on because the manufacturing machines/assembly line couldn't do it for cheaper than some small swiss child's hands.

Get back to me if you're gonna spend $5k on something if there are only 5 to 50 of them in the world. Then it's a bit better. Plus, it's not ballin when you've got a $5k watch on your wrist and everything else you wear is Old Navy because you blew it all on something that does nothing more than tell you the date and time (which your cell phone already does for damn near free... and it automatically springs forward and falls back whereas you gotta twist that dial on your broke ass watch to do it).

Certain things need not be shiny and new... unless you're some soulless i-banker who has money to burn because they no longer sleep at their apartment because they work 120 hour weeks at the office and sleep on a cot in their cubicle. Then you may as well go all out and get that boxy, shitty Brioni suit with an ugly ass tie that costs you $350 because it's more ply than the Charmin in the bathroom. Get a pocketwatch, a vest that matches your blue suit, a french cuff shirt with monkey fist cufflinks and call it a day.

PS- the watch isn't even that great.

[/quote]

Thank you for making the first bold statement, albert, hand finished does not mean shit on a watch where the only "hand" you'll see is one pointing to your broke ass on a dial. and again, thanks for pointing out the absurdity of the edition sizes of these watches. who the fuck cares? if there's 9 in the world and i have number nine, then maybe thats a selling point. i can only imagine some loser gallerist trying to sell you on a warhol print--well this campbell soup can is 60042/3000000 and this electric chair is 14/ 140000 ----its like WTF? you just chose the one that works w your couch.

and the second bold statement. what is was trying to say with my last post. the watch does not make the man. if you can produce at least 3 outfits worthy of said foul watch and post them here, then this conversation might be able to continue. until then, build up an arsenal kid.

Comment

• philip nod
                            • Aug 2007

[quote user="Faust"]slamdunk
                            [/quote]

finally, PM SENT. BOOYAKAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• iSuck
                              • Mar 2008

Wearing $5,000 inSZ approved clothingand a $50 Swatch is the same as wearing $50 in Old Navy and a $5,000 watch.

Comment

• iSuck
                                • Mar 2008

[quote user="DHC"][quote user="philip nod"][quote user="iSuck"]

I've never really thought of a Rolex being "beautiful." Well, I take it back because I did see one white gold Daytona w/ a grey mother of pearl dial that was stunning. Rolex is a mega marketing machine that is barely 100 years old and now produces millions of watches a year. For guys who are looking at these basically "artisan" small brands like CCP, RO, M.A.+ etc. I think it is rather amusing that Rolex is something that could be coveted. Yes, a watched passed down to you is priceless regardless of the make; but, there are so many better options from IWC, Breguet, Glashutte Original andJaeger Le-Coultre that an "up and coming" guy can buy for $5-$10k (just give up one outfit a season and you'll have it haha ) that they can pass down in 40 years.

As for "what makes that watch cost $X?" in some ways it is very similar to the brands discussed here. While Breguet and Glashutte are owned by the mega Swatch company they still only produce about 10-15,000 watches (compared to 1,000,000 Rolexes) per year. There is hand finishing, design, precious metals in the movements, etc that ad to the price. But, again you also are paying for exclusivity. Would you pay $2500 for M.A.+ leather pants or that same price for Dior Homme pants? This board I would think it would be the former because there is also a slight factor in some decisions that you prefer to buy nice and expensive things that someone will not recognize automatically as being so.

I bought this Glashutte Original because I like the design, I like that it was made in Germany and not Switzerland, the back of the watch is beautiful, there is much handfinishing and assembly in it, they only make about 10,000 watches/year and because I'd rather have someone ask me what my watch is and then talk to the about the brand and not have it be a Rolex and then always be asked "Is it real?"

[/quote]

well, you love jil sander and i'd put it in the rolex category. who cares how many watches they make? what your missing here sucker is that people s parents hand these down when they die, so there is no choice involved. its like the scene in Pulp Fiction w Chris Walken and the kid and the rolex up his ass. so try and think about it another way. try and think about the concept of your Fathers watch. timeless. because i the 60's/70's i doubt they were looking up these other brands.

[/quote]

Sentiment...there are few factors greater than this in determining the 'value' of an object.

[/quote]

Did no one read my sentence after what you highlighted? Yes, Cas' father passed on to him a Rolex and this great, awesome and something he can then give his son.

But, in the posts above there was talking about buying vintage Air Kings or something to that effect which was where my knocking of Rolex came into play.

Rolex = Giorgio Armani. Jil Sander = Glashutte Original

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎