X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fade to Black
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by XenoX101 View Post
    Having something in your closet doesn't mean it shows up in WAYWT, I'm just going by what I see in WAYWT and to be honest I think it's almost irrelevant what people have in their closets, I know I have plenty of clothes that have never seen the light of day. It's the equivalent of having a plethora of books in your bookcase which you have never read and never will read (or might skim and never fully indulge in).

True, there is more commitment involved with clothes, I can understand the accessibility and comfort factor too, it is much easier to buy a CCP piece in this community than it is to buy a Jil Sander one. But at the same time there are many places online as well as stores which sell the less talked about brands, even if it means you can't buy used for cheap.

Certainly discussed, I mentioned this. But as for being worn, not so much, I haven't really seen any dries-esque (floral, pattern, a shimmer of luxury/extravagance) dries pieces worn in WAYWT. Some examples would be great though.
    You didn't really bother me on Sufu, but your foray into SZ makes me want to hurt you.
    www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

The reason I will probably ban you, Xerox, soon enough is that you came here after you were banned on SuFu, which means that you were not interested in SZ in the first place, which makes you a troll.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• merkuri
        • Sep 2009

i think xenox was even banned from honestforums.

Comment

• Fade to Black
          • Sep 2008

Can't really blame him as an individual and his actions too much; he is young and trying to find himself. It's just he's going about it the wrong way and also too irksome with his precociousness.
          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• merkuri
            • Sep 2009

^no you can still blame him.

Comment

• XenoX101
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              The reason I will probably ban you, Xerox, soon enough is that you came here after you were banned on SuFu, which means that you were not interested in SZ in the first place, which makes you a troll.
              I didn't know about SZ until later on, you can't call someone a troll simply for not registering on a forum until a given point in time. I can assure you if I didn't genuinely care I wouldn't have even started this topic let alone replied in great detail.

I understand though, that this is probably the last topic I should create as a member here, not the first, for this I apologize. I will however go through the motions and post a WAYWT here when I'm ready, if I am given a chance.

Thanks Faust at least for letting this topic gain some momentum and bring about some interesting discussion.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Aaahhh, you are so sweet! How can I ban such a swell guy?
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  Aaahhh, you are so sweet! How can I ban such a swell guy?
                  why ban, really? The thread has certainly elicited some excellent posts from others, and the OP has only been polite. Let's just enjoy it while it lasts.
                  ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

I'm not!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Magician
                      • Jul 2008

One problem with this thread is it assumes "similarity" is necessarily negative. Uniqueness and individual character are important but not the end-all and be all of fashion. Sometimes people don't want to worry about intellectual connotations of dress and just want to wear attractive, comfortable clothing.

What's so wrong with variations on a theme?
                      Selling badass McQueen topcoat 48/38/M. I also write and tweet.

Comment

• Johnny
                        • Sep 2006

the problem with the original post was not necessarily the content but the context. you wouldn't go up to a bunch of guys on a street corner, who you hadn't met before, and ask them why they all look alike when, in fact, you'd heard that they are supposed to celebrate individuality. I'd imagine you'd get your arse kicked if you did.

anyway he's sort of apologised for that and has been polite since.

but the other thing is that the answer, as many have alluded to, is really simple. people who who have a community of interests will like, well, the same or similar things. when this is clothing, it's not exactly surprising that there will be a degree of similarity in how people appear. this is both inevitable and innocuous. i have a lot of sympathy for the substance of the critisism, such as it is, in any case. in other words, i agree that a lot of people look quite similar.

what i do find more problematic is the notion that you can't like pop and classical music. this is such nonsense! the tom ford analogy is seriously off. more accurate would be the comparison of a ccp suit, or a c diem shirt, to a tee shirt, or a 5 pocket jean. you can fanny around with anotamical cutting and luxe/sand-buried fabrics all you want, but you will not improve on the design of these basic pieces. they work as they are. the riff at the start of Day Tripper, or the "dum dum dum" of West End Girls; if you don't like these things because they are not bartok, you are daft.

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                          what i do find more problematic is the notion that you can't like pop and classical music. this is such nonsense! the tom ford analogy is seriously off. more accurate would be the comparison of a ccp suit, or a c diem shirt, to a tee shirt, or a 5 pocket jean. you can fanny around with anotamical cutting and luxe/sand-buried fabrics all you want, but you will not improve on the design of these basic pieces. they work as they are. the riff at the start of Day Tripper, or the "dum dum dum" of West End Girls; if you don't like these things because they are not bartok, you are daft.
                          Johnny, I had been listening to pop/rock music for years when I suddenly stopped about three years ago. I used to be a big fan of Sonic Youth, the Swans, PJ Harvey, Will Oldham... - not to name some of the great old ones. I still have hundred of LP's - I'm from the pre-download era. Even if i had my "hits" in classical music, I wasn't really in it then. I suppose you can say that I was liking pop and classical at the same time.

I can't explain what happened - the fact is that I do not listen to pop music anymore. Not because of a certain form of snobism - I have nobody here to be snob with, no one cares about what I like. Pop music has simply lost any kind of attract. It doesn't feed me.
                          However, I didn't become one of those music lovers who know to the bone every interpretation of every sonata of every composer since Haydn - being of very poor memory, I always fail to recall the numbers of the pieces in the catalogue anyway, and frankly I do not care. All I know is that some interpretations of some very particular movements are all I need to listen to, and that I would like some notes to last forever. Pop music never touched me so deeply, never offered me such an access to... whatever.

It is a bit long and quite personal, I know, but I didn't want you to read any snobish despise toward pop music in my previous posts. The fact that I can't like it anymore doesn't mean it doesn't deserve it - just that turning your back from it may happen.
                          I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                          I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• Chant
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2008

^
                            Jumping in, but only for a side note :
                            Mail-Moth originaly said : "from Madonna to Fauré's requiem", which are for him, I guess, two emblematic examples of poor pop music and poor classical music*.

* : yes, I know one can enjoy listening once, or twice, or ten times to this Requiem. But not a hundred times. This is, for me, one of the difference between something "nice" and something really interesting : the more you listen to/read/see it, the more you like it, and most important, the more you discover, or understand, aspects of it you didn't experience before.
                            And the need to renew regularly your closet is the proof that fashion isn't art.

Fabien, Benjamin : vous n'avez pas l'impression que Xenox est une sorte de Corbeau version anglophone ?
                            Last edited by Chant; 09-09-2009, 06:32 AM.

Comment

• Johnny
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Christian View Post
                              ^
                              Jumping in, but only for a side note :
                              Mail-Moth originaly said : "from Madonna to Fauré's requiem", which are for him, I guess, two emblematic examples of poor pop music and poor classical music*.

* : yes, I know one can enjoy listening once, or twice, or ten times to this Requiem. But not a hundred times. This is, for me, one of the difference between something "nice" and something really interesting : the more you listen to/read/see it, the more you like it, and most important, the more you discover, or understand, aspects of it you didn't experienced before.
                              And the need to renew regurlarly your closet is the proof that fashion isn't art.

Fabien, Benjamin : vous n'avez pas l'impression que Xenox est une sorte de Corbeau version anglophone ?
                              It is indeed.

Also, yes the point is about [I]poor[I] music, not its genre necessarily. There are some terrible Madonna songs that I couldn't listen to, but there are some (not many mind you) that I can listen to and revisit and enjoy.

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                                • Mar 2009

Christian, yes, this is the point. Same goes for the Karl Orff/Metallica collusion, frequently observed among the basic metal fans.

Pour répondre à ta question, je ne sais pas, je n'ai pas tant que ça pratiqué le corbeau qui me semblait toutefois un poil plus agressif. Celui-là veut juste être mollement embarrassant et avoir raison à la fin
                                I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                                I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎