Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahn
    • Jul 2012

Re: Mealworm farm - My natural instinct is disgust but from a logic perspective (both environmental and nutritional) my interest has been quite seriously piqued. Could I get over my irrational disgust of insect eating? I guess if they were prepared for me disguised in another food it would be less confronting. Actually having my own farm on my countertop though with live beetles and larve and whatnot... I do not think I could.
    some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• dji
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Nickefuge View Post
      I think I’ eat (almost) anything as long as it´s buried in chocolate ... (or ketchup).

The Economist was giving this out in Sydney last week, honestly I could have done without the mildly disturbing crunchy bits (the whole mealworms were particularly confronting) though as all they offered was a mildly sesame-esque flavour but it was 40C/100F out so whatever.

Comment

• MJRH
        • Nov 2006

Haven't tried mealworms yet, but anyone who loves eating sardines, shrimp, or escargot would be nuts not to be intrigued by this.

dji, intrigued about the texture—was it the idea of eating bugs that was disturbing for you, or was it offputting in the same way gristle can be?
        ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• dji
          • Feb 2008

^ bit of both perhaps, they were freeze dried so the texture was somewhat odd.

Comment

• BlacknWhite
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by SafetyKat View Post
            Converting to powdered cricket? I'll admit, Ill be willing to give it a try... for science

[IMG][/IMG]

Anyone ever try something like this?
            I could totally see my self eating this off a stick. I'm not sure why, maybe it's because they look like lobsters, maybe I've been conditioned to not think so badly of it due to the abundance of them at museum gift shops as lollipops.

Comment

• skullkid
              • Aug 2015

i have...in Beijing. not as bad as it looks. i didnt like the ant though

Comment

• ronin
                Banned
                • Dec 2009

^ weird, I thought ants were one of the only common insects we shouldn't eat because of their high concentration in formic acid. Maybe cooking them somehow alters it.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                  • Apr 2013

I eat locusts on a regular basis, hell if you come to japan Ill take you to eat them and I bet you would love them.
                  Originally posted by unwashed
                  Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
                  Originally posted by Ahimsa
                  I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Bret Easton Ellis on Living in the Cult of Likability

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BSR
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/08/op...core-ipad&_r=0
                      me likes

edit: i read the article, i'm sorry but it's mostly narcissist crap, how someone who is supposed to be a "writer" can work with stupid and irrelevant categories such as "Generation X"? He is the pale shadow of the brillant novelist he once was. All he has to say about the culture of sameness and blandness is as bland as what he criticizes.
                      Last edited by BSR; 12-09-2015, 01:27 PM.
                      pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                      Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• bukka
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/08/op...core-ipad&_r=0
                        Thanks for sharing, good reading
                        Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BSR View Post
                          me likes

edit: i read the article, i'm sorry but it's mostly narcissist crap, how someone who is supposed to be a "writer" can work with stupid and irrelevant categories such as "Generation X"? He is the pale shadow of the brillant novelist he once was. All he has to say about the culture of sameness and blandness is as bland as what he criticizes.
                          Mmm, yes, you make valid points. I could do without allusions to corporate overlords and such. But there are some finer points well put. Still a decent argument constructed as far as NYT goes . God knows I've read many articles of this genre, and they are mostly crap. The best one is still the college graduate address by Jonathan Franzen. And the funniest one is by Gary Shteyngart in Super Sad True Love Story. The book got boring pretty quick but boy did he nail the culture of being constantly ranked and constantly visible.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

This week's New Yorker cover.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• En.
                              • May 2015

Well, shit. The expressions were a nice touch.

Comment

• Emel
                                • Oct 2010

Just downloaded my first add-blocker. God is the internet now a beautiful place!
                                It's the suede/denim secret police; they've come to your house for your long haired niece

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎