Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Atmosphere
    • Jan 2010

Is Singapore really that bad?? I've been thinking about maybe doing an exchange semester at either NSU in Singapore or HKU in Hong Kong, it seems Hong Kong would be the better choice in almost every single aspect

Comment

• Rosenrot
      • Aug 2010

It's a nice place to stay for a short period of time, no worse or better than HK except for the weather and to a certain extent, sense of fashion.
      Originally posted by Patroklus
      Better too adventurous than not enough
      everyone should strive towards ballsiness

Comment

• Patroklus
        Banned
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Rosenrot View Post
        Dude, while I can empathise with you, be thankful you haven't got tits and ass to hide.
        ey yo hold up grrl why u tryna hide em

neway like an hour ago i was up in line tryna get a fotie (miller high life) wearin the rick veil and cashier kept shooting me looks
        finally i get up to the register and du be sayin something about masks idk wasn't really listening 2 him
        i dig it tho im a tiny dude but i put that thing on and other dudes give me a wide berth like im going to stab em

girls, on the other hand, get super interested innit
        i was at a party on the weekend with a drag queen hostess and there were tons of ladies (like no gay dudes tho wtf) and they were all about me and my steelo
        like "omg what is the mask supposed 2 symbolize"
        "can i see ur face omg ur cute"
        "what is ur sexuality" (lmfao)
        "did u make that or did u buy it"

Comment

• sshum88
          • Dec 2007

Well living in Singapore now and having lived in Toronto for 4 years - people are about the same except those in Toronto and Vancouver can be very vocal about someone who dresses outside of the 'norm'.

I'm always on high alert walking home at 3am down Queen West as someone may be looking to prove something. And it''s just not at 3am either, as I've gotten comments in the middle of the day. The Singaporeans will say nothing but they give you the look.

Originally posted by Dane View Post
          Curious if you live in a city? (big, small, etc.?) I find people here just ignore, no matter how you're dressed, but I may just be oblivious.
          Originally posted by Dane View Post
          meh...people in Canada are often too polite to comment anyway...we just look and judge in our heads.
          I used to work in that area and a large number of them seem rather fake. And their dress is nothing to write home about but that defines some of the upper class in T.O.

Originally posted by keilani View Post
          In Toronto, especially the "Higher-class" area such as Yorkville, people look at me as if I'm going to hurt them, rob something or vandalize.
          No Singapore is really not that bad. Great food. It's just that they are very conservative overall and not much else to do other than eat and shop. Yes, there are a few museums, galleries etc but one might get bored easily. You can't complain about the weather too much considering if you live in the Northern Hemisphere facing winter.

Originally posted by Atmosphere View Post
          Is Singapore really that bad??
          Fashion - does it exist? Men and women seem to follow a standard uniform here.

It's a nice place to stay for a short period of time, no worse or better than HK except for the weather and to a certain extent, sense of fashion.
          Originally posted by eat me
          If you can't see the work past the fucking taped seams , cold dye wash or raw hems - perhaps you shouldn't really be looking at all.

Comment

• springsummer1993
            • Aug 2012

Dude, while I can empathise with you, be thankful you haven't got tits and ass to hide.
            Touché.

Originally posted by Atmosphere View Post
            Is Singapore really that bad?? I've been thinking about maybe doing an exchange semester at either NSU in Singapore or HKU in Hong Kong, it seems Hong Kong would be the better choice in almost every single aspect
            Most definitely Hong Kong over Singapore. Rosenrot is right about Singapore's enjoyability being only for the short run, it's really only great to be a tourist or expatriate (working in a decent position) over here. In essence, you gotta' have dough.

Of the existence of fashionable or more appropriately, stylish people here...I'd say I prefer the men from the previous generations (you'd endearingly refer to them as 'Uncle') rather than the bourgeois assholes that shop at or own a menswear store around here known as, Surrender.
            live for conflict / die for heaven

Comment

• nictan
              • Jul 2009

^lolwut. how small is the percentage of people who shop at surrender, not to even mention the couple who own it.

and as for those who shop at surrender, most of them are not that different to some found here.

Comment

• springsummer1993
                • Aug 2012

It was about fashionable or stylish people, so to speak, wasn't it. So what better percentage to choose than the 'sartorial gods' of those who works at/owns/shops at due to homie status, Surrender.

Maybe I'm being super transparent here and I'm coming across as having a personal bias against them but that's been my experience.

I'm pretty new to SZ so not sure of the 'some found here' but elaborate on how those who shop at Surrender might be similar to those here?

Comment

• nictan
                  • Jul 2009

all im saying is, not sure how such strong sentiments against them came about. maybe you've come or are constantly coming into direct contact with said 'gods' thus the extreme reaction.

thing is these people arent even often seen on the streets. at least i dont. or maybe i dont hang out at cool places enough. the 'scene' used to be way worse few years back.

but then again, like i mentioned. maybe you have or are still coming into contact with them. thus the hate.

Comment

• springsummer1993
                    • Aug 2012

Your wonder about the hate is fair.

I'll say I won't ever be caught at cool places to come into often enough contact with mentioned people certainly. I earn national service pay and you'd know how bad that is! But, I've come into enough contact with them when I used to pop in and browse at whatever they had.

Lets return to stories though, I'd hate to turn this further into anything about Singapore.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Y'all need to move to New York.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• fireflygrave
                        • Aug 2012

God damn do I ever need to move to New York.
                        put a tiger in your tank

Comment

• kuriz
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          Y'all need to move to New York.

Had the most awesome time of my life visiting NYC. It's so fun to see you guys speak about different areas and actually have a mental image of how it looks and what impressions one had there. It is indeed an awesome city. After visiting Atelier for the first time, all day I for some reason saw people dressed in all black in such a natural way. Would be so nice to be at a place where guys is not looked at as completely weirdos when wearing something similar that sticks out just a bit.

Comment

• MoFiya
                            • Sep 2007

It's carnival these days in Germany.
                            Went to a fellow student's party at her place on monday.
                            Some guy was talking about the great procession he's been to.
                            Asked, wether I came from one as well, pointing at my tanktop dickflap layered underneath a black t-shirt. Lolwut
                            I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                            But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• lionlimb
                              • Feb 2013

Helped out a few nights at a swanky private wine+dinner venue as a favor to a friend who worked there. They had a black/white/grey dress code, and it was FREEZING (I knew I'd be in and out all night), so I pulled on some grey vintage lambskin ankle strap flats, black silk stockings, a black wool gabardine Junya skirt, and a tailor-made draped grey merino tissue top.

I got the strongest side-eye of my life from the owner when I walked in.

At the end of the night, he pulled out one of those Y-3 wallets with the HUGE logo, and told me "Oh, and wear something CUTE next time".

I feel like I get a pass on many negative reactions simply because I'm female, so it's not perceived as transgressive for me to dress in a distinctive or intentional way. Wearing Junya / CdG stuff has brought me a lot of weird looks, though, I suppose it's perceived as frumpy or something?
                              not baller

Comment

• Resonkuken
                                • Oct 2012

I was wearing a bbs hooded coat today. My dad said it made me look japanese (?) I suppose because of how it draped and was tied, like a samurai attire. My sister, on the other hand, said I looked like a hobo.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎