• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Men's Footwear

[quote user="casem83"]So, for the people that already have the Cloak leather/felt boots, any ideas on how to take care of them? They have wood soles which I've never dealt with before. Should I consider getting a rubber sole on them, or anyother form of protection I should use for the soles?
    [/quote]

Nothing to consider. Rubber sole is a must, as weel as taps on the heel area. It should run you around $30 total at a good cobbler. Anecdotal evidence, Alex himself was recommending this to someone buying a pair at the sample sale.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ddohnggo
      • Oct 2006

should rubber soles only be applied to shoes with wooden soles? been wearing my cdiem shoes, but they don't have wooden soles (as far as i know)
      Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• casem
        • Sep 2006

Thanks guys for the advice! I'll go get some soles on them ASAP. I thought I probably should because they are quite noisy and slippery as they are.

music

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="ddohnggo"]should rubber soles only be applied to shoes with wooden soles? been wearing my cdiem shoes, but they don't have wooden soles (as far as i know)
          [/quote]

I'd put them on.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• deuxmille
            • Nov 2006

I personally don't like to put rubber soles on dress shoes, but on boots, I'd recommend them strongly.

Comment

• Fuuma
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="deuxmille"]I personally don't like to put rubber soles on dress shoes, but on boots, I'd recommend them strongly.[/quote]^

Seconded, I like to keep the shape more streamlined on my dress shoesand rubber soles get in the way, boots are more "in your face" anyway so rubber soles actually give them some more "umf" to go with the better grip and added durability.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
              http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• pbt
                • Jan 2007

Anyoneknow ofanyqualityproblems with CostumeNational footwear?Pair of ankle boots I'm fond of has a self destruct mechanism, namely a complete crap welt which disintegrated after only a year's light wear, and so the glued outsoles started to come off having nothing left to stick to properly. I've got a good cobbler who's going to use somedecent leather to replace the welts and stitch on the outsoles. He confirms my impression that the remaining materials are in fact ofgood quality.I'm wondering if this is an aberration or typical?If it's typical it just seems stupid to me. Use great materials except for the one component the buyer can't see, which also happens to be the least costly, andthen skimp on itscuppering the life of the shoe. Makes no sense to me.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="pbt"]

Anyoneknow ofanyqualityproblems with CostumeNational footwear?Pair of ankle boots I'm fond of has a self destruct mechanism, namely a complete crap welt which disintegrated after only a year's light wear, and so the glued outsoles started to come off having nothing left to stick to properly. I've got a good cobbler who's going to use somedecent leather to replace the welts and stitch on the outsoles. He confirms my impression that the remaining materials are in fact ofgood quality.I'm wondering if this is an aberration or typical?If it's typical it just seems stupid to me. Use great materials except for the one component the buyer can't see, which also happens to be the least costly, andthen skimp on itscuppering the life of the shoe. Makes no sense to me.

[/quote]

Yea, Costume National is not the best quality, that's why I don't understand when they raised their prices in the last couple of years. My wife's CN boots lost their heal on day 2, and my friend had a strap broken on her shoes on day 1 (granted we were dancing like crazy, but still). I used to buy a fair amount of CN, but I haven't gotten anything in the past several years.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Rick Owens (SS07, I believe). The only think I don't like about his footwear (well, besides the 5" heels) is the rubber sole.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Rick Owens

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• PrinceOfCats
                        • Jan 2007

"Not very exciting, I know, but does anyone own a pair of the long-running Raf velcro sneakers?
                        I
                        had thought the lo-top version was nice but a a waste of money.
                        However, this green pair is now quite affordable in my size on Yoox.
                        But will they fall apart after a few months?"

I bought that pair about a month ago (but in black). Be warned, if you have large feet they will look absurd with anything but the baggiest of trousers; they elongate the feet in a very unflattering manner.

the extraordinary metamorphosis of one black liquid into another

Comment

• Anonymous
                          • Sep 2006

i've actually seen someone wearing these. the soles are well made, but the leather is not good. the guy i saw had worn them for three months, and they were already not handling creases well.

Comment

• Anonymous
                            • Sep 2006

in my opinion, costume national has not made a well built shoe since 1999.

Comment

• Anonymous
                              • Sep 2006

that's so funny faust,

i was with a friend yesterday, and we were talking about the same thing. the rubber sole to me was a ridiculous choice.

but the bigger you get, the more things change, especially when you have investors breathing down your neck.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

[quote user="PrinceOfCats"]

"Not very exciting, I know, but does anyone own a pair of the long-running Raf velcro sneakers?
                                I
                                had thought the lo-top version was nice but a a waste of money.
                                However, this green pair is now quite affordable in my size on Yoox.
                                But will they fall apart after a few months?"

I bought that pair about a month ago (but in black). Be warned, if you have large feet they will look absurd with anything but the baggiest of trousers; they elongate the feet in a very unflattering manner.

[/quote]

Hello, sailor!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎