X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mesko
    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by HWith View Post
    I'm in the middle of transition between goth ninja kind of clothes and something else I don't really know what to call. Just a year ago I wore a lot of Ann Demeulemeester, Rick Owens, Number (N)ine etc., but now those pieces just gang in my wardrobe. Instead I've started buying Yohji and CdG, so my wardrobe is made up of two quite different styles that don't really go together.

Ann D: 7 pieces and a lot of accessories
    RO: 5 pieces
    N(N): 3 pieces
    Along with some Undercover, Julius etc.

CdG Homme+: 3 pieces
    Yohji Yamamoto: 5 pieces
    + a a lot of Raf Simons and Jil Sander
    I personally think that Ann Demeulemeester go well with Yohji Yamamoto and Comme des Garçons. All leaning a bit toward the relaxed.

Comment

• HWith
      • May 2007

It might work, but not with the pieces I have. My Ann Pieces are slouchy rayon pants and suede leggings, big cashmere/cotton pieces and sheer tees, while my Yohji and CdG buys are shirts, jackets and pants.

Originally posted by mesko View Post
      I personally think that Ann Demeulemeester go well with Yohji Yamamoto and Comme des Garçons. All leaning a bit toward the relaxed.

Comment

• mesko
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by HWith View Post
        It might work, but not with the pieces I have. My Ann Pieces are slouchy rayon pants and suede leggings, big cashmere/cotton pieces and sheer tees, while my Yohji and CdG buys are shirts, jackets and pants.
        I don't see the problem with matching jackets and pants from CdG and Yohji with big cashmere/cotton pieces adn sheer tees, but hey, it's taste after all. Feel free to give your Ann pieces to me!

Comment

• jgan85
          • Apr 2008

lots of Japanese.. uniqlo, muji, muji labo.
          a couple of Y's & YYPH pieces, one sad lonely ann vest, one lonely mihara shirt.

hope to add to that slowly.

J
          ________
          HOTELS IN MEXICO
          Last edited by jgan85; 04-05-2011, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• orphée
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
            The best sartorial license that comes with age is the eccentric suit...im talking the orange jacket with green shirt and purple pants. As Dustin Hoffman said once, the kind of look you can only wear once you're past 70. Once you no longer give a flying fuck.
            I happened to see something similar a few days ago: canary yellow seersucker. And indeed: worn by a man in his 70s.

I really do love a good suit, though. But strictly for play, never for business.

Comment

• tricotineacetat
              • Aug 2009

I like to retain a certain sense of professionality and seriousness about my look, so a sharply fitted suit jacket definitely is inavoidable to me... besides the fact that it does wonders to your posture...

What becomes a tricky issue usually is the fit of the matching pants, which always end up fitting like a sack on the upper thigh and crotch part, when the cut is initially meant to be a slim cigarette leg, so I either have to alter them almost everywhere or end up sticking with jeans to match with the line of the jacket.

Comment

• comex9
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                No, definitely not, but I do like the look of an older guy in a good suit. It's a question of style, not so much one of clichées... and of course people do treat you differently, depending on what you wear. I am doing experiments at the moment...
                Correct... We NEED suits, especially in certain occasions, careers, meetings. PLEASE KEEP THE SUIT IN SOCIETY.. I know this is coming from a banker who is stuck in finance, due to the economy, but I'm begging here...

Comment

• beardown
                  rekoner
                  • Feb 2009

I consider it a personal victory that I've made it to the age I am without ever having to wear any kind of suit. I have a couple of nice ones but I can't help but associate them with funerals and weddings.

I like the look of a nice suit when it fits properly but so often, that's not the case when I see them being worn. For the average American, it comes across way more as an obligation than a statement.

To be honest, if I was ever given a choice, I'd rather wear what I want to wear and be comfortable all day and make considerably less professionally than to have to suit up and play a role that's not me.
                  Again, I can respect those who enjoy wearing them but about 14 years ago, I worked in an office where I had to wear 'button up' shirts and that was sufferable enough.
                  Originally posted by mizzar
                  Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by beardown View Post
                    I like the look of a nice suit when it fits properly but so often, that's not the case when I see them being worn. For the average American, it comes across way more as an obligation than a statement.
                    Then why do you seem to be orientating yourself by the latter instead of the former?
                    Originally posted by jogu
                    i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• beardown
                      rekoner
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ProfMonnitoff View Post
                      Then why do you seem to be orientating yourself by the latter instead of the former?
                      For me, it is an obligation.
                      (As mentioned, weddings/funerals.)
                      That's why.

Scads of people choose professions where the suit is the daily requirement and yet the suit looks like it was thrust upon them rather than it having been chosen in many cases.
                      Oftentimes it looks too much like a rigid costume and not like an outfit designed to appear powerful and impressive.

When I have to do it, I try to do it well at least.

Does that simplify my comment?

Comment

• tricotineacetat
                        • Aug 2009

I think it's quite a bit lazy of an observation equalize comfort with wearing roomy clothes in soft, lightweight materials - There is an element of confidence involved in wearing a beautifully tailored, perfectly fitted garment that feels custom made for yourself that supports the posture of the wearer, just as much as it would make a woman feel great and confident wearing an body hugging Alaia or Hervé Leger dress and high heels. I wouldn't want to miss either one side of fashion - the slouch and the discipline.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by beardown View Post
                          I consider it a personal victory that I've made it to the age I am without ever having to wear any kind of suit. I have a couple of nice ones but I can't help but associate them with funerals and weddings.

To be honest, if I was ever given a choice, I'd rather wear what I want to wear and be comfortable all day and make considerably less professionally than to have to suit up and play a role that's not me.
                          Again, I can respect those who enjoy wearing them but about 14 years ago, I worked in an office where I had to wear 'button up' shirts and that was sufferable enough.
                          A-FUCKING-MEN!!!
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• beardown
                            rekoner
                            • Feb 2009

To each their own but I've never equated 'personal confidence' with comfort.

There is a vast world of garments that land between a pair of sweatpants and a full suit. I just prefer to wear what I feel comfortable in rather than what someone expects me to feel comfortable in.

That, my friends, is freedom and success to me.
                            I've been in many situations where I end up at a restaurant or meeting full of guys in suits and they might consider me well under dressed but I see a lot of them and think it's no different than a uniform.

And unfortunately (and personally) I equate uniforms to people who are oppressed in some way.
                            Again, that feeling of obligation that they have to wear something whether they want to or not. If they like wearing suits, good for them.
                            If not, I can't help but pity the poor souls.
                            Again, to each their own.

Everyone defines success and freedom in a different way. And for me, a part of that is the option to do what I want, when I want. My time is my own...I take a great amount of pride in that personally.

Comment

• hurricane08
                              • Nov 2008

Shoes : Especially sneakers.Lanvin lowtops & hightops ,Les Hommes,Rick Owens hightops.
                              Pants/Jeans : Rick Owens Trouser,PRPS, dsquared jeans(ok throw me tomatoes) ,Helmut Lang trouser from season 01 .Hope to buy a grey dior and a drkshdw next year.
                              tees: neil barrett,malo,alexander mcqueen,james perse and my immortal-10 years- vintage tee from jil sander .
                              jackets: rick owens,givenchy,balenciaga,neil barrett and a mmm blazer

Comment

• comex9
                                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                                A-FUCKING-MEN!!!
                                Wrong! You honor someone or event with a suit. Plain and simple. Hooray for the suit. May you live forever

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎