X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chameleon
    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Christian View Post
    So, we're waiting for the Moth's opinion, and then we'll agree with him.

also, thanks for the comments. I appreciate all input.

Comment

• Originally posted by Christian View Post
      Please keep on posting here, Flux !
      On a sidenote, when I met Flux the first time, I didn't know her, and her style catched my eye. I've seen a lot of women during FW, and didn't see what Snafu said. She's different, much different from the other ones you can see during these hipster days.
      Thank you Christian! You have been very sweet to me from the beginning. Don't you worry, I'll keep posting regardless of the mayhem it might cause! :)

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Flux, consider it a compliment. Besides, the discussion quickly took a more "global" tone (bandwagoneering/vs. personal style), which is good.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
          • Sep 2006

Can someone explain to me why people think "authenticity" is important? I'm really trying to think of something but I really can't pinpoint any reason why I'd care. I don't want to reflect the inner me; there is no inner me or rather "the inner me is unknown and unknowable". If there really is an inner me to be reflected it'll happen anyway, I don't have control over it and I guess anything I wear will be reflecting "the inner me". Can the inner me reflect my choice of jacket? That'd be way better than the other way around.
          Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• snafu
            • Apr 2008

Flux sorry to bring you all this new attention, however I do stand by my points made...
            I like the fact you wear the necklace all the time; i wear the same bracelet everyday since my girl friend's mom bought it for me, i wear the same ribbon i tied around my wrist god knows 6 or seven years ago. I have tried wear more jewelry because i like the pieces but overall i feel its too much so i just stick to those two items on my wrist; any more and im conscious of it. But to me the necklace; like ann's feather one is still so contrived. I can understand how it fits into her aesthetic and trust me i respect her as a designer with her consistent vision. The reason to me is that no matter what you are wearing the necklace within it
            as an item (or the designers) context. The feather necklace taken out of a high fashion "avant garde" context or out of the outfit can mean something individually. But worn like that i feel it is almost like wear a d&g belt with dolce jeans... we all know its different but in representational terms it is buying too much into a force identity....

Now this is when it goes deeper because fashion is not a defined concept, i agree that people who do not make their own clothes can respect a designer enough and adapt that designers vision to suit their personality. Off the top of my head the true examples of this are MrBeuyes and Wireartist, mr pulls off rick in his own way i believe he connects so much with the clothes and the designers values attitudes that he is unconscious he feels like the clothes were made by him or for him. It is something hard to explain that i agree two people wearing the same thing (no difference in body shape) can look totally different it goes down to confidence and how natural you feel in what your wearing. I guess with things like models they can be come a character, they are not wearing the clothes in their natural environment, it is only for a moment in time. But the truth is people need to feel like no matter what outfit they are wearing they can wear it either to going out or going to grocery store. This is something i believe; it kinda goes against the whole idea of clothes wearing you, which is a term that is thrown around alot.

Style i guess is something that can evident over time your right...
            maybe because we have only seen two or three outfits its hard to say. Iv not seen a link that shows personality between them.
            Its like maybe you can wear the same outfit as interest1 but she clearly shows some sort of attitude in her body language pose/ that says this is me i don't give a fuck. I have to say i don't get that impression from you.
            You can say iv only been able to buy avant garde clothes for 5 years or so, but style is not about what level of fashion you wear.
            Remember this is my opinion it is not in fact, it how i interpret clothes and the wearer.

On another note moths bag may be ann but he doesn't wear it within its context, he knows himself enough to wear it as if it was made by anyone, it is evident he doesn't care who it is made by.

CHRISTIAN; we all know the real point between Poell/Altieri and people like rick and ann; they are concerned with aesthetics, emotion are put forward before the garment, Poell and Altieri work within the idea of clothes being clothes exploration within garments. Respecting the ideas that have developed before them they know how garments have been built before and undoubtedly know that this is for a reason. There is some sort of purist idea in that they are not fashion designers but maybe they construct clothes but sell within a fashion world? They undoubtedly have a vision also but they know when not to overstep garments concerned within simply a look or aesthetic terms. They produce clothes that may be an object but they represent ideas... then they have garments to be worn no matter what the occasion.
            I could type more but this already too long.

Comment

• Shucks
              • Aug 2010

> christian. lol. ok, let's see what the big kahuna himself has to say then. glad to see that independent thought is alive and well here...

> chameleon. ur welcome and right back at ya.

> snafu - err... if ur short comment on moth's bag was a follow-up on my comment above, i just want to clarify that what i was talking about had nothing to do with the recent 'authenticity' discussion - i'm staying away from that one... i know the dude is pretty untouchable on that anyway. see earlier post where i comment on his waywt.

Comment

• Sombre
                • Jan 2009

This conversation is like meeting one rude person and then concluding that all people are rude. You can't look at a picture of someone and judge a person's intentions/style/personality on it. And contrary to popular belief, there is no attitude or mood conveyed in photos; you create that in your head based on associations you've personally made or been fed. So judging the mood of a photo becomes pointless.
                An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• BSR
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                  Can someone explain to me why people think "authenticity" is important? I'm really trying to think of something but I really can't pinpoint any reason why I'd care. I don't want to reflect the inner me; there is no inner me or rather "the inner me is unknown and unknowable". If there really is an inner me to be reflected it'll happen anyway, I don't have control over it and I guess anything I wear will be reflecting "the inner me". Can the inner me reflect my choice of jacket? That'd be way better than the other way around.
                  i've said something along these lines exactly a long time ago here in this thread, but i'm afraid nobody will answer you, because if you deny the existence of an accessible true self, most of what is said here becomes pointless.
                  pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                  Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• zamb
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by BSR View Post
                    i've said something along these lines exactly a long time ago here in this thread, but i'm afraid nobody will answer you, because if you deny the existence of an accessible true self, most of what is said here becomes pointless.
                    the Ghost of Kant has inhabited the body of the Fuuma.................
                    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• snafu
                      • Apr 2008

I also agree with fumma's point like i said before ...
                      unless you make the clothes you wear you have no choice to buy into somebody else... your choice in the wide market says something about you. But this is also in the context of where and you wear what, what items you wear with what... and how; it is only described it as a composition.

Like in Rick's recent interview clothes do have in a way more than art the connect with the wearer and certainly are more sensitive. But they are not looked upon the same as a piece or art, they are utilitarian , when does the feeling of ones clothes compromise the wearability of a garment?
                      When a garment is too tight or drapes too much, when it sits you out of your peer context it isolates you. Is that what you want your clothes to do...
                      do you really want to force your inner self on people that much that it sits you as an outcast ? Clothes can represent values and personal beliefs, we should all know that.
                      We all should know that clothes really can't represent our inner character and our personal story history, but they are our first output to the world; which does make them important. If we all didn't think so then we would have never even browsed this forum.

Comment

• Sombre
                        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by snafu View Post
                        when does the feeling of ones clothes compromise the wearability of a garment?
                        When a garment is too tight or drapes too much, when it sits you out of your peer context it isolates you. Is that what you want your clothes to do...
                        do you really want to force your inner self on people that much that it sits you as an outcast ?
                        It doesn't take much to be considered an outcast in some places. I also doubt that a lot of people are forcing their inner selves on people, that can't really be done in an outfit. Wearability is subjective too, so what compromises wearability differs from one person to the next.
                        An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                        I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• snafu
                          • Apr 2008

indeed thats why we have costume, rockstars wear certain things, painters wear overalls... thats why we have to consider the context.
                          Personality is a big part, sure we all live in the same world we all need to drive a car, we all need to get on and of a tube/bus we all need to walk. But where are you willing to compromise in terms of values for practicality.
                          I don't agree with showing my full self, my inner self is my own. I wear a plain white t-shirt or shirt most days, and various black pants, and different boots mainly grey black, what does this really say about me. It is how i piece them all together or how compose/present them in how and what im doing.
                          The main issue (goign back to starting point) is that flux looked like every other fashion girl on a fashion blog iv seen before, no one element stood out to me... is this that bad; not really... thats why i just said my opinion... i love the sandals on their own but in a different presentation/context i think they would have been more striking. My ideal is maybe not a representative of flux's personality but i lack to see any individuality there; other than fashion awareness that is fairly current of now... and the fact she has a 'fashion blog' and who she is pictured with... these things don't make me change my judgement.

Comment

• Fuuma
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BSR View Post
                            It makes separating the annointed from the impostors a harder proposition...
                            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Real Real
                              • Feb 2007

The people most concerned with authenticity aren't interested in trying to reflect their true self through their choice of jacket...they're trying to define their true self, chip away at it, through their choice of jacket, right?

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Christian View Post
                                You, newbie, should know that no one here is allowed to speak before the Master.
                                So, we're waiting for the Moth's opinion, and then we'll agree with him.
                                I know my inner self to be a big pack of lies, and from that point of view I'd probably need a bigger bag to carry it along, but that's it

More seriously Shucks, I understand your point, but I'm not looking for perfection : that bag is not practical, it's not as sturdier as a leather one would be, inside it is a complete mess, and it is allright a it is. I'll never be spot on. It wouldn't be me - understand : this idea of an approximative and somewhat ridiculous being that I consider as the most acceptable form of my self.
                                Last edited by Mail-Moth; 08-26-2010, 11:47 AM.
                                I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                                I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎