Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mw000
    • Jan 2009

Wow. I didn't know the 27" Imac came out. Gotta go see one in person.

I was thinking about getting the 30" Cinema for photo editing and possibly hook it up to my macbook pro

Tough choice. The price difference is only $200.

30" = amazing huge screen, no cpu
    27" imac = smaller screen, built in cpu

which route would you go?

Comment

• polishmike
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      Isn't it always? Looks cool (thankfully mine is working fine and dandy). The LED technology should make it look stunning for sure. However, keyboard without a number pad is a fail. And I don't know about this mouse, but my wireless Apple mouse eats batteries for breakfast.
      Most people like the keyboard without number pad, smaller the better. I have the wired with number pad and like it a lot. I just got back from apple presentation and i think they mentioned free upgrades to full keyboard, don't remember if it was wireless. They also said batteries should last around 4 months on the new mouse but we'll see about that.

Comment

• theetruscan
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by mw000 View Post
        Wow. I didn't know the 27" Imac came out. Gotta go see one in person.

I was thinking about getting the 30" Cinema for photo editing and possibly hook it up to my macbook pro

Tough choice. The price difference is only $200.

30" = amazing huge screen, no cpu
        27" imac = smaller screen, built in cpu

which route would you go?
        I would not buy an apple stand alone monitor. Better panels (color depth, viewing angle, refresh rate, and on and on) can be had for much less money. You pay a premium for the Apple name, which is fine. But you also get an inferior product, which is not fine.

If you need a new computer, get the imac. If you don't need a new computer, get a different monitor.
        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by polishmike View Post
          Most people like the keyboard without number pad, smaller the better. I have the wired with number pad and like it a lot. I just got back from apple presentation and i think they mentioned free upgrades to full keyboard, don't remember if it was wireless. They also said batteries should last around 4 months on the new mouse but we'll see about that.
          So divide by two, as usual?
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
            I would not buy an apple stand alone monitor. Better panels (color depth, viewing angle, refresh rate, and on and on) can be had for much less money. You pay a premium for the Apple design, which is fine. But you also get an inferior product, which is not fine.

If you need a new computer, get the imac. If you don't need a new computer, get a different monitor.
            Fixed.

An inferior product as compared to what?
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              Fixed.

An inferior product as compared to what?
              Ugh, I can't find the resource I usually use for monitor comparison, but the short version is that Apple uses (IIRC) a philips panel, and a top quality one. But, as apple updates once for every 2-3 updates most manufacturers put out, most of the time you are paying for technology a few generations old. This, obviously, isn't always a problem, but LCD tech is still young enough that meaningful improvements are still being made most every generation. I think, and again, I can't recall sourcing though I'd bet Tom's Hardware if I had to choose one, that the Samsung panel is the current best 30" panel. I'm a little busy right now, but I'll track down some good links shortly.
              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

/\ That's fair enough, don't kill yourself.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DamageX
                  • Dec 2008

Granted this was a while ago, but at the time I was purchasing an LCD monitor, Apple and Dell were both using the same Philips screen. Basically the internals were the same and when I did a side by side comparison there was no difference except for the fact that Apple had a more aesthetically pleasing design. The Dell LCD had a variety of inputs as well.

Another thing to take into account is the warranty. While Apple had a 1 year warranty, the Dell had a 3 year warranty and it was more than half the price of the Cinema Display.

Aside from looking at the technological aspect, it is also a good idea to look up warranty information as some manufacturer's have 90 day warranties.

I use my screen professionally and use Photoshop extensively as I am a conceptual artist (film/games) and also for editing videos, so the Dell does the job nicely.

Comment

• munch
                    • Aug 2008

this case is pretty cool

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

My camera is still at nikon. Incredible. Thinking to just trade it in.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

time for a switch ;)
                        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Yes, but there is no way i am going to settle for a PS (Piece.of .Shit), and I can't afford a dSLR. :-( Maybe on my birthday if I get enough cash from the fam.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
                            ventiundici
                            • Dec 2006

whats the nikon you have?
                            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

sp5100

It's a good camera, but it's no dSLR.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
                                ventiundici
                                • Dec 2006

if you want an excellent p&s, I recently got the Canon S90 and its awesome. its around $400. with a dslr its worth keeping in mind that you need a good lens to take full advantage of it, with a kit lens, this p&s will actually surpass it in low light conditions.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎