Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DudleyGray
    • Jul 2013

I don't like rules like these. Fashion is something that you should feel, not like menswear. It's more than just trying to look attractive or appropriate, it's trying to evoke a certain idea or emotion through a visual acknowledgement of the past/present.

That said, skinny pants tuck easily into boots with little thought, wider pants might require a wider boot opening or different boot height or compensation in visual weight up top. It's really an impossible question except on case-by-case basis because everything affects everything. The only real answer is try it and see if you feel it; if not, try something different and repeat.
    bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• PurpleJesuss
      • May 2014

I wouldn't qualify my post as a set of rules but merely some guidelines(which i believe are sound) about how tucks can fuck up your fits. As for rules and fashion i don't think they are entirely inseparable. TB has extremely strict styling rules yet is one of the most exciting brands in menswear right now.(maybe that's what you meant by menswear but i assume you are referring to the pitti sprezz phenomenon). And yet despite these rules, TB displays an entirely unconventional universe which is just as intricate as Rick's.

Comment

• eyebefore#
        • Feb 2015

Why is the HOF thread closed? It's a thread that can provide great inspiration to newbies, but a fair amount of the links are dead. Fantastic fits get added to WAYWT fairly often. It seems odd to me an archive that has fantastic potential for inspiration would be closed for three years.

Comment

• magic
          • Feb 2009

Afaik if you are qualified to HoF, the mod will do the posting.
          Focusing on object details

Comment

• HWith
            • May 2007

Originally posted by Law View Post
            www.joelandsonsfabrics.com and www.topfabric.co.uk off the top of my head. Depends on what you're looking for.
            Looking for some medium to heavy weight cotton/cotton-blend for T-shirts. Apparently it's way harder to find that I thought. Moodfabrics has some okay options but their shipping is insane.

Comment

• DudleyGray
              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by PurpleJesuss View Post
              I wouldn't qualify my post as a set of rules but merely some guidelines(which i believe are sound) about how tucks can fuck up your fits. As for rules and fashion i don't think they are entirely inseparable. TB has extremely strict styling rules yet is one of the most exciting brands in menswear right now.(maybe that's what you meant by menswear but i assume you are referring to the pitti sprezz phenomenon). And yet despite these rules, TB displays an entirely unconventional universe which is just as intricate as Rick's.
              I don't disagree with your guidelines, I'm kind of just rambling maybe. By menswear I mean that subset of clothing for guys who are into clothes but afraid to say they're into fashion. They're into having style rather than being fashionable, because fashion is queer, effeminate, or superficial. And a lot of those guys depend on rules to feel comfortable in what they are wearing, things like the tie is supposed to hit at belt level or the sleeves should end above the wrist bone to reveal 1/8" of cuff. Whatever helps them rationalize that they look presentable.

Whereas I feel this is more of a forum for people interested in fashion, and outfits might coincide with rules but there shouldn't be paint-by-numbers guides to achieving aesthetics, although there definitely are. But for every rule on how to do something right, there should be a counterexample proving the rule to be descriptive of past good fits rather than prescriptive of how to look good. After all, there was a time when the TB suit was only acceptable to Pee Wee.
              bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• Arkady
                • Apr 2011

This entirely depends on your proportions as well, at 6' 1" it's hard for me to appear stumpy so I can get away with The Tuck far more easily.

Volume spilling over a tight shafted boot can look as effective as a tight pant but it certainly depends on the specific pant as you guys mentioned.

I think guidelines are helpful but to be honest I totally agree with Dudley in that sitting around thinking of all these various guiding principles rather than just building what looks right by intuition feels like its missing the point. No tuck for anything with raw hems? How or why? What if they're tight up the leg with a raw hem on the bottom, is a passerby on the street going to know I've concealed a delightful frayed hem and read me for my flaunting protocol? Sounds like an exhausting fucking way to live.

To put it another way -- 7 years of DJing professionally, an album, a handful of EPs -- I still couldn't tell you a C from a D but I know exactly how it's supposed to sound.
                Last edited by Arkady; 09-04-2015, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• ian+
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by fromcolortoblack View Post
                  ian+ could you elaborate more on the types of pants, boots, and outfits/silhouettes are usually improved by a tuck? I get that there's no golden rule of "when to tuck" and "when not to tuck", but as a newbie all I've got to work on are "rules" -- until I get more experience with it and can better understand what makes it look good and what doesn't make it look good.

PurpleJesuss, could you elaborate on why you think it worsens an outfit most of the time?

If you guys have any examples of fits that you like that incorporate a tuck, I'd love to see them as well
                  Originally posted by Arkady View Post
                  This entirely depends on your proportions as well, at 6' 1" it's hard for me to appear stumpy so I can get away with The Tuck far more easily.

Volume spilling over a tight shafted boot can look as effective as a tight pant but it certainly depends on the specific pant as you guys mentioned.

I think guidelines are helpful but to be honest I totally agree with Dudley in that sitting around thinking of all these various guiding principles rather than just building what looks right by intuition feels like its missing the point. No tuck for anything with raw hems? How or why? What if they're tight up the leg with a raw hem on the bottom, is a passerby on the street going to know I've concealed a delightful frayed hem and read me for my flaunting protocol? Sounds like an exhausting fucking way to live.

To put it another way -- 7 years of DJing professionally, an album, a handful of EPs -- I still couldn't tell you a C from a D but I know exactly how it's supposed to sound.
                  Basically what Arkady is saying, for me proportions come first. That means you have to try it and see what looks good on you and at the same time what you feel comfortable wearing. Most common mistake for example is people buying Geobaskets without considering their volume and height, resulting in a puss in boots look. Practice and enjoy.
                  ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

Comment

• zen dog
                    • Jan 2014

Hwith: You will have to check on shipping since I'm in the US and so is:https://www.fabric.com but I was happy with the selection and my purchase of some cotton fabric from them. Things do sell out- I haven't gotten to my projects yet ( T-shirts and caps) and already some fabric is gone. So, if you buy something and like it, jump back in and order more.

Comment

• BrianK
                      • Jan 2013

Wheres the new BBS by 11 store located in NYC ? Wasn't it supposed to be opened around August?

Comment

• okayvin
                        • Sep 2013

does anybody have fit pics with the Cloak felt boots? I'm having trouble coming up with an outfit

Comment

• stemcell
                          • Jul 2011

Hey guys, I'll be in LA/Southern California in a bit. Any good secondhand designer stores for Rick and Ann? Like Tokio7 or INA in New York.
                          Thanks!

Will probably check out H Lorenzo, Maxfields, any other new ones that've opened up? Haven't been in a few years.

I remember seeing some kind of shopping map on here years ago, not sure if that's still around, I'd love a link if you know what I am talking about.

Comment

• gregor
                            • Oct 2014

wasteland is the closest to tokio7, but avant-garde stuff is rare. good store worth checking out regardless.

Comment

• skullkid
                              • Aug 2015

knee high socks

did anyone find their grail knee high socks? i have Ricks but they dont last a few washes. the socks will get loose and wont stay knee after a few washes

thank you in advance for any inputs

Comment

• Nickefuge
                                • Nov 2014

Try Falke socks.
                                "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                                -Paris Hilton

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎