• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eternal
    • Mar 2007

Paying for Classifieds

Originally posted by Faust

I am going to move some posts from the recent purchases thread to kick this off.

This thread is for you guys to provide feedback on whether I should make the classifieds a paid service and how. I think a per item teared listing fee would be a reasonable approach, but I have no experience in this.

Pros:

1) I make money! Much needed money, if I may add, some of which would kick back to improving SZ, including an escrow service.
    2) Discourage casual posting and crap items.
    3) Regulate those who want to set up a side business of selling in classifieds.

Cons:

1) Potential loss of "free-for-members" spirit of SZ.
    2) Potential loss of good items/deals for SZ members.

Please discuss, I would love to hear your opinions.
    I don't see it as wrong if you start taking commission for people selling in the classifieds when they try to capitalize on members.
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%

The poll is expired.

• beardown
    rekoner
    • Feb 2009

Buying something to specifically resale in the classifieds seems like a low blow to me.
    The classifieds section should be seen as a privilege. SZ gives us a place where like minded people gather to discuss and exchange information. It's made clear that the forum is not about buying/selling.

I don't know the whole story but it would seem unscrupulous to use someone else's years of hard work to try to set up a makeshift shop here.
    If you're selling something expensive on Ebay, the listing and final value fees are pretty outrageous. Being able to sell something on SZ saves us plenty of money, especially over a period of time.
    We have access to it for free because of Faust's work and time invested.

It shouldn't be abused or used as a platform for a pop up store.

I don't want to overstep my bounds as a member but if anyone is going to profit off of SZ, it should be the person who founded it and put years of work into it, not someone who sees it as an financial opportunity rather than a valuable resource.
    Originally posted by mizzar
    Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
      • Mar 2007

Totally agree with Beardown.

Over at Sufu, I'm sure it's prevalent that many sellers use the classifieds to turn profits, and it seems that there's a gradual trickle of these sellers coming over to SZ to 'set up store' of late. Whatever happens at Sufu I don't really care, it's too huge to regulate anyway.

But over here at SZ, I strongly feel something should be done to deter such practices. In a forum such as this where the focus lies in the genuine discussion and exchange of ideas/thoughts/insights of fashion/art, it's unthinkable (and imo unacceptable) that members will use the classifieds as a profit center.

IMO.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Well said, beardown.

Eternal, I don't mind if you buy something for yourself and then it does not fit you and you sell it for a profit. I don't mind if it happens once in a while either. But to run a side business, that's not what SZ is for. Now maybe it's not a bad idea for me to charge a commission on posts that people profit from, but I don't know how to differentiate those from private sales, and in truth, I don't really want SZ to be overrun by business sellers, like nakata.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• endersgame
          • Aug 2009

^^ i don't mind paying a fee but what are you going to do with the commissions?

Comment

• xeraphim
            • Nov 2008

^ forum maintenance/upgrading/etc?

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
              ^^ i don't mind paying a fee but what are you going to do with the commissions?
              buy poell clothingz and caviar, cause i'm such a baller.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• endersgame
                • Aug 2009

that's what i want to hear..

i don't know how you can charge the percentage of the sale, but i've seen forums that charge for the posting of ads.

Comment

• kunk75
                  Banned
                  • May 2008

lol, I have no idea what business it is of anyone's what you would do with a proposed commission. Sounds like the conversations I hjave with my clients.

Originally posted by Faust View Post

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    Hopefully Iranian caviar and none of that cheap shit that taste like map-o-spread.
                    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• cjbreed
                      • Feb 2009

oohhh i didn't know nakata was selling all that stuff. well its less impressive now, sorry...

but to be honest with you i don't mind personally that he does that as long as its still a good deal for the sz buyer. its like a speculative proxy service. his sale thread is still full of nice stuff at good prices. but i don't want sz overrun with business sellers either.

btw a commission to faust, although nice for him, would simply jack up the price and cause all kinds of backlash and headache. i do wish faust made a little more $$ off this deal though. maybe stylists and retail buyers could send him some scratch once in a while. lord knows they get plenty of valuable info from this place...
                      dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• zamb
                        • Nov 2006

Ive been really busy and trying to approach this discussion from a reasonable angle.............
                        I have a tremendous amount of respect for Faust, he's been a friend outside of this Forum even before it started.
                        I am happy that a forum like this exist, and exept for the occasional glitch he seems to have a very clear vision of what he want this forum to be. I am currently in the process of buying a Carpe Diem Boots from Nakata.
                        While I might ultimately be happy with my purchase because I am getting what I want. There is something to be said about honesty.
                        Originally I had the view that i was buying something from a fellow member who purchased and it didn't fit, now i dont know..............maybe that WAS the case, but then, now I cant be certain

The Classifieds exist as a means of offering members the opportunity to sell stuff to other interested members..........sometimes people make a profit, sometimes they dont, but it has always been a place for members to find great pieces others are willing to let go to others who will appreciate those pieces . Where I think Nakata fell short is that he runs a business, and that was never stated from the beginning.
                        Faust could've made a lot of money from this forum, but I think for him, it has always been a love for the Subject of Fashion in its pure sense, where it isnt tainted by over-commercialization.

I personally have benefitted alot from this forum, but I think Honest intentions must be stated from the beginning so that the moderators have the opportunity to decide if they want to review something before it happens and goes against the nature of Forums..........

My writing is incoherent today........i'm tired from only 2hrs sleep and a ton of work ahead of me and trying to take a few hours for birthday celebrations tonight..................

Im confident Faust (and Lowrey) will make the right decision........whatever they decide I support
                        “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Chant
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2008

And The Lord said : "If you want to take from one hand, you have to give from the other".

And Buddha said : "You're right, buddy. Otherwise the Universe will be thrown off".

Nakata is taking much, but gives nothing. So take all his clothes from his hand and give them to the well-deserving poors, who can't even afford a Paul Harnden jacket at L'E.

Comment

• kbi
                            • Feb 2009

I always found it quite obvious that multiple individuals on SZ classifieds are reselling just too much way too fast and its mostly those with good knowledge of the japanese second-hand market. Regarding the increasing numbers of those fellas there must be some kind of business to make! but..

I don't see a big difference to the actual auction services like sharpservice i.e. if there is one please enlighten me!

Comment

• zamb
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by kbi View Post
                              I always found it quite obvious that multiple individuals on SZ classifieds are reselling just too much way too fast and its mostly those with good knowledge of the japanese second-hand market. Regarding the increasing numbers of those fellas there must be some kind of business to make! but..

I don't see a big difference to the actual auction services like sharpservice i.e. if there is one please enlighten me
                              !
                              Sharp service is a business and stated as such form the beginning. so you know who/ what you are dealing with, and the moderators know how to treat that.
                              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎