X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lost53
    • Dec 2010

MBD, This works, you look great.
    Is it just the photograph or do the tights vary from each leg?

The open coat affair gives the dress room, also stiffness/shape (of the coat) further accentuates the fabric of the dress, perfect!

Comment

• BSR
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Chilton0326

However, for almost all the people who are conventionally handsome/beautiful, and who seem to have conventional goals (ie dressing to look handsome/pretty, or for approval/success, etc) I simply wouldn't recommend the general aesthetic favored here -- does anyone else agree?
      isn't it a very conventional way of thinking?
      pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
      Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

As a general question (with apologies), what is the aim of the WAYWT critiques? I did not see it mentioned in the beginning, and sometimes it feels like tips (helpful or not) on how to better appropriate the aesthetic that's favored here.
        I feel like this thread is for expression rather than critique, hence why its not called how to improve your style etc. even though it does occasionally drift in that direction.

what goes for the favoured aesthetic, isn't that why most of us are here instead of some other fashion communities? not saying everyone should dress the same, but naturally if someone offers a tip it'll be based on that person's style.
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• lost53
          • Dec 2010

As a general question (with apologies), what is the aim of the WAYWT critiques? I did not see it mentioned in the beginning, and sometimes it feels like tips (helpful or not) on how to better appropriate the aesthetic that's favored here.

However, for almost all the people who are conventionally handsome/beautiful, and who seem to have conventional goals (ie dressing to look handsome/pretty, or for approval/success, etc) I simply wouldn't recommend the general aesthetic favored here -- does anyone else agree?

My question to you then...
          What aesthetic would you recommend then for "people who are conventionally handsome/beautiful"? Whatever that is!!!

Comment

• Shucks
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by lost53 View Post
            My question to you then...
            What aesthetic would you recommend then for "people who are conventionally handsome/beautiful"? Whatever that is!!!
            i just came back from a wedding in italy, full of international lawyers and doctors. everyone was extremely good looking and successful. i felt like i stuck out like a sore thumb, even in my by sz-standards extremely conservative black balenciaga suit and tie.

so to answer your question, i guess i would say a tailored shirt (with monogram...), zegna suit and church's.
            Last edited by Shucks; 03-30-2011, 09:15 AM.

Comment

• lost53
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
              so to answer your question, i guess i would say a tailored shirt (with monogram...), zegna suit and church's.

...My Dad's uniform!!!...

Comment

• thedevilisinthedetails
                • Nov 2008

MBD - best fit ive seen from you yet.

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                  • Oct 2010

Dear all,

Thanks for the kind words. With regard to Chilton's question, "conventional," and "handsome/beautiful" are subjective, no? Put the adjectives together, and I immediately think, "boring."

I think that this forum proves just how narrow those concepts are and demonstrates there are alternative ways to thinking about aesthetics in a less rigid way.

Sometimes forum experiments go awry, sometimes they provide ideas. The community is here not to turn out thousands of goth-ninja-lings but to provide a mirror of sorts so that SZers can work out what they themselves are comfortable with. And trust me - the rest of the forum has no problem with being vocal when experiments go south, which is part of what makes it unique, not to mention amusing.

MBD
                  "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                  It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                  My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• HWith
                    • May 2007

Well, he said "conventionally handsome/beautiful", not conventional and beautiful. I'd say that if something is conventionally so, it is not subjective, but something generally accepted as such.

Originally posted by MetroBulotDodo View Post
                    Dear all,

Thanks for the kind words. With regard to Chilton's question, "conventional," and "handsome/beautiful" are subjective, no? Put the adjectives together, and I immediately think, "boring."

MBD

Comment

• zamb
                      • Nov 2006

SZ is by its very nature conventional ....................for it possesses a gathering of like minded people who posses (varying albeit) common interests..........

I keep going back to the fact that there are many different aesthetics that exits here among the members............even within those who wear similar clothing.

you wouldn't catch me dead in Ricks Dunks, but many members here wear them, and wear them well. While I dont like prints, I am not an "all black guy"
                      Faust, the founder of this forum is a die hard Ann guy who doesn't like DIY looking clothing

Lowrey is all for elegant simplicity with an edge

Mail Moth is in his own world and quite confident and comfortable in it........

Christian is a Chameleon moving gracefully from CCP tailoring to Doma Drape and looking well in each

and there are so many others like P-Nod, like kucejoe etc, who have their own way of dressing that for the most part unique in its own way.

I think the only common Chord is that there are different ways of seeing and doing things than the ways accepted by mainstream society, and we are happy with that.......
                      Last edited by zamb; 03-30-2011, 01:55 PM.
                      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• lost53
                        • Dec 2010

Very well put Zamb.
                        I did have to chuckle at the "I am not an all black guy" comment though!!
                        Thanks to all of you that disagree, discuss and generally make this forum time well spent!

Comment

• zamb
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by lost53 View Post
                          Very well put Zamb.
                          I did have to chuckle at the "I am not an all black guy" comment though!!
                          Thanks to all of you that disagree, discuss and generally make this forum time well spent!
                          yes i am light skinned in the palm of my hands and the soles of my feet...........
                          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Shucks
                            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                            SZ is by its very nature conventional ....................for it posseses a gathering of like minded people who posses (varying but) common interest..........

and I keep going back to the fact that there are many different aesthetics that exits here among the members............even within those who wear similar clothing.

[...]

I think the only common Chord is that there are different ways of seeing and doing things than the ways accepted by mainstream society, and we are happy with that.......
                            i'm a little bit confused as to whether you are saying sz is conventional or pluralist, or somewhere inbetween.

i'd definitely say there are several commonalities but that these commonalities may vary between different subsets of members. i don't think we have a single 'hive mind' - there is plurality at play here, as you point out with your examples.

as for common interest, i'd say in some cases our motives are similar but the objects of interest (say a specific brand or style for instance) differ, and in other cases the object of interest may be the same, but the motive behind that interest may be very different (for example 'status consumption' vs 'extreme brand loyalty' or whatnot.)

lastly, since an onlooker unfamiliar/uninterested in sz aesthetics may not be as sensitized to and observant of all the (subtle?) differences between board members, he/she would likely reduce us all to people who 'like black' and 'wanna look like the strokes'.

Comment

• Shucks
                              • Aug 2010

we're all on the same page then...

Comment

• michael_kard
                                • Oct 2010

huh??? where2kop individuality???

ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                                Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎