Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darkbydesign
    • Sep 2010

Anyone try the Pallisandre d'Or scent that just came out from Aedes de Venustas? I love almost every single fragrance that they produce, so curious and haven't had time to drop by the West Village to check it out.

Comment

• bukka
      • Sep 2011

Received this today. I love the result of those two mixed together, the pomegranate noir gives a more "solid" and structured base to the wood sage & sea salt (this one I love it mixed or by itself). At first, it really smells like clove, but after half an hour, it becomes softer and "capiteux" (translated "heady" but not sure about the meaning in english), which gives a nice background to the fresher wood sage.
      Looking forward trying "Tubéreuse criminelle". I received a sample of "L'Eau Froide", I'm not really convinced by it so far.
      Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• axtang
        • Sep 2013

bukka I can believe that those two mix nicely—I've worn 'wood sage and sea salt' for a few days. In the end, I gave up on it due to how frequently I smell it out in the wild. I think that it's a really nice scent for its price point, but as a result, it's just a bit too common for me. I wish they made a diffuser in this scent.

However, mixing it does avoid that problem rather nicely.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Last night I have finished my 15 year old bottle of Yohji Pour Homme. In mourning.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• resolution653
            • Nov 2013

Recently the new brand "Unum" has left a positive impression.

Lavs - If a catholic/church incense is appealing, look no further. From a tailor used as a room spray in the atelier used to make garments for the pope. I'm not familiar with other incenses like Avignon from CDG but just thinking of the theme and smelling this really does an extrodinary job of conveying the catholic, church theme.

Rosa Nigra - My personal favorite, the most uplifting of the trio. Not a rose note but somehow the nose does detect a rose like scent. Opens with a peach note, dewy rose, fruity floral but dries down to dusty amber, slight vanilla, sandalwood. Beautiful blend. Great for spring and summer nights. Very polite sillage that draws you in.

Opus 1144 - I can see the appeal but not personally a fan of elemi and the citrus/vanilla combo. Very "classic" scent, well done but just not my taste. Shares a similar base with "Rosa Nigra"

Comment

• casem
              • Sep 2006

So, I finally bit the bullet and bought Carnal Flower. After trying most other frags from the Malle line it's the only one that made me go "wow" every time I try it. My second fave would have to be Bois D'orage which I might consider purchasing after I run out of some of my other woody fragrances. I love its sharp greenness but it stays very close to the skin and subtle on me.

After a few days of wearing Carnal from my newly purchased bottle, I have a bad feeling that it's been reformulated. I did some research and found talk of a reformulation around 2011 on Basenotes but nothing recent, I wonder if after being bought by Estee Lauder its been reformulated? It doesn't seem nearly as potent as what I sampled at Barney's (I assume the display bottles might be older?). It's still lovely but one spray at Barney's had me enveloped in the scent all day while a couple sprays from my new bottle, while long lasting, don't seem nearly as powerful. It would make sense... the power of it before might have turned people off so making it weaker saves money and makes it more mass marketable, but I would be very saddened that M. Malle would approve of such a change. It's possible that I've just gotten used to it so it's lost that initial punch from my first try, but something seems fishy. Anyone else have a similar experience?
              music

Comment

• darkbydesign
                • Sep 2010

^^Hey there. I don't think it's reformulated as I have a bottle and it's pretty much the most potent thing ever made. Bought mine in 2012 from Frederic Malle himself at some event he was having.

So, my guess is that you are just getting so used to it that you can't smell it as well (happens to me on so many scents), so be careful because Carnal is out of control strong, so if you think you can't smell it, then everyone else can and you'll be choking people in the elevators or on the subway. :) I mean, it's awesome, but when I wear it, I wear like half a spray if I can control my finger from pressing down.... To me, it's that strong! If I wear it, I will smell it on whatever article of clothing I had on, the next time I put the piece on, weeks or months away.

Comment

• Shifts
                  • Jul 2013

Well, Malle has been hit by the same IFRA regulations as all other European fragrance houses, which means reformulations. I don't know if it has happened to Carnal Flower, but I am fairly certain that Frédéric Malle as a house has been hit by this.

On the Malle note, I purchased a wee bottle of GĂ©ranium pour Monsieur this weekend. I have never really been attracted to this fragrance, more the opposite, but some stroke of sado-masochism made me do the purchase anyways. I must say that after a few days of wearing I am impressed. The brilliance of this fragrance lays in the scent trail, not how it smells right from your skin.

A very nice take on the classic fougère, something which has always bored me to death before.

Comment

• casem
                    • Sep 2006

Yea, maybe I'm just being paranoid, the times I sampled it was exactly the strength you refer to Dark, but I haven't had the same effect with the bottle I took home. Could just be nose fatigue, if so I hope I haven't unknowingly been a flower bomb to the general public lately
                    music

Comment

• darkbydesign
                      • Sep 2010

Shifts-GpM is pure magic and so subtle. I have gone through almost an entire 100mL in the past 2 years and if you ever get a chance, buy the lotion as it (on me) smells exactly the same and actually lasts longer, which is rare as usually the lotions aren't as potent, so a good deal IMO.

casem-yeah, gotta watch out with Carnal. It'll definitely flower bomb the entire City. I swear though, it's super pleasant and literally smells like you are shoving pollen-filled flowers in your face. Not sure i can think of a more potent fragrance. Maybe some of the Slumberhouse ones. Like Norne smells like straight up Christmas tree that has been shredded or Saddane smells like oldschool potpourri mixed with gummy bears or Zadde smelling like cranberry hookah. One spray of those will both stain white clothing for infinity or last for at least 24 hours on our skin.

Comment

• eight
                        • Jan 2015

Luckyscent has a sale going on until monday. The ad was a little ambiguous, but it's either $25 off $100 or a $25 credit with a $100 purchase. If I decide to buy something tomorrow I'll give an update.

Comment

• casem
                          • Sep 2006

Yea, got a sample of this with my purchase and am enjoying it on hot days when I want to be subtle. I like it a lot more having given it a full wearing than I thought when I tested it at the store. It has a very clean barbershop kind of smell but with a bit more depth and interest (due to the musk and spices I assume). Still, for me it's not full bottle worthy as I can see myself only really wanting to wear it on those gross hot muggy days. Also, I have CDG Blue Cedrat which fulfills a similar role in a slightly more interesting way.

Originally posted by Shifts View Post

On the Malle note, I purchased a wee bottle of GĂ©ranium pour Monsieur this weekend. I have never really been attracted to this fragrance, more the opposite, but some stroke of sado-masochism made me do the purchase anyways. I must say that after a few days of wearing I am impressed. The brilliance of this fragrance lays in the scent trail, not how it smells right from your skin.
                          Last edited by casem; 05-24-2015, 07:36 PM.
                          music

Comment

• neongud
                            • Mar 2013

A bit off topic (?), but: anybody got some recommendations for nice scented candles? Or a good retailer for such things?

Comment

• J_J
                              • Apr 2008

neongud - definitely recommend CIRE TRUDON candles.. pricy but the scents are beautiful.
                              I am addicted to "Odalisque" to the point that I long to smell it when I'm away from home.. and it is also quite pervasive when not burning.

(if anyone can help me find a fragrance that smells like Odalisque any suggestions are welcome)

Comment

• neongud
                                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by J_J View Post
                                neongud - definitely recommend CIRE TRUDON candles.. pricy but the scents are beautiful.
                                I am addicted to "Odalisque" to the point that I long to smell it when I'm away from home.. and it is also quite pervasive when not burning.

(if anyone can help me find a fragrance that smells like Odalisque any suggestions are welcome)
                                Thanks man. Will check it out. Also been looking at some Mad Et Len, too bad there are no places to sample such things nearby.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎