Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • round
    • Aug 2015

Can anyone recommend a good cobbler in the NY area? The guy close to my house has been around for a while, but he's started letting all of the unexperienced employees do the repairs, and they are turning out terribly.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

The Firm, on 4th Avenue and 12th St.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Cantara
        • Mar 2015

Agreed ^ Since I moved to NYC I've only used Firm Shoe Repair. They always do a good job.

Comment

• round
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          The Firm, on 4th Avenue and 12th St.
          Thank you very much.

@Cantara

thank you as well.

Comment

• eleves
            • Sep 2012

The Firm has been the one unanimously agreed upon cobbler institution that I've seen on SZ, their yelp page even features geobaskets! No one has done a better job for resoling than they have. However; has anyone tried getting rips/tears repaired there? I have a pair of suede boots that has a torn upper. Is the Firm the place to go for this as well, or are there any other recommendations?
            Originally posted by Faust
            HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Yeah, I finally introduced myself (they speak Russian), and they were very happy to meet.

I'd say try them first - if they can't do it, they'll tell you so.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Arkady
                • Apr 2011

Bizarre that I work three blocks away and haven't noticed it -- gonna go make friends later.

Comment

• Thirteen
                  • Aug 2015

Thinking about having heel taps installed for a pair of Island Dunks but wanted to learn a bit more about heel taps. The internet has not been too helpful on this subject as most deals with dress shoes with leather soles and not relating to rubber soles.

Do heel taps come in rubber alternatives or only in plastic material? If removed will it cause damage to a rubber sole?

Comment

• Lohikaarme
                    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
                    Thinking about having heel taps installed for a pair of Island Dunks but wanted to learn a bit more about heel taps. The internet has not been too helpful on this subject as most deals with dress shoes with leather soles and not relating to rubber soles.

Do heel taps come in rubber alternatives or only in plastic material? If removed will it cause damage to a rubber sole?
                    Can come in metal too.

Some are glued on. Some are nailed on.

Comment

• mikko
                      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post

Many moons ago when I had Geobaskets with the newer sharktooth outersole I put on plastic heeltaps with glue and metallic nails. After a few weeks they fell out without much visible damage left from them. Wouldn't bother, just go hard on them without any taps.

Comment

• newp
                        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by mikko View Post
                        Many moons ago when I had Geobaskets with the newer sharktooth outersole I put on plastic heeltaps with glue and metallic nails. After a few weeks they fell out without much visible damage left from them. Wouldn't bother, just go hard on them without any taps.
                        YMMV. My pair of RO first line ramones boots is crazily worn out at heels: I've even 'opened' these air pockets left in the sole (if you ever seen it from the inside). My other RO footwear (2 pairs of geos, another pair of ramones boots, mohawks) is more or less fine.

Comment

• no logo
                          • Mar 2016

Did anyone had problem like this with DBSS (or any other shoe):

?
                          The hole is see through and the shoes are glued, not sewn on the side.
                          Do you think it's possible to fix?
                          Like a patch or smth. I don't mind that it would be visible. I like the hobo/uc look of those.

Comment

• dji
                            • Feb 2008

Sissy drips, to heel taps or no?

Comment

• Lohikaarme
                              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by no logo View Post
                              Did anyone had problem like this with DBSS (or any other shoe):

?
                              The hole is see through and the shoes are glued, not sewn on the side.
                              Do you think it's possible to fix?
                              Like a patch or smth. I don't mind that it would be visible. I like the hobo/uc look of those.
                              I can't really tell what's going on with the images. Is the ponyhair part ripped up? I'd say asking a cobbler is the easiest. Anyhow, they mostly work on completely glued shoes so they'll probably have a solution that's better than "use Shoe Goo"

Comment

• no logo
                                • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Lohikaarme View Post
                                I can't really tell what's going on with the images. Is the ponyhair part ripped up? I'd say asking a cobbler is the easiest. Anyhow, they mostly work on completely glued shoes so they'll probably have a solution that's better than "use Shoe Goo"
                                Thank you! Yes, the pony hair part is ripped so there's a hole.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎