• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Re: FOOD!

D, I didn't know Achatz was putting out a cookbook! Uh... AWESOME!</p>

I'm assuming you have the full El Bulli set? It's been on my cookbook wishlist for such a long time to have the full set of his cookbooks but they're damn pricey.</p>

Now Cantu just has to put out a Moto cookbook....</p>

</p>

In the coming month or two i'm planning a surprise weekend for my girlfriend to Chicago to eat at Alinea and Moto and maybe revisit Shedd aquarium. It's been a long time since I was back in Chicago....</p>
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Diego
      • Aug 2007

I do own the El Bulli 98-02 and 03-04, the complete Keller is also very good. I'll have to check the Moto book.</p>

Be sure to give us the review of Alinea when you come back! </p>

Comment

• ddohnggo
        • Oct 2006

just had some good ramen at ippudo. delicious.
        Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• Re: FOOD!

see? valentino trumps ma+.

Comment

• maldoror
            • Jun 2007

[quote user="ddohnggo"]just had some good ramen at ippudo. delicious.
            [/quote]</p>

+1 for the akamaru modern specifically. have you tried setagaya?
            </p>

Comment

• ddohnggo
              • Oct 2006

setagaya is bomb nugz
              Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• mamaboy
                • Mar 2008

lobster roll and sweet potato french fries at clam bar just off montauk---delicioso
                but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Quick, what to get at Setagaya? Heading to the city now.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    Quick, what to get at Setagaya? Heading to the city now.
                    Bump, didn't get to go last time, but going tonight. Any suggestions?
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• maldoror
                      • Jun 2007

It's really down to personal taste/preference between the shoyu and the shio broths, and you really can't go wrong with either. that said, the tsukemen is probably the most seasonally appropriate option, but I've never been able to get into that dish in general (would rather have zaru soba in the summer).

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by maldoror View Post
                        It's really down to personal taste/preference between the shoyu and the shio broths, and you really can't go wrong with either. that said, the tsukemen is probably the most seasonally appropriate option, but I've never been able to get into that dish in general (would rather have zaru soba in the summer).
                        Can you somehow translate that into language I understand?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• bestial
                          • Jun 2008

Stomach starts to work and tomorrow it's friday. Probably we'll end up eating owenroasted potatos and halloumi-cheese like we usually do, really like it though. But would love to get some nice vegetarian tips. Right now I don't find the time to do all those nice burgers with all kinds of beans, vegetables and spiceses I did some years ago.. Now all time is consumed by school an SZ :D

One fine thing I do alot less then I should, and really doesn't take much time, is zucchinirolls. Just take som feta and cashew-nuts, grind &#233;m togheter with some salt and peppar. Then slice the zucchini into very thin layers (with a cheese..... erhm, cheeseplane? that thing you cut cheese with) and then put the feta &cashew goo on it and roll it! Then fry in some oil and voila! Taste wonderful!

Comment

• maldoror
                            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            Can you somehow translate that into language I understand?
                            Sure . . . but DISCLAIMER: I'm no expert on japanese food, so if I'm wrong about any of this please (anyone) feel free to correct me:

~

if you want to order hot ramen you have two different broth options, shio and shoyu, the central distinction between which consists in the former's basis in salt and the latter's in soy sauce. as a result the shio broth is stronger flavored, and the shoyu is more mild (and to my taste, more complex and satisfying). as a disclaimer though, I grew up in a house which cooked with next to no salt, so I have a higher sensitivity to the stuff than most people.

tsukemen is ramen served with the noodles separated from a reduced broth/dipping sauce (the salt level in this kills me).

zaru soba is a similar dish to tsukemen, with noodles (in this case soba noodles) separated from a dashi based dipping sauce (flavored with mirin, sugar, and soy sauce). altogether mild and inexplicably refreshing. literally ice cream-level summer goodness when done right. unfortunately, since honmura an closed, I'm not sure if there's anywhere capable of delivering an out of body level soba experience in nyc. maybe matsugen? haven't gotten a chance to try it yet myself...

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

So, I just read that Setogaya went downhill. Any other options. Is Ippudo better as Joey suggests?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• maldoror
                                • Jun 2007

Well that sucks. Last time I went (june?) it was still kick ass, but these things change quickly. Ippudo is great, but a totally different style of soup. Really savory, almost creamy. If you go, I'd recommend the akamaru modern (as I did upthread). Also, the interior is very . . . kill bill. This could be a plus or minus depending on your tastes.

Honestly, the best ramen in new york isn't in new york, but a minor bus ride away at Mitsuwa in Edgewater NJ.

EAT JOY FEEL . . . WE LOVE YOUR SMILE!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎