X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • upsilonkng
    • May 2010

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
    Whoa, they make stuff thats not a Rick Owens knock off?
    I think someone here said the designer of CA used to design the rick shoes.. so if that's the case, maybe they are just continuing the path.

Comment

• Scander
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      Lol. I also don't get it - either you know a thing like that or you don't. I don't.
      I've handed L&F and m.a+ footwear and both have the same shape, and same sole and the same construction and both produce in the same zone, but no, I don't know if is the same place because I never asked Amadei or Ria where they produce.

Comment

• destroymebaby
        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by en0rm View Post
        Daaaamn they look beautiful
        Yes, they are. Didn't like the dirty grey laces when I first saw them, but they have grown on me. I think I'll keep them and not replace them with black ones.
        The morning is not enough.

Comment

• BrokenBoards
          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by LelandJ View Post
          My favorite clothing purchase to date.

CdG-esque 100 wool outer 100 cupro inner by Japanese designer.
          Not trying to play the devil's advocate here or diminish your enthusiasm for this particular piece because more power to you if you found something you love, but what are you hoping to achieve by posting "esque" items? You got flamed for a fit you posted already that you dubbed "Harden-esque" and couldn't understand why and now you're posting a piece that is "CdG-esque."

Love it or hate it, this forum is like playing chess. Nobody is interested in watching you play checkers.
          "I would use lard if it came in a pretty bottle."

Comment

• LelandJ
            Banned
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by BrokenBoards View Post
            Not trying to play the devil's advocate here or diminish your enthusiasm for this particular piece because more power to you if you found something you love, but what are you hoping to achieve by posting "esque" items?
            What does anyone hope to achieve by posting their recent purchases here?

You got flamed for a fit you posted already that you dubbed "Harden-esque" and couldn't understand why and now you're posting a piece that is "CdG-esque."
            You don't consider buying and wearing clothes only by SZ status quo brands of RO, BBS, Devoa, MA+, CdG, Yohji, Ann, Harnden, Julius, CCP, Uma Wang, Yang Li, Ziggy Chen, A1923, MMM, LUC, Incarnation, Drkshdw a little limiting to your style options? I was looking at other CdG boiled wool jackets from previous seasons and the only one I could find I liked in my size didn't have any lining, not that there's anything wrong with unlined.

Love it or hate it, this forum is like playing chess. Nobody is interested in watching you play checkers.
            Can you elaborate on this analogy, what factors are you using to define a fit or garment as chess vs checkers? This jacket I just bought costs more than CdG's 100 wool jackets from this season. CdG also offers quite a range of imitation wool boiled polyester jackets, which I personally consider checkers. But I still highly respect Kawakubo's universe.

Assuming you had price or status quo as a factor, do you think Mail Moth is playing checkers when he pairs his Yohji, Ann, or GBS fits with $100 to $200 Moma shoes? As much as everyone here including me loves Guidi I don't think any of their offerings would look as good in the fits where he's wearing Moma. In fact he's inspired me to make Moma my next shoe purchase.

Comment

• LelandJ
              Banned
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by fit magna caedes
              This.

Lel: If it's a good piece in its own right, at least show it worn so we can see that. If the quality and the design stands up on its own, then name the brand and avoid comparisons.
              The brand's available through one of SZ's affiliate boutiques but I've never seen it mentioned on the forum yet. Hope you can understand why I'm a little gun shy about posting a fitpic or non status quo brand here. I'd hate to get canned permanently.

Comment

• deltapie
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by BrokenBoards View Post
                You got flamed for a fit you posted already that you dubbed "Harden-esque" and couldn't understand why and now you're posting a piece that is "CdG-esque."
                That also bothered me. If there's nothing worth saying about the piece other than it resembles another designer's aesthetic we might as well start posting Dark Zara and calling it Julius-esque or Rick-esque.
                "Keep Mr. Saberi healthy — he knows too much

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

What bothers me more is that apparently LelandJ is an adult (age-wise, that is). You'd expect something like this from a teenager.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BrokenBoards
                    • Jan 2014

The point of someone posting a recent purchase will vary person to person, so discussing that seems like a fairly circular conversation. Some do it to flaunt wealth/status. Some do it to make the community aware that they have an item and are willing to provide counsel regarding fit, quality, point of purchase, etc. Some do it because they need advice on how to wear a particular piece. Some do it because they're so goddamn excited about something and they want the world (wide web) to know about it. When it comes to your particular post, FMC hit the nail on the head.

Personally, no I don't only consider whether it's an "SZ status quo" brand when making a purchase, it's just purely coincidental that my aesthetic tastes coincide with a large number of the brands discussed here. If I like it, I like it regardless of who makes it and if anybody asks me what I'm wearing, I'm going to own it. Style is about having confidence, not bragging rights about what combination of designers you're wearing or seeking validation when you go for looks or pieces that are "something-esque".

The analogy was a call to step your game up. You're reading too much into the murky grey areas, beating a dead horse, and besmirching your name in the process. If this piece was purchased through an affiliate boutique, you already have one thing working to your advantage, so post about your experience with that affiliate. If it's a brand you think nobody has heard about here, take the time to educate and inspire us as the lesser known designers are the ones that need the most support.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

/\ exactly. this "status quo" is total bullshit, a defense mechanism of the insecure.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Landadel
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2014

How about a "Can I Wear This Today?" thread?

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

How about an Ask Amy column?!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BrokenBoards
                            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by fit magna caedes
                            That said, easier for the established posters to experiment, since they already have some cred in the bank. And all the ridicule directed at his choice of hat-brand may have been counterproductive to the inculcation of this particular message--i.e. it seemed the brand that was being criticised, not the fit.

Lel: there are plenty of people on here with less cash/less time to scout the sales threads or Yahoo Jp. Doesn't mean you go for a knock-off or "-esque" look. Doing that will always produce something at best sub-par, at worst tacky. Don't buy something as the lesser version of something else, better to wait for the thing itself. An outfit shouldn't need an apology.

On the other hand, I do see how deletion or the fear of banning might encourage defence mechanisms/apologies, and discourage experimentation/new brands. Is there another thread where people can post fits that they aren't confident about and where these can be dissected? 'Yes or No?', I suppose, but that's more for buying items, not trying outfits. If the WAYWT is gonna be edited as a showcase or some such, there should probably be somewhere people can get in-depth feedback on the fits that just don't work.
                            You don't need experience or cred to post a good fit or regale the veterans and favorites. A good fit is a good fit and a good purchase is a good purchase, regardless of how long you've been here or what your post count is. At the end of the day, you have to take total ownership of something and have the confidence to back it up, otherwise people will prey on you like vultures. My intentions aren't to prey on LelandJ here, but to push him to post with more substance if he is going to continue to post because he keeps unintentionally throwing himself under the bus.

Experimentation should be welcome and warranted, but people have to accept that a lot of posters here aren't going to give a "confidence building 101" seminar every time somebody posts something that goes against the grain. You have to be willing to accept critique (good and bad) and use it as a catalyst for improvement.

Comment

• LelandJ
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2014

BrokenBoards Perhaps your memory's short but I did stand 100% by my last fitpic.

FMC for the record my hat was Dolce & Gabbana not D&G (I didn't know there was a difference at the time), not that it matters to me but I see it does to others. I also like this jacket better than anything I've seen by CdG so calling it a knock-off is inaccurate unless you feel CdG created boiled wool and has ethical copyright on the fabric.

Comment

• cjbreed
                                • Feb 2009

you're the one that felt the best descriptor for it was CdG-esque rather than to include the actual designer's name.
                                dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎