Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mamaboy
    • Mar 2008

i was very touched by this eclectic show at met what they bought for last 25 years
    but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• airboyair
      • Oct 2006

on the subject of size, I am thinking of checking out Andreas Gursky this weekend.
      Helmut went to the ocean to gather his thoughts. Inspiration comes from retreat.

Comment

• Fade to Black
        • Sep 2008

I admit that I am a complete novice when it comes to understanding art and its history, but I am interested in studying in this subject deeper. faust, i know this is an odd request, but is there any way for me to participate in your class at the beginning of its next cycle, through long distance correspondence? Obviously I cannot attend regular meetings and trips, but even if I can read through the materials and participate in the discourse through submissions of essays and analysis of stuff you guys are going through, it would be greatly appreciated. I cannot seem to find any such avenue to explore the subject here.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        I would like to talk about this more, hanajibu. It seems that one of the prerequisites of successful contemporary art is its size. Like for anything that is museum worthy, it has to be fucking humongous, and I can't help think that the artist is trying to impress the viewer with the size of the work, because he can't impress him with the work's substance.
        Koons, Hirst, the Murakami cowboy figure...i think they've taken the art svengali image to new heights and proportions in pretty much every aspect. I dunno how the art world operated in the days of Dali and such, but it feels like the corporate aspect of it has taken over. Except the happy meal with the preprocessed beef and potatoes comes in the form of multimillion dollar objects of ego and vanity. Maybe this is just an uneducated claim from an (admittedly) uneducated outsider, but that is how I see it from what I see. Extend this to many forms of 'haute' culture as it exists today. Creation for the sake of creation seems idealistic and anachronistic, but one wonders whether the whole sector can sustain itself on such virtue.

edit: ahh i initially was trying to respond to that one faust post, but realize i've gone off on a different tangent than the current discussion altogether. would a philosophical discussion about the 'value' and perception of art merit a discussion on its own?
        www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

Originally posted by airboyair View Post
          on the subject of size, I am thinking of checking out Andreas Gursky this weekend.
          i liked him better when he didn't know photoshop, bernd would be ashamed.

under art shows you should not see: richard prince at gagosian. apparently this dude can put anything on a canvas under the premise of americana now.

Comment

• airboyair
            • Oct 2006

this evening, i went to the chanel mobile art in central park. i don't like everything about it, but it sure is meditative. i am glad i went. it's not all zaha and chanel.
            Helmut went to the ocean to gather his thoughts. Inspiration comes from retreat.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by airboyair View Post
              this evening, i went to the chanel mobile art in central park. i don't like everything about it, but it sure is meditative. i am glad i went. it's not all zaha and chanel.
              How was the crowd?
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• airboyair
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                How was the crowd?
                it's diverse, young, old, tourists, art people, students. the crowd is divided into intervals of 15 minutes and then each person is equipped with an mp3 guide (a female voice that's supposedly coco chanel) set 30 seconds apart, thus each person has a different perspective at any given time through the labyrinth of art. it took me a while to surrender and just observe, then it becomes sublime; or maybe i am brainwashed.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Just refrain from clicking that Chanel banner, alright? ;-)
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• hanajibu
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by xadam View Post
                    i liked him better when he didn't know photoshop, bernd would be ashamed.

under art shows you should not see: richard prince at gagosian. apparently this dude can put anything on a canvas under the premise of americana now.
                    were you at the Prince opening? Jeff Koons was in the crowd and gave me "the eyes".
                    I'm not a Prince fan but honestly I enjoyed it way better than the Gursky, just to compare the two. Big prints of tweaked out crowds at Vath's Cocoon Club aren't my cup of tea.

In art-you-should-see news, Zhang Xiaogang at PaceWildenstein on 25th St. And same block, Joan Mitchell's huge sunflower abstracts at Cheim & Read.

Comment

• Originally posted by hanajibu View Post
                      were you at the Prince opening? Jeff Koons was in the crowd and gave me "the eyes".
                      I'm not a Prince fan but honestly I enjoyed it way better than the Gursky, just to compare the two. Big prints of tweaked out crowds at Vath's Cocoon Club aren't my cup of tea.

In art-you-should-see news, Zhang Xiaogang at PaceWildenstein on 25th St. And same block, Joan Mitchell's huge sunflower abstracts at Cheim & Read.
                      i saw the show earlier in the day and poked my head in at the opening, but i couldn't deal. the car was the only piece i liked; all of the collages feel shallow.

gursky. that was a tough show for me because he's basically my art hero, and the new work is really subpar. the beauty of his earlier crowd photos is that everyone was anonymous, they became an abstract landscape, the new photos are too focused, too real, too concrete. also, he really needs to stop putting himself in his pictures.

one more for the shows you should see list: terry winters at mm on 22nd.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                        • Jan 2008

If you are in London you should take a trip down to Modern Tate:

Per Kirkeby 17 Jun - 6 Sept

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                        Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• jcotteri
                          • Jun 2008

way to far away from anyone, but I particularly like this artist

Todd Jenkins
                          Myriad

WTB: This

Comment

• Vanna
                            • May 2008

^Those are quite beautiful, thanks for sharing.
                            Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• mamaboy
                              • Mar 2008

shite
                              but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• jcotteri
                                • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Vanna View Post
                                ^Those are quite beautiful, thanks for sharing.
                                that's no problem ^^,
                                WTB: This

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎