Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scanner
    • Mar 2015

Just received a Rick Owens Moody Calf Intarsia Leather Code LBO.. I've tried these on in stores and the leather is nice and chunky, however I ordered one through farfetch and while the leather is nice and chunky, it's very reminiscent of the cheaper feeling lamb leathers and has a truly awful chemical smell to it? I've heard of things like Chrome Tanned, etc and wondering if this could be it, although the chrome tanned Boris jacket that I have smells quite nice. Anyone know what i'm talking about it? It's like a piercing smokey sulfur (i'm guessing) type mechanical smell.

Comment

• blackfedora
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by scanner View Post
      ... It's like a piercing smokey sulfur (i'm guessing) type mechanical smell.
      This is likely from the sodium sulfide that is was in the dehairing of the hide. If the hide is not throughly washed afterwards, even trace amounts will result in a sulfur-y odour as it slowly decomposes into hydrogen sulfide and is released. None of my leathers have ever had that smell, but then again, I don't have many leather jackets. The aniline black smell from my CCP leathers has never gone away though....doubt it ever will.

Comment

• scanner
        • Mar 2015

Thanks for that BF, makes sense.. I've owned quite a few Rick jackets over the years and this is the first one that has had this type of smell.

Comment

• mikko
          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by blackfedora View Post
          The aniline black smell from my CCP leathers has never gone away though....doubt it ever will.
          So that's what it is? I just love sniffing my scarstitch when it's too cold to wear it...

Comment

• dji
            • Feb 2008

my high neck stays in the body bag, lest the whole closet smells of it and the missus throws a fit.

Comment

• vegettoo
              • Oct 2014

anyone know when does rick start to sew the size below the signature?
              i saw some pics online not only have the size sewned but also the season name sewned,but i have checked my leather from fw14 moody which doesnt have the season name sewned, just a size sewned below the signature

Comment

• GucciAmen
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by dji View Post
                my high neck stays in the body bag, lest the whole closet smells of it and the missus throws a fit.
                I am considering a CCP jacket... what exactly is this odour lol. My derbs do-come to think of it-carry a bit of an aroma.

Comment

• Monoral
                  • Mar 2014

Have CCP made a bracelet with small colorful teddy bears?

Comment

• dji
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by GucciAmen View Post
                    I am considering a CCP jacket... what exactly is this odour lol. My derbs do-come to think of it-carry a bit of an aroma.
                    similar to the shoes but a lot more intense. varies from jacket to jacket but mine is definitely on the strong side.

Comment

• blackfedora
                      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by GucciAmen View Post
                      Like dji, my footwear is low odour. To know the smell a bit better, befriend a university grad student in chemistry then ask him to give you access to a bottle of m-phenylenediamine specifically (if it has a prefix of "o" it's moderately toxic, the "p" prefix is very toxic so steer clear of that one), open the cap and carefully waft some fumes in the direction of you nose. Don't take a big sniff (save that for the ether bottle), it's an acrid and dense muted amine smell. The CCP jacket won't be as strong smelling, but the smell comes from the same family of molecules. Some people say it smells something like a faint fish market...I disagree, a fish market smell is due to alkylamines and not aromatic amines which what the dye is and I find them quite different.

Comment

• Lohikaarme
                        • Jul 2013

Like dji, my footwear is low odour. To know the smell a bit better, befriend a university grad student in chemistry then ask him to give you access to a bottle of m-phenylenediamine specifically (if it has a prefix of "o" it's moderately toxic, the "p" prefix is very toxic so steer clear of that one), open the cap and carefully waft some fumes in the direction of you nose. Don't take a big sniff (save that for the ether bottle), it's an acrid and dense muted amine smell. The CCP jacket won't be as strong smelling, but the smell comes from the same family of molecules. Some people say it smells something like a faint fish market...I disagree, a fish market smell is due to alkylamines and not aromatic amines which what the dye is and I find them quite different.
                        The specificity in this comment is utterly wonderful.

Comment

• GucciAmen
                          • Sep 2014

This is a fantastic answer; thank you very much. May I also ask where this smell derives from?

Thank you as well dji! Can't imagine what the inside of the bodybag must smell like haha.

Comment

• blackfedora
                            • Jan 2012

From exactly what I stated above: m-phenylenediamine, it's commonly used in black hair dye, less so in leather dyeing. It may have a slightly different name on a box of hair dye due to the variation on chemistry nomenclature, but it should have "diamine" or "aniline" somewhere on the ingredients list. Dye kits for hair at pharmacy will have it, but the chemical is usually part of a concoction that includes heavy perfumes to mask the odour, or if ammonia is in the mix, that is all you will smell when you take a whiff.

Comment

• rickandjulius
                              • Feb 2014

Dyeing question. Would use the diy section but I'll get an answer faster in here!

I'm looking at some ccp pants that are grey, want to dye them black, but they're made out of Ramie/polyester. Could I use a cotton dye on them or would I need a special "synthetic" one?

Comment

• naturalalmonds
                                • Sep 2013

From exactly what I stated above: m-phenylenediamine, it's commonly used in black hair dye, less so in leather dyeing. It may have a slightly different name on a box of hair dye due to the variation on chemistry nomenclature, but it should have "diamine" or "aniline" somewhere on the ingredients list. Dye kits for hair at pharmacy will have it, but the chemical is usually part of a concoction that includes heavy perfumes to mask the odour, or if ammonia is in the mix, that is all you will smell when you take a whiff.
                                That's pretty interesting. I am familiar with the smell of black hair dye from my teenage years It had a very particular smell to it, definitely not masked by ammonia if memory serves

Originally posted by blackfedora
                                I disagree, a fish market smell is due to alkylamines and not aromatic amines which what the dye is and I find them quite different.
                                I found that my Guidi boots when new had a very strong odor, I personally made the connection to a kind of musty fish smell. Is that what's responsible?
                                I want to do product, I am a product person, not just clothing but water bottle design - Kanye West

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎