X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theetruscan
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by MoFiya View Post
    Touché, wasn't familiar with the definition of sous-vide. I thought it meant cooking meat at low temperature over quite a long time, because that's exactly what you can do even without a water bath.
    Nevertheless, with that machine you can do both.
    It is a Hold'O'Mat, which is used in the gastronomy as well (at least the chefs I know). I posted a picture last page. You can easily google it. But I heard there are some cheaper alternatives around...
    Unsure about on how precise they can handle the temperature then though.
    Sorry, I completely forgot this thread.

Yeah, sous vide is specifically cooking vacuum packed food in a water bath. Low heat cooking may be possible in a sous vide machine, but it's a different thing.

Sous Vide appeals to me partly because I enjoy the flavor in many tougher cuts of meat, and sous vide is a good way to get them tender but not heavily overcooked (see all the amazing recipes for 72 hour medium-rare shortribs). Also, though, excepting fish and very tender cuts of meat, an 8-10 hour period sitting in the bath does more good than harm, so I can actually do something impressive instead of adequate on weekdays. Finally, freezing vacuum bags and going straight to the waterbath works well, so it's just the ultimate convenience for me. I know it's no panacea, but it seems like something I will get a lot of use out of and have some fun with.

Regarding cheaper options there's the Sous Vide Magic as mentioned earlier, and that's available from freshmealssolutions paired with some tested and calibrated rice cookers. If, like me, you have no rice cooker yet, a good SVM setup runs $350, so the price difference isn't so great.
    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• endersgame
      • Aug 2009

i made miso-glazed black cod for dinner.

hells yeah, i fucking rock!

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
        • Jan 2007

To prove that my diet doesn't consist entirely of fast food and snacks, here are some things I've cooked recently...

(last one is seared tuna glazed with maple syrup & dijon mustard and potato-pear salad)
        Originally posted by jogu
        i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• Fade to Black
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
          Fade to Black - Maybe you might know the answer to this: When I was in Hong Kong 3+ years ago, my boyfriend at the time and I stumbled onto this great little place (that may've just opened at the time, not sure). I'm kinda thinking it was a dessert house. I don't know which district we were in, but I do remember that you had to walk up a flight of outdoor stairs to get to it. I'm hoping you might recognize it by the name on the menu, or at least what there is of it.
          ahhhhhhh!!!! I believe the answer might very well be at the top part of the photo that is just chopped off - the words that are there right now just say 'banquet - dessert' which i don't think is the name...the first part i mentioned looks more like what would've been their sign/logo (had to rotate the pic 180 and zoom way in and still couldn't make out enough to give you an answer.)

Not a big dessert guy, so the physical description of the location doesn't ring a bell either.
          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• rxrxr
            • Dec 2009

ProfMonnitoff, spaghetti with king prawns! is this with white cream?

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by rxrxr View Post
              ProfMonnitoff, spaghetti with king prawns! is this with white cream?
              Just some olive oil, lemon juice & zest, chili and garlic, and a bit of white wine. The best pasta sauce (as long as you have good pasta, I made this one myself) is as little sauce as possible, just enough to coat the noodles but not drown them. Similarly my vegetable sauce is basically just some vegetables, olive oil, and a few spices and my carbonara is just pancetta, pecorino, eggs, butter, and pepper.
              Originally posted by jogu
              i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• Visconti
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by comedyzen View Post
                Wow, just discovered this thread!!!! My love of food is slightly greater than fashion.
                I know...Cincinnati...who would think.

Chinese:
                Uncle Yips in Sharonville
                I used to love that place! I haven't been in 5+ years, but it was my first taste of interesting Chinese food. There was a location in my home town but I think he moved it closer to downtown. My family still lives a mile or two from Jungle Jim's. It was my favorite place in the world as a child.

I'll share some photos as I cook. I tend toward slow cooked comfort foods, but have a strong interest in learning about new spices and other ingredients. Mexican (Oaxaca, Yucatan, the coastal regions) and Italian (mostly northern, though that will change during the summer) are the standbys, but I'm exploring more from the middle east and India.

I'm currently cooking some chicken with potatoes in an ancho adobo. It has a ways to go. I shouldn't start these things at 7pm.
                www.xcatik.com

Comment

• scott.m
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                  Out of sheer curiosity, what kind of prices is the momofuku ramen joint asking for?
                  truthfully i wasn't even talking about the noodle bar, i've never been there, but i went to the actual restaurant and granted i'm younger so maybe for me 18 dollars for 2 pork buns seems fucking insane but thats just me. i feel that for the time i waited and the money i spent it was not worth it at all, though i do really want to try out the milk bar.

Comment

• polishmike
                    • Jan 2007

2 pork buns are $9. not cheap but they are really good. I like noodle bar better than ssam bar. it's a fun place to eat and food is pretty good. i don't care if people say it's not real korean (no shit) or that menu is small.

Comment

• scott.m
                      • Mar 2009

i stand corrected, 9 dollars. i've been meaning to take your advice mike and grab that cinnamon bun cake, looked so delicious

Comment

• interest1
                        • Nov 2008

/\

Ippudo is even better than momofuku for ramen, and the pork buns are ridiculous (Faust forced a plate of them on mrbeuys and me; still can't decide whether I love him or hate him for this). 13 bucks for a huge bowl of ramen will totally fill you up, and considering it's arguably the best spot in the city to get it (with good ambience, to boot), the price isn't bad.

Souen is the vegetarian's equivalent to Ippudo, Momomfuku et al.
                        It's a cute little organic ramen place that I really love, and the prices here are a little lower. Menu is completely macrobiotic.

Both are in the East Village.
                        sain't

Comment

• polishmike
                          • Jan 2007

Ippudo is like Jeffreys of ramen (for the fashion people). The food is good but the rest of it is hype. It's a fancy joint, and when you want to be cool and eat ramen, that's where you go. People that go there will tell you that the best sushi in nyc is at Morimoto.

I like Ippudo but I only go there when my friends want to go. I don't compare it with Momofuku, because it doesn't make sense. Noodle bar is my local spot and that's where I go when I don't want to prepare food or venture too far.

I think Minca has the best ramen in nyc. Great prices and better atmosphere.

Souen tastes like wet toilet paper. Sorry Derek, you can yell at me later.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

In my experience Ippudo trumps Minca. I am not sure what you mean by "the rest of it" - I go there for ramen.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• interest1
                              • Nov 2008

LOL I think you worry too much about what people think, polishmike. I don't think about "where to look cool" when I wanna go have some ramen. Fuck the other patrons, I'm there for the food.

And how does comparing Ippudo and Momofuku not make sense? BOTH have the same damn ramen, same damn prices, same damn hype (which is deserved, actually, when the food lives up to it).

I get what you're saying about the "fancy" places and preferring your little neighborhood spot over them any day. Me too. That said, there's nothing wrong with eating at both ends of the spectrum as long as the food kicks ass.

Re: Souen, loved your comment considering the last time I was there was with Derek
                              sain't

Comment

• polishmike
                                • Jan 2007

Ippudo is a ramen spot. They have other specials on the menu, good ribs and washu beef, but ramen is their main thing. I think they have at least 5 kinds of ramen. Momofuku is an asian fusion place. They have ramen on the menu but I think their strength is with other dishes. Prix fixe is very good and well worth $30. There are always seasonal dishes and specials. So yeah I guess they are both asian, but they are pretty different.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎