Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theetruscan
    • Jan 2008

I'm looking for a good pocketable camera for an upcoming bicycle tour of Provence. I'm used to Canon, so I was going to get an S90, but I know next to nothing about the state of cameras right now. Is the S90 still relatively current/good, or is it a dinosaur by digicam standards?

Does the little ring on the front give me access to most things I would be used to having on an old-school (other than focus), or is it much more limited?

Thank you
    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• CUTUP
      • Sep 2009

^ My younger brother is a photography and camera nut. The man is a walking encyclopedia of camera knowledge

Give me your budget and any choices you may have, and I will get at him with an opinion and post it up for you
      Originally posted by marco-von
      this all hurts my brain more than child birth hurts vagina's.

Comment

• endersgame
        • Aug 2009

kucejoe, T* is a multi-coating designation for modern Zeiss lenses. This coating has superior flare reducing and contrast increasing capabilities. I've used T* on Hasselblads and it's just incredible. Anything Zeiss makes is quality stuff (even vintage). You should take them to a camera shop to see if they need repair or cleaning.

whatever you have will probably reduce any DSLR into a manual focusing camera with no digital communication with the body.

If you end up not using them, they will probably fetch a handsome sum on ebay if they are in good condition..

i don't know anything about adapters but you may look here to see how much they go for..

if for some reason you can't find this adapter, sk grimes can machine anything for you...

Comment

• lowrey
          ventiundici
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
          I'm looking for a good pocketable camera for an upcoming bicycle tour of Provence. I'm used to Canon, so I was going to get an S90, but I know next to nothing about the state of cameras right now. Is the S90 still relatively current/good, or is it a dinosaur by digicam standards?

Does the little ring on the front give me access to most things I would be used to having on an old-school (other than focus), or is it much more limited?
          the S90 came out just half a year ago, so I don't know how/why it would be old...? in my book its one the best pocket sized cameras there has ever been. as DSLR user I've pretty much always found my expectations towards point and shoot cameras to be way too high and I've usually been dissapointed (I've tried Sony's, Leica's, older Canons), but the S90 surprised me. the controls are great particularly for a Canon user, the low light performance and image quality are very good in p&s standards.

The control ring can be assigned to various functions, the most convenient would probably be to assign it to shutter speed when using manual settings.
          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
            • Mar 2007

S90

Looks like I've got to check out the S90 one of these days...nothing but rave reviews from users.

But I'm so used to my GRDII, which in my books is also an excellent p&s.

Anyone here tried the Ricoh GRX?

Comment

• theetruscan
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
              the S90 came out just half a year ago, so I don't know how/why it would be old...? in my book its one the best pocket sized cameras there has ever been.
              For some reason I thought it came out in October, 2009. Which would make it due for an upgrade in the next few months (most likely). Sounds like I'm mixing up announced with released. Anyway, looks like I need an S90.

Thank you very much.

Also, CUTUP, I'm basically hunting a high performance pocketable camera under $400. If your brother can think of anything else i should look at, cool, but since the S90 is much newer than I thought, I'm not sure it's worth bothering him.
              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• kucejoe
                • Sep 2006

endersgame: Thanks for the info. I'll look into everything you said / recommended.
                Suspension Point Store (Online + Montreal, QC) / Tumblr / Instagram

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

For some reason I thought it came out in October, 2009.
                  hmm, could be, I just remember it was late 09. anyway, Canon didn't produce a successor for the s80 for nearly 4 years so the S90 might be sold for several years. and either way, its a top notch camera so I'm not sure how they'd even top it off
                  "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• theetruscan
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                    hmm, could be, I just remember it was late 09. anyway, Canon didn't produce a successor for the s80 for nearly 4 years so the S90 might be sold for several years. and either way, its a top notch camera so I'm not sure how they'd even top it off
                    Fair enough, though the S80 had the huge gap after it because the line was discontinued for years. The time between S70 and S80 (and i think s60-s70) was in the 12-18 month range I think.

Comment

• endersgame
                      • Aug 2009

i got a chance to see a cruse scanner in action recently and thought instead of taking pictures for waywt, you can just lie on the flatbed and scan yourself..

Comment

• theetruscan
                        • Jan 2008

Who knew? I was right about the s90 being replaced. Blind luck, but yeah ... there's an S95 now.

I nearly bought the s90 the day before the 95 came out. The differences appear minimal.

Canon has launched the PowerShot S95 premium compact as successor to the S90. The latest model includes an upgraded sensor capable of 720p HD video recording and the company's 'Hybrid IS' system that compensates for more types of movement. It also adds multi-aspect ratio shooting and SDXC card compatibility. Other than these features it inherits a lightly tweaked version of the S90's basic body design including the control ring, 28-105mm F2.0-4.9 stabilized lens and 3.0" LCD.

Comment

• Diego
                          • Aug 2007

Who knew? I was right about the s90 being replaced. Blind luck, but yeah ... there's an S95 now.
                          I just bought the s90 like 3 weeks ago for the wife

Comment

• david s
                            • Jul 2010

Does anyone have experience with either of the Sony NEXs? The 3 model or the 5 model?

Going to be traveling for awhile and want to find something in between a point and shoot and the 3 kilo Canon I'm lugging around with me right now; that weight all day gets tiring.

I want something that will shoot 14 megs or above and relatively lightweight. HD video nice feature, but not necessarily needed.

Any help/advice/experience better models to check out, greatly appreciated.

thx.
                            It's absolutely Hedious!
                            shy poser

Comment

• lowrey
                              ventiundici
                              • Dec 2006

damn, didn't see that one coming.. sorry to anyone who I might've mislead with my presumptions

definitely seems like its rather a facelift than a new model though.

Comment

• kofi3159
                                • Feb 2009

Anyone heard and know when the new Sony a33/55 is coming out..
                                Heard this is a revolution for amateur photographing..

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎