X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Magic1
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by beardown View Post
    What a bunch of miserable, old twats on the right.

So that situation isn't the result of a culture that has done everything possible to justify racism, a right wing media that encourages constant fear and disinformation, an organization that encourages people to shoot first and ask later. It's because the kid was wearing a hooded sweatshirt.

You have Fox News that has done everything possible to whip the ignorant people of this country into a violent frenzy and then when shit like this happens, they blame everything else except the people who are praying for it to happen.

We are living in the age of the de-enlightenment where ignorance is celebrated and fear is considered a natural response to anything or anyone that is 'different' and justifies the use of violence and hatred.
    exactly

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Summer and the onslaught of cargo shorts and flip-flops begins. :(
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

So that situation isn't the result of a culture that has done everything possible to justify racism, a right wing media that encourages constant fear and disinformation, an organization that encourages people to shoot first and ask later. It's because the kid was wearing a hooded sweatshirt.

You have Fox News that has done everything possible to whip the ignorant people of this country into a violent frenzy and then when shit like this happens, they blame everything else except the people who are praying for it to happen.

We are living in the age of the de-enlightenment where ignorance is celebrated and fear is considered a natural response to anything or anyone that is 'different' and justifies the use of violence and hatred.
        A great Russian writer once called Soviet Russia (through a mouth of one of his characters) a country of unscared idiots. America then is a country of scared idiots.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
          • Nov 2006

I have a son, and God knows that I am seriously disturbed about this story.....
          I shall be wearing my hoodie on Monday in Support.
          I wish this for no parent, no father, and the whole thing is just really sad. believe me, if it was my son, I think they might have been talking about trying me instead.......

sad, sad, really sad
          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Patroklus
            Banned
            • Feb 2011

There's this really deplorable attitude I've observed where someone will ask, "What are these blacks/Hispanics/homosexuals/whatever other minorities complaining about, they already have equal rights!" as if this sort of thing doesn't happen, as if everyone actually has equal representation before the law, and as if that was the same thing as a society devoid of bigotry. They just ignore events like the death of Trayvon Martin, the shooting last year of Larry King, or the worrying rhetoric coming from the entire right in regards to women's right and insist that the discrepancy in status between the White Protestant Male and every other member of American society doesn't exist. I've heard terrifyingly ignorant words said against minorities as relatively unrepressed as fucking Catholics.

Comment

• beardown
              rekoner
              • Feb 2009

Part of the problem is the ignorant culture of the South. I try my best not to generalize but I've been there enough to know where the cancer is and how it spreads. It's by no means limited to that area but the overwhelming hypocrisy in this idea that these people in certain regions claim to be 'christian' and the sheer intolerance to anything and everything that is different is palpable when you're there.

I have relatives...many relatives that live in the south who take pride in their ignorance as a way of life. The political atmosphere, social atmosphere...they have always hindered progress of America as a whole in my opinion.

Having Obama elected almost felt like it became worse. And, as with so many other cultural and political differences, people draw lines and end up clinging harder than ever. To many, it's a pride issue but it always comes back to intolerance and ignorance and a media blast that would rather encourage it and fan the flames than mock and discourage it the way it should be mocked.

If we examine statistics only, each state in the south has its own tale to tell...the worst of the worst in most areas: health, economy, education, etc. They seem to be America's own worst enemy.

Here's an interesting study that concluded what most people have realized long ago: The 'bible belt' and other red states are big on damning things that they enjoy more than anyone else.
              Originally posted by mizzar
              Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• Patroklus
                Banned
                • Feb 2011

The light South has a schizophrenic slant. My aunt and uncle live in Asheville, North Carolina, a community full of hipsters and old hippies where the local Y has been offering yoga nonstop since the 70s and a man can get all the grass fed beef and fair trade coffee he can consume. And of course there's a cadre of residents that earnestly believe that Jesus is on his way to rapture them to heaven. Any day now.

Comment

• beardown
                  rekoner
                  • Feb 2009

A lot of people don't consider North Carolina to be a true southern state. And it's more 'purple' when it comes to politics. Not one of the staunch red states that are famously their own worst enemies.

It's come a long way in terms of culture because of the schools there and business probably.

Now, South Carolina....that's officially red as fuck.
                  Originally posted by mizzar
                  Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• several_girls
                    • Nov 2010

And Florida, which is the state where this happened. Oh god, Florida. Say what you will about political correctness, but I've never heard so many white people cracking racist jokes and dropping the n-bomb. Anytime I didn't laugh at the jokes or nod my head in agreement with what people were saying, they would just look at each other and shake their heads or smirk, "Poor thing, he doesn't get it. He can't accept reality. He's been brainwashed."

This is what the news doesn't tell you because it isn't really an event, that white supremacist attitudes are part of the social ambience.

Comment

• Patroklus
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2011

I've heard incredibly racially insensitive jokes and n-bombs in Southern California, although not since cutting the type of people who make them out of my life. Racism against Hispanics, not even exclusively illegal immigrants, is fairly common in the Inland Empire.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Part of the problem is the ignorant culture of the South. I try my best not to generalize but I've been there enough to know where the cancer is and how it spreads. It's by no means limited to that area but the overwhelming hypocrisy in this idea that these people in certain regions claim to be 'christian' and the sheer intolerance to anything and everything that is different is palpable when you're there.

I have relatives...many relatives that live in the south who take pride in their ignorance as a way of life. The political atmosphere, social atmosphere...they have always hindered progress of America as a whole in my opinion.

Having Obama elected almost felt like it became worse. And, as with so many other cultural and political differences, people draw lines and end up clinging harder than ever. To many, it's a pride issue but it always comes back to intolerance and ignorance and a media blast that would rather encourage it and fan the flames than mock and discourage it the way it should be mocked.

If we examine statistics only, each state in the south has its own tale to tell...the worst of the worst in most areas: health, economy, education, etc. They seem to be America's own worst enemy.

Here's an interesting study that concluded what most people have realized long ago: The 'bible belt' and other red states are big on damning things that they enjoy more than anyone else.
                        Preach it. It's high time someone pointed a finger not at Fox but at the ignorant, immoral, mean rednecks it panders to.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kuriz
                          • Nov 2010

After rewatching BBS fw12 what comes to my mind is whether or not people find it either interesting or silly to do all-in looks with a certain designer.
                          I enjoy watching through waywt thread because there are so many great pieces and ways to put them together and in general I think the standard is very high. But at the same time it is only very few that does "all-in" top to toe from one certain designer and even fewer that manages to make it look "cool as fuck", or how ever it is that awesome signature is. Without a doubt there have been some discussion about this that I simply just haven't come across and therefore I can't stop thinking: is it in sz-terms generally looked down (in lack of a better english word) upon if a person choses to always wear a certain designer or does it all come down to how the person manages to wear the styles and visualize the ideas behind?

Comment

• eleven crows
                            • Mar 2011

done right here

i've got no beef with it, if it's pulled off well. the biggest risk is that you'll be the one the clothes are wearing and not vice versa. you don't want to play mannequin. the same for any strong piece or outfits.

Comment

• avout
                              • Nov 2011

I guess some people avoid it because it can look a little costume-y, or mannequin like, as eleven crows said. That can easily slide into arguments about authenticity though, so I wouldn't even go there. If the clothes work well with each other (and items within a single line tend to), then the outfit works.

Kunk does plenty of head to toe rick, and there's probably others. Not sure about full BBS though.

Comment

• Oasis
                                • Apr 2011

I think what would look silly is if you simply 'copied and pasted' looks from the runway; there is no creativity, individuality or thought process in doing that. However, wearing full Rick or the likes, but with your own take on the styling can be done well in many cases..
                                Originally posted by christianef
                                u looks like tbone on the juice.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎