• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post

behold the power o an outfit
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Chant
      Banned
      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by BSR View Post
      i love how SZ splits into pussies vs badasses
      i side with the pussies who wear pseudo military gear to protect themselves from the badasses
      Pussies are much more stronger than militarized badasses, as Plutarch states :

Originally posted by Plutarch
      ΠΕΡΣΙΔΕΣ

[246a] Πέρσας Ἀστυάγου βασιλέως καὶ Μήδων ἀποστήσας Κῦρος ἡττήθη μάχῃ· φεύγουσι δὲ τοῖς Πέρσαις εἰς τὴν πόλιν, ὀλίγον ἀπεχόντων συνεισπεσεῖν τῶν πολεμίων, ἀπήντησαν αἱ γυναῖκες πρὸ τῆς πόλεως καὶ τοὺς πέπλους ἐκ τῶν κάτω μερῶν ἐπάρασαι « ποῖ φέρεσθε » εἶπον, « ὦ κάκιστοι πάντων ἀνθρώπων; οὐ γὰρ ἐνταῦθά γε δύνασθε καταδῦναι φεύγοντες, ὅθεν ἐξεγένεσθε. » Ταύτην τὴν ὄψιν ἅμα καὶ τὴν φωνὴν αἰδεσθέντες οἱ Πέρσαι καὶ κακίσαντες ἑαυτοὺς ἀνεστρέψαντο καὶ συμβαλόντες ἐξ ἀρχῆς [246b] ἐτρέψαντο τοὺς πολεμίους.

Ἐκ τούτου κατέστη νόμος, εἰσελάσαντος βασιλέως εἰς τὴν πόλιν ἑκάστην γυναῖκα χρυσοῦν λαμβάνειν, Κύρου νομοθετήσαντος. Ὦχον δέ φασι, τά τ´ ἄλλα μοχθηρὸν καὶ φιλοκερδέστατον βασιλέων ὄντα, περικάμψαι τὴν πόλιν ἀεὶ καὶ μὴ παρελθεῖν ἀλλ´ ἀποστερῆσαι τῆς δωρεᾶς τὰς γυναῖκας. Ἀλέξανδρος δὲ καὶ δὶς εἰσῆλθε καὶ ταῖς κυούσαις διπλοῦν ἔδωκε.

Last edited by Chant; 11-27-2011, 07:45 AM.

Comment

• Mail-Moth
        • Mar 2009

Kuugaia : I understand your point, but you're stretching mine to an extreme here. Where did I write AKA was a crybaby hiding behind his clothes ? But I would gladly read wire. about the relation between the way he dresses and fictional figures. Not sure he would discard that link.

Cosplay, disguises, masks... are clearly meant to be a part of the way people wearing them picture themselves, aren't they ? Just something you use to make a statement about yourself, or to somewhat embody a part of a world that is not exactly the one you're dealing with in your everyday life. I wasn't talking about any other purpose, nor was I implying that it was AKA's goal to look like a thug in order to be the first on the line to grab a taxi. Of course he likes his clothes for what they are. But that what they are probably doesn't boil down to craftsmanship and fabric codes. I assume he also likes the danger and aggressiveness they convey. Even if he's admittedly far from being that dangerous or aggressive himself.

It's not about lying about yourself with a costume. It's about emphasizing parts of your personality through clothing. All I'm saying is that this is the boat we're in, and that sometimes I'd like to hear people admit that their taste for what they wear is not just as grounded on craftsmanship and technical wonders as it appears.

As for Jogu, well... He really dresses differently. What he does looks, at least for me, devoid of obvious references : I only see shapes, proportions and volumes when I look at his pics - as I do when I look at the contributions of our female members : it comes across as a lot more about structures and forms than narratives. But that's a whole different subject, and a bit lenghty.
        Last edited by Mail-Moth; 11-27-2011, 07:59 AM.
        I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
        I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• endorphinz
          Banned
          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Mail-Moth View Post
          Endorphinz, I'd like to try some constructive criticism regarding your last outfits.
          Thanks for the feedback mr. moth. it's greatly appreciated. neutral eyes always seem to view things a bit differently.
          I agree on the gloves. i can't seem to find my "good" pair. The only other pairs I found I reserve for brushing the snow off my windshield,
          I agree on the boots...navy combat boots but they were the only ones I own that could handle the detested 'tuck' on the unhemned Dior waxed jeans.... I really need to chop off a few inches.
          I honestly don't see a problem with the striped boucle. I liked the way it worked with the blue/black jeans but I'll reexamine the next go round.
          As far as the black/brown thing goes... I love it. I understand your point about the shoes.. They do stand out snd draw instant attention, be it for the 'lightness' or color but I'm ok with that. btw, they are a rough grained but smooth suede... don't know if that came across in the pic.
          I thought the skinny jeans would 'modernize' the fit but substituting some flannels would be no problem.

again thanks for the comments and thanks Faust for his thoughts on my previous offering.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Christian View Post
            Pussies are much more stronger than militarized badasses, as Plutarch states :
            Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive.
            If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding.

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
            Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• kuugaia
              • Feb 2010

^ LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!

Mail-Moth: I think I'm taking the much more conventional and literal meaning of cosplay and disguise, while you're using it more as a means of conveying your point that: the clothes we wear represent something that we are not often literally associated with. This - I can certainly agree with.

But I still say that your comment of '8 pages worth of posters not being truly representative of their character' is a very bold and audacious statement. I'm confused as to how you could have come to such a thought, but that's besides the point. That's just a matter of personal perspective.

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                • Mar 2009

^ It was a mere provocation in response to the a real man at last thing and that Nietszche quote which followed. And it was not meant to be limited to those eight pages, if you read me well. In my book, there are very few people dressing whithout some sort of an ideal self in mind, consciously or unconsciously. It's like trying to give a tangible form to something a lot more fluctuating, as if we were anchoring ourselves in those garments. That's all I mean : to me garments are like a perfected representation of a generally far more blurry individuality. Not weak : just blurry, in the sense it is not constantly the exact same, hour after hour.

And once again, this almost never comes to my mind when I look at the pics posted by Jogu or by female members. As if the purpose were completely different - a game with shapes rather than with fictions.

But I can accept this as a very personal view, of course.

Comment

• BSR
                  • Aug 2008

And once again, this almost never comes to my mind when I look at the pics posted by Jogu or by female members. As if the purpose were completely different.
                  this is really surprising and interesting. what is the cause of this asymmetry in your opinion (jogu notwithstanding)?
                  pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                  Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• endorphinz
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2009

I love me my clothes as much or more than the next guy but I always realize that they are just clothes. I wear them because I have to and if I have to wear them, I might as well like them and they probably should make me feel good.
                    I, unlike many sz members, do not ascribe any deep meaning to my attire or it's creator. I honestly don't give a fuck about the designers intentions or ethos. Once I buy a garment, it's ALL ABOUT ME and my relationship with the piece The designer may have created it but I OWN it and give it life and I'll give it a history and hopefully some good memories. Am I shallow? maybe?

I think some members take their clothes a little too seriously. I am always amazed how people can look at a pic on a monitor and know what exact season and code number a piece is. Maybe my passion doesn't run as deeply or maybe it just takes a different direction. However, if this makes you guys happy just keep on doin what ya do... My feelings are probably in direct opposition to the foundation of this community but I doubt I'll be changing anytime soon.....and I know you guys won't either. it's all good.

what's that quote/sig?

"does it look sick as fuck?"

that about sums it up for me. but I'll substitute "he/she" for "it".... and not in a pic but irl

Comment

• shah
                      • Jul 2009

to me garments are like a perfected representation of a generally far more blurry individuality. Not weak : just blurry, in the sense it is not constantly the exact same, hour after hour.
                      well said

Comment

• DRRRK
                        • Aug 2009

endorphinz, very well said. I agree completely. Thing is, you can give a garment a history by owning it, but you need to own it for a longer time, which is opposed to the buying / selling ethos.

Comment

• christianef
                          • Feb 2009

you should maybe consider attaching a deeper meaning youd might end up looking like something more than a disheveled mid life crisis.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                            • Sep 2006

AKA kills it. Man wearing the clothes and not the other way around. Looking natural and comfortable in Carol which is something truly to be said.

It actually looks like he just put it all on without thinking about "how am I going to pose in these clothes for SZ and then remain uncomfortable all day while walking around?" Yet it looks clean and classic.
                            www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                              • Mar 2009

BSR : I really can't say. In fact, this is something I could have said of what Christian was doing some time ago, before he sold his soul to the austrian devil

So it's not about gender - in fact I can think of several guys doing that here, even if it seems to be something women tend to do more easily. Some people simply seem to see clothes as an opportunity to experiment things, in a far more playfull perspective, like a very demanding and complex game of combinations, but a game nonetheless (that would be Jogu, typically). Some are dedicated to a designer and will experiment inside those boundaries, like wire.artist and DamageX, some, like Heirloom, will embrace a larger spectrum. But all are trying things and obviously enjoying it. Style outside the comfort zone, to sum it up.

As for women, I don't want to fall into hasty simplifications. We should just ask them.
                              Maybe they just learnt how to take it a bit more lightly. Maybe the male population here suffers from this nouveau riche complex that prevents them from throwing their money out of the window without a justification valid enough, hence the fetishism, the codes, the craftsmanship, the deepness of it all.

Fuuma wrote something related to that some time ago : I'd rather have people get wet for fur than try to prove their cleverness and elite status through spiral pants.

Comment

• docus
                                • Dec 2010

Ochre for HOF - outstanding fit

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢