• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eleven crows
    • Mar 2011

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

dont have the time to quote everyone but just to touch on a few points..........

the idea that seeing a garment made of 100% Cotton makes you not want to buy it is crazy..............there is really no better, durable, versatile fabric than cotton, which is why i use it all season round and buy tones of it whenever I can. if you should come to my Studio there are rolls and rolls of fabric of which 90% of it is either 1005 Cotton or a Cotton lien blend of endless weaves, thickness and textures.

I don't believe in too much clothing that is difficult to care for or cant take a beating, and cotton is the most durable fabric known to man..........Silks are luxurious but the don't last and don't do well with hand washing, they are not suitable for everyday wear...........woolens are good for Coats and suits but dont do well with hanwashing and cannot withstand the everyday wear of cottons

Linens are great for their breathability and natural look but absolutely nothing like good ole Cotton

all the Cashmere and other fancy fabrics are good for their feeling...........but nothing like good ole Cotton..............there is a reason why the best denim is made of 100% Cotton

Now on to designers,

what I wear and what interest me creatively and culturally are two different things. I can like the work of a designer i would never wear, I could see and understand their creations outside of the context of "how does this apply to me"...........

I am going to say something that I may get into a lot of trouble for. I think this Niche Market that surround made of the designers featured here on SZ, will have to be shaken up soon. its getting to a point where there is too much sameness, too many people doing too similar things for too small a client base. After you have bought so many pullovers, so many leather jackets, so many boots the whole thing begins to get pointless..........

I agree with Faust about having a uniform, for me I wear almost the same things, or at least very similar things on an everyday basis, I am one of those persons who once I find a few things that suits me personally, I dont mind having multiple variations of the same thing, or even multiples of exactly the same thing.
      I think a store like Atelier was very Smart when they began to expand their offering of designers.......
      the big issue, is that I have not seen very many newer designers who have a unique vision, or is at least willing to take the kind of risks that will result in a creative breakthrough. For many is all about drapey pieces, asymmetric zippers and jersey tops, along with the predictable leather jacket..........

lets see who is gonna make a big breakthrough for 2012................my money is on BBS
      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Patroklus
        Banned
        • Feb 2011

Aren't linen and hemp more durable natural fibers than cotton?

Comment

• widmerpool
          • Nov 2010

In my experience linen holds it shape until it falls apart, while cotton can become unwearable due to loss of shape while still being fine otherwise. I like the way linen and cotton age a lot better than wool. Fading and fraying is nicer than shiny patches.
          http://asteroidanxiety.bandcamp.com

Comment

• michael_kard
            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by zamb View Post
            I am going to say something that I may get into a lot of trouble for. I think this Niche Market that surround made of the designers featured here on SZ, will have to be shaken up soon. its getting to a point where there is too much sameness, too many people doing too similar things for too small a client base. After you have bought so many pullovers, so many leather jackets, so many boots the whole thing begins to get pointless..........

I agree with Faust about having a uniform, for me I wear almost the same things, or at least very similar things on an everyday basis, I am one of those persons who once I find a few things that suits me personally, I dont mind having multiple variations of the same thing, or even multiples of exactly the same thing.
            I think a store like Atelier was very Smart when they began to expand their offering of designers.......
            the big issue, is that I have not seen very many newer designers who have a unique vision, or is at least willing to take the kind of risks that will result in a creative breakthrough. For many is all about drapey pieces, asymmetric zippers and jersey tops, along with the predictable leather jacket..........

lets see who is gonna make a big breakthrough for 2012................my money is on BBS
            I completely agree with you on all but one point... BBS? I don't think he'll ever reach a more mainstream audience if he doesn't make his clothes a bit more beautiful... All the stiff pressed materials, horrible looking boots and wacky tailoring combined with all the hanging flaps and strings and whatever... No way.....
            ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
            Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Johnny
              • Sep 2006

ooooooo, hanging flaps, love a bit of hanging flaps i do.

Comment

• Johnny
                • Sep 2006

why this sweater called no seam sweater? all i can see are seams.

Comment

• docus
                  • Dec 2010

I think it's because it is fully fashioned, rather than cut and sewn - the different planes of knit are knitted into one another at the intersections rather than stitched together. In this sense, it is 'seamless', as there is no break in the knitting. You can create interesting shapes, lines and volumes in this way. There is nothing unusual about it - people having been making 'no-seam' sweaters forever (just in case anyone thought CCP invented this technique).

Comment

• endorphinz
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2009

the more i Iook @ fits, both in static pics and in living life, I'm reminded of something taught to me decades ago:

K(eep) I(t) S(imple) S(toopid)

the most simple, uncluttered, body flattering fits are always the most visually pleasing ..... and sexy.

Obviously, we all have different sexiness triggers but I find that mine begin with simplicity..... and yeah, style is about sex.... to me anyway.

disclaimer: I'm not talkin bout showin skin... less is not always better in this regard. I didn't mean to imply that style=sleaze

Comment

• kunk75
                      Banned
                      • May 2008

going to the Firm is always hysterical. Saw 12 pairs of ro trainers, 4 tornadoes, 2 rubber band boots and several pairs of august as lined up. they have more desirable footwear on one shelf than atelier, ro ny or darklands has in the whole store.

Comment

• theaddict
                        • Apr 2008

thats the place next to Chris French, no? I think i just passed it...
                        Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• kunk75
                          Banned
                          • May 2008

^yessir

Comment

• theaddict
                            • Apr 2008

hmmm, i guess we just missed each other...hahaha
                            Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• tron
                              • Dec 2010

I agree with you Zam. Although I do like this movement of darker aesthetics, draping, and etc... I've noticed a lot of brands looking very similar lately. Especially with newer designers that channel that kind of aesthetic I have a hard time telling many of them apart. Not to say that what they're doing isn't good work but it all seems like something I've seen before. I'd really like to see some breakthroughs in the next season especially by BBS as he is one of my favorite designers. He clearly has the creativity and the drive to do something amazing so I see it as just a matter of time. I'd like to see more use of the transparent leather he developed as well.
                              "I think perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the things humans make, I want to see scars, failure, disorder, distortion."

Comment

• endorphinz
                                Banned
                                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
                                going to the Firm is always hysterical. Saw 12 pairs of ro trainers.

why are all the dick sneaks there? what repairs can be done to sneakers and why do they need repairs anyway do people actually play ball in them? and even if they do, why do they wear out so easily?

another old man's story:
                                when I wad kid, I played lots of handball,4 wall handball and paddleball during the summer months. I would wear out a pair of converse sneaks (you younguns know them as chucks) in less than a week. There was a shoe repair guy in da bronx that used to use auto tires and glue them ( he called it vulcanize but it was really glue) to the soles of the cons. He used the 'wall' of the tires and glued them to the front/tip of the sneaks like a bumper. The end product was heavy but absolutely indestructible *I had one of the first pair of addida ever imported into the uas , heavy leather, made in ' W Germany ' vulcanized and they lasted 4ever. that tire shit was impossible to wear out

anyway, what does Thr Firm do the the ro sneaks and what are people doing to them that make it necessary?

Btw: I paid $6.99 for my 'cons'. At that time, they were not a fashion statement but a tool for serious jocks... all the other brands... keds, ps flyers etc, were known as ''skippies" and garnered much ridicule on the court

but,digress. my question is:
                                why are there so many firm dicks?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎