X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shucks
    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    I don'g to to festivals and I couldn't care less about Burning Man or whatever fucking utopia kids make up to go get high and fuck - more power to them. But {what} you two are saying belongs into WTF thread. Not even worth arguing.
    seconded.

and fuck the city's "displacement" of homeless people (hello daily hosing down of market st...), ellis act/airbnb evictions of elderly and families and the rent hikes in SF. in fact, fuck 'displacement' of homeless people, evictions and rent hikes ANYWHERE. and fuck those who consciously "take a part of the pie" at the expense of someone less priviledged/wealthy and fuck you two and your neo-liberal undertone in endorsing it.

Comment

• DudleyGray
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
      seconded.

and fuck the city's "displacement" of homeless people (hello daily hosing down of market st...), ellis act/airbnb evictions of elderly and families and the rent hikes in SF. in fact, fuck 'displacement' of homeless people, evictions and rent hikes ANYWHERE. and fuck those who consciously "take a part of the pie" at the expense of someone less priviledged/wealthy and fuck you two and your neo-liberal undertone in endorsing it.
      Love this post.
      bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• apathy!
        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
        seconded.

yeah pretty much. The "it's always changing anyway so who cares" attitude is pretty weak.

Comment

• j100000
          • May 2014

I've seen someone call a bamba 2 the poor mans ccp drip, Ive also seen someone say OXS rubber soul is the knock off version, well I believe these are the poor mans drip LOL

Comment

• guardimp
            • Jun 2010

I'm rather confused at the backlash to people with money coming into an event and it changing. It's not like this is new to burning man, what with tickets being over 300 dollars. Or is it just the super rich that are an issue? This seems a lot like people who aren't the producers but rather consumers with less money being outspent for a limited good, do you also have hatred for art prices? You are directing anger at us when it seems like BM leadership is the issue. Hiking ticket prices till they make an absurd profit, encouraging the commodification of the playa.

Seems like burning man has not been for the working man for a while, Disney world for alternative adults was a good moniker. And Disney world isn't for the working class but rather the (mainly upper) middle class. Who can afford it on a working salary, I know we couldn't.

How is going to an event to provide a service for someone else to the detriment of someone less wealthy, I'm not sure I follow your critique of working. Working enables people who aren't so "privileged" or are "less wealthy" to do the things like go to parties or festivals. So when money comes in it lets other people see something for free. If anything your argument is the liberal one, I work for my keep so I'm bad and all they have to do is get hosed down and they are better than me? Would you say that someone who was in OWS was good too? Or just the kids who didn't have to worry about the future and got to sit in the park?

Also what makes it that since one person was there then they deserve to be there forever? That they have a right to be wherever they want just because they happened to be there first? Is I got here first, fuck all you new people a good argument? Because from my peoples perspective, all you Americans came here and stole our land, killed our people, and destroyed our societies. Now it's just appropriation of culture and ignoring societal calamities. But the big issue is that rich people are here right?

Comment

• guardimp
              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by LelandJ View Post
              Since I'm reading about Burning Man here I might as well ask. Do hundreds of djs go to this thing and are you always hearing music from different sound systems at the same time?
              Yes there are tons of djs, and a lot more people who just make noise. Most of the good sound is centered in the ends at sound camps. But you also have good places to hear stuff like the robot heart bus. They have recordings saved, pretty awesome stuff.

Comment

• Fuuma
                • Sep 2006

I'm glad to see hippy festivals are now about the trickle down effect and "job creators".
                Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Shucks
                  • Aug 2010

karma is a bitch

Comment

• guardimp
                    • Jun 2010

Shucks - If only the playa was like that. Too many people lately. They keep making it larger to make more money.

And fuuma, this stopped being a hippie festival long ago. If that's what you want just go to a rainbow gathering. Much more along the lines of what you, Faust, and shucks want. Don't think you would fit in much though.

Is it that far fetched an idea that when someone pays me I have a job? That when places charge a lot to most people they can afford to have a smaller group pay less? I don't see the trickle down there, just average cost per person.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by fit magna caedes
                      Pretty much every alternative medicine/spiritual-growth type that I've met has been a ruthless capitalist in everything but rhetoric. Hippies have been capitalists since almost the word go, they just hate to see capital splashing around in hippy-land while openly admitting what it is...
                      I will never drink a Celestial Seasonings tea again!!!
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• princess
                        • Dec 2013

Originally posted by guardimp View Post
                        Shucks - If only the playa was like that. Too many people lately. They keep making it larger to make more money.
                        Originally posted by fit magna caedes
                        Pretty much every alternative medicine/spiritual-growth type that I've met has been a ruthless capitalist in everything but rhetoric. Hippies have been capitalists since almost the word go, they just hate to see capital splashing around in hippy-land while openly admitting what it is...

They keep making it larger by a certain number of tickets because that's what BLM regulations allow. Don't quote me on this, but I heard that BLM regulations allow an increase of 5,000 participants each year. I've gone three times and I must say, I am constantly blown away by their infrastructure. I'm not even going to complain about how much they grow each year because their shit is so well-organized. And if one of their main tenets is radical inclusion, wouldn't this serve to accommodate this goal?

And if we are trying to complain about the rising ticket prices or somehow argue that BMOrg is now a moneymaking, evil capitalist organization (or whatever), consider the fact that the ticket price is roughly the same as that of Coachella, which offers only a weekend of entertainment. The scale is totally not on the same level, either. Like, come on now...it's so huge that it's officially a city for that one week. I think it's actually reasonable to say that the ticket cost actually just goes toward the infrastructure, and not ridiculous profit margins. They also offer applications for low-income tickets(~$170). Almost all of my friends who have applied have been granted them. I could go on and on about the art installation grants they provide, the legal team that prevents commercial use of photographs/video/media taken on the playa, recent programs that were implemented to prevent scalping, the amazing teams that make sure everyone is *actually* safe, etc. to argue against the "commodification of the playa"...I would gladly pay that chunk of money to an organization that actually gives a shit about its participants. It's certainly a lot less money than I would blow on a regular week-long vacation.

I am so confused by all this recent media hype about BM. It's confusing everyone else who hasn't gone more, apparently. These articles make such general statements when in fact everyone has a completely unique experience. yes, some people go there to get fucked up and party, but the folks at the camp I go with, Math Camp, are brilliant engineers that nerd out about math, give/receive physics lectures, and drink classy ass liquor. They might be some of the most brilliant minds in the silicon valley, but they are nothing like the "tech elite" that these articles mention. People make such reductive statements about the kind of people that go.

umm....and since this is under the "random fashion thoughts" thread, I do have to point out that BM has supplied me with a lifetime of fashion design and personal style inspiration. I think a lot of you might feel the same way because you look like you're dressed for the desert anyway :P
                        Last edited by princess; 08-26-2014, 11:46 PM.

Comment

• fncyths
                          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          I will never drink a Celestial Seasonings tea again!!!
                          take that back faust. walking into their peppermint room at their compound in boulder is psychedelic bliss
                          Originally posted by Shucks
                          it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                          Originally posted by interest1
                          I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• BlacknWhite
                            • Apr 2014

Idk if its because the Ackermann coat this upcoming f/w is felted on SSENSE, but holy shit. It's over a thousand dollars more than what two other boutiques are charging for the same coat in different colors...

Comment

• nicelynice
                              • Oct 2009

The egg-shaped one? They were $4000 here, beautiful cut and fabric but took one look at the price and turned around

Comment

• BlacknWhite
                                • Apr 2014

^lol never thought of it as egg shaped, but yea I guess. Nearly hitting the 4k mark at $3,975 on SSENSE.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎