Clear All
  • Fenix
    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by curiouscharles View Post
    "what's your best price?"

"xxx dollars"

"but that's your best price?"

"fuck you."
    Haha, I'm experiencing this now. When you're buying unused Rick at Banana Republic prices, don't try to negotiate down to Gap prices for fucks sake....
    Originally posted by hausofblaq
    Grow up.

Comment

• gawkrodger
      • Jun 2013

I reckon we could set up an imbecilic ebay/grailed questions thread.

A recent conversation I had to endure

'measurements?'

'sorry?'

'what are the measurements of the jacket?'

'measurements are in the listing'

'but what are they in cm?' - I had listed sizing details in inches. Pretty clear this was turning into a waste of time

'just google the conversion!'

a couple of days later I receive an offer from the same individual. An offer $550 less than the listing price.

'Are you serious? I can only assume you are about 16'

'what?'

'Why are you wasting both my time and yours with such a stupid lowballing offer?'

'it's what I am willing to pay for it. Will you accept?'

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Maybe it's better this stuff stays off SZ. Why waste everyone's time with this bullshit?
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fenix
          • Aug 2010

Good point Faust. Unfortunately, this is bleeding over heavily into SZ.
          Originally posted by hausofblaq
          Grow up.

Comment

• curiouscharles
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            Maybe it's better this stuff stays off SZ. Why waste everyone's time with this bullshit?
            sorry, i'll accept responsibility.

Originally posted by Fenix View Post
            but yes, this was kind of why it was prevalent on my mind again today.

it's pervading every platform now [yes, every platform].
            —
            -

Comment

• unwashed
              • Dec 2008

It's a buyers market out there, it seems becoming more and more oversaturated. Only sellers complain. Complaining sellers ask high prices, usually because a) sentimental value b) bought at full retail.

But look at the devaluation of other consumer goods like cars or electronics . After a year or 2 prices drop insanely. In the PC market it's even worse to sell. We should not complain that much in the second hand clothing market.

You don't see buyers complain about ridiculously high prices for years old second hand used garments. Buyers now have multiple options and even now more than ever with constant 70% sale periods every couple of months. Buyers are getting used to these prices and these prices are becoming the standard nowadays. Only the rich and enthusiast buyers buy at full retail, the rest ends up on sale. Sellers gotta deal with bargainers, or don't sell. And we sellers need to realize clothes aren't fine wines or rolexes that gain value over time.
              Grailed link

Comment

• Defender
                Banned
                • Jan 2015

Honestly, it's because we are about to enter a global economic crisis worse than in 2008. We are entering the "post job" era.

Gonna be a wild ride.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fenix View Post
                  I know. Still, I don't see much point in venting (though it feels nice, for sure). I am not trying to censor, just saying.

Market saturation is one thing. Another thing though is, as I said, younger people en masse being more and more aware of this type of fashion, without the funds to back up their interest. I, for one, don't want to deal with a bunch of high school kids trying to buy their first long black tee. Mature people with disposable income are less prone to heavy bargaining. It's in bad taste.

Personally, I'd rather not sell to people like that (maybe I'm in a position of luxury here). Recent example. Got offered $300 for the RO Memphis I have listed for $350. I countered with $325, half way. The buyer countered with $310. At this point, this is a matter of principle, so I told him to go on his merry way. I'd rather keep the jeans.

Also, it's these bargain hunters who take most of your energy and are usually the least satisfied. I don't need the headache.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• NOHSAD
                    • Nov 2014

While my experience with Grailed (both as a buyer and seller) has been smooth for the times I've used it, I have no doubt that the foolish lowballing that goes on is from the crowd Faust describe; lots of interest, lack of funds or even self control to save up the funds. I would be fucking annoyed if I was selling my ZB coat (even though I don't see that happening anytime in the future) and got nothing but shit offers from multiple people. I'm not a sucker and the last thing I personally want is to sell it to some HS kid with a lack of knowledge of the style and don't know how to wear it for the life of them...
                    "Instead of feeling alone in a group, it's better to have real solitude all by yourself"

ShopDDavis.etsy.com

IG: @D.__Dvais

Comment

• cloakroom
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Defender View Post
                      Honestly, it's because we are about to enter a global economic crisis worse than in 2008. We are entering the "post job" era.

Gonna be a wild ride.
                      So true, thanks for the reality check.

Comment

• delicious_not
                        • Dec 2012

so glad that this rick hoodie is now available as a part of drkshdw collection. been eyeing this design for a while, but it was only in the mainline. there is a clear distinction of what i buy from both lines, and in my mind this basic cotton hoodie doesn't match with cashmere knits or tailored coats.

gonna have to remove the drawstrings though, that's what i always do with every black rick/drkshdw. i just don't get this part. if i do an all black, why the fuck should i have those beige drawstrings?

Comment

• Vinyl Only
                          • Jun 2012

Beige strings.

I have all of one drkshdw piece with the beige drawstrings but I find them quite distinctive.
                          All of the designers copying this detail is testament to this.

Comment

• vtlynch
                            • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Lex1017 View Post
                            As an aside, how do people on grailed acquire full size runs of items to sell? Are they stores selling their unused inventories? People trying to profit on marked down stock? Theft? Fake?
                            I found a guy buying old season stuff from Yoox and then selling it on Grailed. Yoox had it for about 1/6th original retail, he marked it up 300% from that.

I posted comments on his listing with proof, since Yoox still had some in stock. But he just kept deleting and reposting every time and I couldnt keep up forever.

I suspect that the ahistorical nature of fashion retailing and ecommerce make it easy for resellers to say things are "rare", "iconic", etc. After a season is over, you can barely even find evidence that some clothing existed.

Most people dont know how to go about finding out what pieces are worth, if they were widely marked down etc. Outside of the few brands I follow closely, I have no idea what something is worth, what season it was from, etc. Add in the fact that some retailers have such bad SEO that you would be hardpressed to find them in a simple google search and you wind up with a market with lots of asymmetrical information that can be used for an unfair advantage.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Vinyl Only View Post
                              I have all of one drkshdw piece with the beige drawstrings but I find them quite distinctive.
                              All of the designers copying this detail is testament to this.
                              I must agree.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• byhand
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by vtlynch View Post
                                I posted comments on his listing with proof, since Yoox still had some in stock. But he just kept deleting and reposting every time and I couldnt keep up forever.
                                It's not this particular seller's job to educate potential buyers where the best deal can be found. That's the buyer's job. I don't have any issue with what he is doing. He's taking the risk of buying something that he thinks he can sell for more than he's paying. That's how commerce works.

I've purchased items that I believed to be underpriced with the sole intention of selling those same items for more than I paid. I've done this more than a few times on grailed. Grailed is peopled by a lot of young folks who can't really afford items that they covet. Credit cards allow people to live the dream for five minutes until the bills start arriving. Eventually the realization sets in that the $2000 boots must go to pay the past due rent. Needing quick cash can mean the price is set low to make a fast sale. I have time to wait for a buyer who is willing to pay more. I buy and relist. How much profit I make from the transaction is not the buyer's business. I've had people on grailed raise a stink about what I am doing. They are usually people who were watching the item and waiting for it to be reduced in price. They see me swoop in and pay the full ask price and they then throw a fit when I repost the same item the following week for $200 more than the price they originally saw it at. I usually offer a quick lesson about capitalism when replying to their cries of foul and wish them well.
                                Last edited by byhand; 01-31-2016, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎