Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theetruscan
    • Jan 2008

My friend is the chef at a place in Greenpoint called Manhattan Inn. I didn't realize he'd left the Bouley empire until just now.

EDIT: Also, Faust, it's not a restaurant recommendation, but apparently this is one of the best cookbooks in the last long time, and it's about southeast asian food.

Last edited by theetruscan; 12-16-2009, 01:31 PM.
    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

/\ Thanks!
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• endersgame
        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Vanna View Post
        My mom actually grows this. She hallows it out, stuffs it with hand minced pork and noodles and cooks it in a soup. It's delicious, though a little bitter. At least I think it's the same thing.

that stuff tastes like bitter zucchini. i don't like it at all..

Comment

• theetruscan
          • Jan 2008

Anyone else thinking about making space in the kitchen for a Sous Vide Supreme? Am I crazy?
          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• endersgame
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            Also, are those Momofuku restaurants all they are cracked up to be, or are they mostly hype by now?
            i've been to all but the nicest one and none of them was worth the money...

i had a chocolate chip cookie at city bakery today..
            was probably the best chocolate chip cookie i've ever had in my life..

Comment

• Avantster
              ¤¤¤
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
              Anyone else thinking about making space in the kitchen for a Sous Vide Supreme? Am I crazy?
              That actually looks decent although expensive. If you have a rice cooker you could consider the Sous Vide Magic, a device that connects in between the power supply and a rice cooker. A thermometer sits in the rice cooker measuring the temperature, switching the cooker on and off to regulate the temperature of the water bath (around 0.5C sensitivity).
              let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• MoFiya
                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                Did you read the last page? We already own one :> Kinda nice if you really get to use it. I would say, it's only worth the money if you really get used to cooking meals sous-vide e.g. fish, meat and all.
                Also good for other stuff like drying tomatoes or such... One can even make your own vegetable stock powder with it. Never tried it though..
                I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• Avantster
                  ¤¤¤
                  • Sep 2006

What vacuum bags do you use, MoFiya?
                  Not sure exactly how you'd dry tomatoes using a sous-vide machine..
                  let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• scott.m
                    • Mar 2009

Please throw some South-East Asian (meaning anything sans Indian) and Japanese restaurants recommendations my way. Any kind of cuisine and budget, as long as the food is excellent. Yes, I know about Ippudo. Also, are those Momofuku restaurants all they are cracked up to be, or are they mostly hype by now?
                    it's garbage E, i would recommend steering clear for the price it is. if you're looking for good noodles in East Village, try Souen on 6th between 1st and 2nd, it's this amazing macrobiotic ramen spot. also, the milk bar at momofuku is good from what i've heard, but very very decadent.

Comment

• MoFiya
                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Avantster View Post
                      What vacuum bags do you use, MoFiya?
                      Not sure exactly how you'd dry tomatoes using a sous-vide machine..
                      Well, I don't vacuumize them by myself (such a machine is another expensive purchase if you want a good one afaik) - just ask the butcher.
                      On the other hand, you can also cook the meat packed in alu foil..
                      But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• Avantster
                        ¤¤¤
                        • Sep 2006

Hold on, we're talking about sous-vide, right. Surely alu foil wouldn't be water proof - don't you need to use at least a ziplock or preferably a vacuum bag to prevent the water bath from getting into contact with what you're cooking?

Comment

• MoFiya
                          • Sep 2007

You don't really have to use a water bath at all.
                          Some do it because it a lot less responsive to temperature changes e.g. if you open the door (because it's a lot more ... dull - sorry chemistry vocabulary in English = Fail).
                          But the machine itself keeps the heat circulating around anyway, so you can actually put the meat inside (of course, on a plate which has taken temperature) without any water surrounding it.
                          It's just a super-sensitive oven....
                          But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by scott.m View Post
                            it's garbage E, i would recommend steering clear for the price it is. if you're looking for good noodles in East Village, try Souen on 6th between 1st and 2nd, it's this amazing macrobiotic ramen spot. also, the milk bar at momofuku is good from what i've heard, but very very decadent.
                            Thanks! I'll check it out.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                              • Sep 2006

Please throw some South-East Asian (meaning anything sans Indian) and Japanese restaurants recommendations my way. Any kind of cuisine and budget, as long as the food is excellent. Yes, I know about Ippudo. Also, are those Momofuku restaurants all they are cracked up to be, or are they mostly hype by now?
                              japanese:

Omen--cozy but elegant food, i love this place.
                              yakitori totto--more like an izakaya, they do amazing things
                              with all parts of chicken.
                              there is also this place, which is one of my regular haunts, if you happen to be in my hood....
                              ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Thanks, laika. I've been meaning to check out Omen forever...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎