X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HWith
    • May 2007

^ Don't know if serious, but:
    Do you feel that you can't keep dressing the same way you do know as you get older? That a certain aesthetic/certain pieces may be 'off' when you reach a certain age - I'm merely curious...

Comment

• galia
      • Jun 2009

you weren't asking me, but I'd say : yes definitely. Some things I can't pull off anymore (mini skirts), some things I just no longer like (frayed clothing)

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by HWith View Post
        ^ Don't know if serious, but:
        Do you feel that you can't keep dressing the same way you do know as you get older? That a certain aesthetic/certain pieces may be 'off' when you reach a certain age - I'm merely curious...
        So far my philosophy of dressing is that in some way it simply reflect my life, certain experiences, points of view, etc, or simply the way I see myself (whatever that is). And if these change, then my dress code may change too. At this point I definitely don't see it changing for a while, but who knows. As Ann says, what remains is future
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Patroklus
          Banned
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by ambrosian View Post
          i no what u mean

cliche but ugly can be beautiful unless you've got those steve buscemi genetics.
          someone told me i looked like steve buscemi once
          for whatever it's worth, i found it more complimentary than macauly caulkin

I digress. a dichotomy exists between dressing in beautiful pieces all the time and trying to constantly express yourself through your clothes, as no one wants to express a image of perfection all the time - perfection is inhuman. I'm sure most of us didn't start off loving the dick, it's a love that starts off small and only gets bigger, and you have a mindset drift as it does.
          ugly mite be the wrong word for describing some of this stuff. it aint uggo it's just something that peeps at large don't have enough familiarity with, or aren't adventurous enough to grasp. to put it another way, "stranger's reactions to your clothes" is a mixture of strangers not rly making any effort to "get it" and also a bunch of us dressing terribly

Comment

• Dane
            HAMMERTIME
            • Feb 2011

My wardrobe has definitely become more conservative as I age. Things tend to fit a bit more loosely, fabrics are more casual/versatile (and somewhat more luxurious), colours are more muted (well, more black). Things like comfort are more important to me now than they were in the past as well.
            i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• galia
              • Jun 2009

yeah that could also apply to me. but I do think there is such a thing as age appropriate, but it can depend on body type.

Comment

• Patroklus
                Banned
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by galia View Post
                yeah that could also apply to me. but I do think there is such a thing as age appropriate, but it can depend on body type.
                when i think of things that stop being appropriate after a certain age, everything that comes to mind is awful to begin with.

Comment

• galia
                  • Jun 2009

I was talking more in terms of body shape tbh. Since I don't exercise, my legs are no longer the fab things they were when I was 20. Hence longer skirts

But 30somethings that still have the same style philosophy as when they were in their teens... I dunno, it makes me laugh and not in a very nice way (but then i'm not a very nice person)

Comment

• zamb
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by mike View Post
                    I know we are supposed to repost pics from the same page, but I remember this spread like it was yesterday.........

these were the days when vogue had some level of creative integrity, fashion was dynamic and interesting and new york was really exiting in those times.
                    the big greedy businessmen who have basically killed fashion via pure profiteering had not yet fully taken over.

from left to right:

Veronique Branquinho
                    Hedi Slimane (in his first go round)at YSL
                    Hussein Chalayan when he was London's fashion god
                    Filip Arickx. of AF Vandervorst
                    Nicolas Ghesquire. (Formerly of Balenciaga)
                    An Vandervorst
                    Lawrence Steele
                    Miguel Adrover
                    Viktor Horsting
                    Roberto Menichetti
                    Rolf Snoren
                    Olivier Theyskens
                    Josephus Thimister
                    Junya Watanabe
                    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• HWith
                      • May 2007

Of course some things may become inappropriate with age due to your body degenerating - short skirts may come to mind. They aren't very flattering if they show a lot of cellulite and fat legs. That's not what I meant though.

When I was younger I really liked the heavy goth-punk Julius pieces and the shredded and trashy N(N) pieces. As I have grown older I can still appreciate them for what they are, and I would still wear them well, being quite tall and lean, but I can't see myself wearing them anymore. I can't help but feeling too old for them - that I've reached a point in my life where I have to dress a bit more consevative, proper, 'nice'. Not that my Rick pieces are that much better, but I tend to stay away from unhemmed edges, frayed pieces - I don't wanna look trashy.

I guess part of it is social conditioning - people expect you to dress a certain way as you get older, get a job etc., but as mentioned before, wearing RO drop crotch shorts and boots isn't exactly very consevative either. I wonder where these self-imposed expectations and images of how I should dress come from.

Comment

• Dane
                        HAMMERTIME
                        • Feb 2011

I was talking more in terms of body shape tbh. Since I don't exercise, my legs are no longer the fab things they were when I was 20. Hence longer skirts

But 30somethings that still have the same style philosophy as when they were in their teens... I dunno, it makes me laugh and not in a very nice way (but then i'm not a very nice person)
                        This is what I was thinking too...there are parts of me I want well hidden now that they've all gone to hell. Skin tight jeans...anything sheer...sleeveless, etc. Not saying that it's wrong for anyone else, but as I age, there are things that I don't want to advertise.

I think it's good when a person's sense of style remains true to what they thought in their teens, but evolves into an adult's lifestyle. I still wear similar things to when I was a teen, but now they fit better, are better quality, and are more flattering. I've also moved on from visible labels...for some reason in my youth I felt having an advertisement on my body was becoming.
                        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• HWith
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by rilu
                          i'm really sorry for you :p not because you've changed your style (nothing wrong with that), but because the reason you've changed it is merely getting older. and because that implies being more conservative. it reminds me of that maxim: "revolutionary when young, conservative when old" - which is a dead-end of one's brain. speaking of culture or politics, if one can't stand behind certain ideas independently of one's age, if the reasons are conditioned by such an external factor, then what is the value of such reasons? they completely fail as arguments, and become non-reflected views or cheap excuses. and when it comes to style, they become trend-following, trying to fall into a certain group identity, etc.
                          again, i am not saying one's style can't change or shouldn't change. what i am saying is that one can remain as non-conservative as before, though what that means may change. for instance, due to a change in certain aesthetic views. but if getting adapted to the expectations of the society is that factor which causes one's style to change, then i wonder what is left there of one's style. i don't speak of dress-codes that one needs to fit in because of the job they are doing (though i think such dress-codes are inhumane). i'm speaking of what one wears in their free time (or, for example, what they wish they wore if they could afford it).
                          Don't get me wrong - my style is not changing because society expects me to dress a certain way as I get older. As I mentioned before - My Rick Owens outfits are not exactly conservatie and conformist - quite on the contrary, and my dad only recently stopped commenting on my drop crotch pants (thank God, it has only been 3 years!!!). Still there are some things I avoid - stuff that look too trashy - I think you know what I mean without me having to elaborate here. Maybe it's because it sends some kind of signal and people associate it with something I'm do not want to be associated with - rebellious youth culture, antiestablishmentarism (regarding heavily punk/goth inspired clothing) et cetera. Well, I'm just rambling here, and I don't really know what my point is, but it's getting late and my mind isn't too sharp right now. Hopefully someone will step in and eloquently put all my thoughts into text so it all makes sense - otherwise I shall return tomorrow and attempt it myself!

Comment

• endorphinz
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Mike Tyson
                            if you're 18 and not a rebel you don't have a heart.
                            if you're 30 and not bourgeois you don't have a brain.

dunno guys, I am the oldest creature on this forum and my style has been pretty consistent and stable for decades. but, unlike many of you I play it both ways. I feel equally comfortable dressing conservatively age appropriate (usually with some kinda twist) and wearing stuff usually worn by kids 1/3 my age. I've managed to take pretty good care of my body so the physical thing really isn't a big issue. however, since I've retired from training & sports it may become one. guess i'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Comment

• Patroklus
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2011

well, it's not that, for me. i ain't a prude, don't care if someone is walkin around with their dong or their meat curtains flappin around, i just kind of feel like showing too much skin is a bit insipid, stylistically.

rick owens crust comes to mind. miniskirts errywere and no skin to be found. if the models weren't wearing various leggings i think i would have liked the show a lot less.

like, regardless of whether or not my legs r kyot enuff 2 rock a microskirt (you KNOW they are but it's besides the point) i want to wear huge things with the largest amounts of yardage possible
                              cut slits in it if you want to flash some thigh, but waste material. please.

this might be a reaction to fast fashion. i can appreciate the minis from the 60s, especially juxtaposed with what was going on in mainstream fashion, but if you go into f21 or h&m, everything is so small and efficient, even the jackets and shirts are too damn short, so i feel somewhat obligated to wear all the fabric they aren't using.

Comment

• Lane
                                • Aug 2010

people are transient with their style just as with their ideas. Also, that isn't a maxim, that's just a shitty quote from Churchill.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎