Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theetruscan
    • Jan 2008

MSG doesn't make you sweaty, that's in your head. There's been a bunch of research into MSG, and it all amounts to, err, sound and fury signifying nothing. Basically, MSG is in all kinds of foods we eat, and no experiment with a control group has been able to find any effect from MSG. Now, many people react to certain spicy foods, or have allergies to foods commonly cooked with MSG, but the MSG itself isn't the cause. There's a reasonable body of experimental results on this.
    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

there was a lenghty discussion somewhere earlier, maybe this thread?

anyway, I suppose some could be hypersensitive to it which might explain some of the beliefs, but its mostly nonsense. I love my yakitori sauce
      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• I want the person who smeared chewing gum on the seat i sat on dead. My Julius wrap coat has chewing gum on it now, and i can't get it out. It's so soft and sticky. I didn't touch it at first cause i thought i t would just get worked in more, and now i'm icing it. hopefully it will work. Any other good tips?

Comment

• theetruscan
          • Jan 2008

Pro tip: Burn down his house. It helps.
          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• i got most of it out, but still a few spots left. they're rubbed in. if that bastard knew what he got himself into. IT'S MY COAT. THE COAT OF COATS FFS!!!!!

Comment

• Stack
              • Jan 2008

according to Groundskeeper Willy, chewing gum's got to be chewed out.
              once you get off the drugs and the alcohol, that's when you realise how dark you really are

Comment

• zamb
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Heirloom View Post
                i got most of it out, but still a few spots left. they're rubbed in. if that bastard knew what he got himself into. IT'S MY COAT. THE COAT OF COATS FFS!!!!!
                you can try some alcohol, such as rum or gin on the spots that are left.........that should help removing the residual amount
                “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Sombre
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                  you can try some alcohol, such as rum or gin on the spots that are left.........that should help removing the residual amount
                  You want to use something that precious to remove a chewing gum stain? That is unacceptable
                  An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                  I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Sombre
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                    MSG doesn't make you sweaty, that's in your head. There's been a bunch of research into MSG, and it all amounts to, err, sound and fury signifying nothing. Basically, MSG is in all kinds of foods we eat, and no experiment with a control group has been able to find any effect from MSG. Now, many people react to certain spicy foods, or have allergies to foods commonly cooked with MSG, but the MSG itself isn't the cause. There's a reasonable body of experimental results on this.
                    I think the best thing to say is that studies so far have been inconclusive. There may be no solid evidence for why one should not consume it (although there was one study that suggested that MSG contributes to obesity), but there's also no evidence that says it's healthy. Even DDT was praised at one point.

Comment

• Sombre
                      • Jan 2009

Ok, so bugs have decided to live in my closet. Thay are small (about the size of fruit flies) and light brown, and seem to have multiplied many fold while I was gone for Thanksgiving vacation. My questions are: does anyone know wtf these are?
                      If you do, are they eating my clothing?
                      Is there any way to get rid of them apart from calling the exterminator?

EDIT: So I'm told they could be fungus gnats, as others in the dormitory have the same problem. To my knowledge, gnats do not eat clothing, but how the hell did they get here in the first place?
                      Last edited by Sombre; 11-30-2009, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
                        I think the best thing to say is that studies so far have been inconclusive. There may be no solid evidence for why one should not consume it (although there was one study that suggested that MSG contributes to obesity), but there's also no evidence that says it's healthy. Even DDT was praised at one point.
                        Yeah, I'm not too worried about eating a little MSG every now and then but I can't help but think that it's fishy...it's not that hard to make food taste good without it, so what's the point exactly? To make money? Sure, it could contribute to obesity because if it makes everything taste better, you'll probably end up eating more...of everything.
                        http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• zamb
                          • Nov 2006

I would recommend that you remove the clothing and any other damageable valuables until you fight out what they are...................
                          better to be safe than sorry.

Ok, so bugs have decided to live in my closet. Thay are small (about the size of fruit flies) and light brown, and seem to have multiplied many fold while I was gone for Thanksgiving vacation. My questions are: does anyone know wtf these are?
                          If you do, are they eating my clothing?
                          Is there any way to get rid of them apart from calling the exterminator?

EDIT: So I'm told they could be fungus gnats, as others in the dormitory have the same problem. To my knowledge, gnats do not eat clothing, but how the hell did they get here in the first place?

Comment

• Sombre
                            • Jan 2009

Thanks Zamb, you make a good point. On that note, I think I'll take my suits and coats to the drycleaner as well.

On the bright side, I captured one in a jar, so tomorrow I'm going to find an insectology professor and get a positive ID on the critter.

How is your recovery from your fall coming along?

Comment

• zamb
                              • Nov 2006

Thanks Zamb, you make a good point. On that note, I think I'll take my suits and coats to the drycleaner as well.

On the bright side, I captured one in a jar, so tomorrow I'm going to find an insectology professor and get a positive ID on the critter.

How is your recovery from your fall coming along?
                              Still cannot sit comfortably, and having to sit awkwardly is now giving me a slight back pain.
                              I am feeling better though........... and I started working again today,

Made a new style Bag this evening.

Comment

• Sombre
                                • Jan 2009

Sorry about the persistent pain the butt (no pun intended). If it's just soreness though it's nothing to worry about, it will pass (eventually).

Congratulations on the new style of bag. I know you were working on the canvas version of the Polis, so this is all good news.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎