X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doldrums
    • Dec 2008

Try this:

Deleted Link - so I don't misdirect others.
    Last edited by doldrums; 08-05-2009, 06:37 PM.

Comment

• maldoror
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by doldrums View Post
      this page just links to a bunch of rapidshare links for different albums.

Originally posted by doldrums View Post
      Let me know if it doesn't work and I can make one myself.
      yes please tia

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• doldrums
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by maldoror View Post
          this page just links to a bunch of rapidshare links for different albums.

yes please tia
          redact link removal
          Last edited by doldrums; 08-16-2009, 03:56 PM.

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
            • Nov 2008

Lemme see what I can do for y'all.

And yeah, I do have the real P aa opal...and it slays. It's weird though - I've had it for like, a year or something, maybe longer? It's nothing like their earlier stuff...but man, do I love it.

Also - I was going through my Itunes - and I came across "Trörkrvisätänsrökrëh" - did one of you weirdos give me this? It's great!

Still killing me - Grinning Death's Head. Get on it, kids.

Originally posted by maldoror View Post
            can't find an atropine link (real or otherwise) anywhere, so if someone could hook that up it would be much appreciated. the one track I've heard, funeral smoke, is seriously excellent dark ambient.

real version of p aa opal should have josh's vocals on oviamoire and sovarine.

Comment

• CommieRabbit
              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by hamletpowpowpow View Post
              "Trörkrvisätänsrökrëh" - did one of you weirdos give me this? It's great!
              Yar, t'is a good one.

Also keep on coming with the American BM updates. Don't live in the states so know little about their scene aside from some of the more obvious releases, but from what I've gotten in this thread it seems like some damn good stuff out there. I like their approach to BM sound.

Comment

• galia
                • Jun 2009

So has anyone listened to Dark Night of the Soul yet ? I don't download so I don't have it, but I'm very curious as to how it is

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
                  • Nov 2008

Ah, a good friend of mine and Alex's is actually writing a book on USBM - he actually had a reading of excerpts from it last night at Joe's Pub...but elements of it have been published in the Believer. I couldn't go - Rhys Chatham 200 guitar rehearsals...

But my friend sets up a really good argument for USBM being a bit more raw, bad ass, weird and fucked up than the rest of the world's black metal: America is a much more fucked up place compared to Norway, Sweden, France. Some funny interviews with USBM people basically calling folk like Varg a bunch of pussies. There's a great quote from Blake of Nachtmystium who pretty much says something to the effect that there are drug dealers on his block that are more bad ass and scary than Gaal. It's hysterical.

Originally posted by CommieRabbit View Post
                  Yar, t'is a good one.

Also keep on coming with the American BM updates. Don't live in the states so know little about their scene aside from some of the more obvious releases, but from what I've gotten in this thread it seems like some damn good stuff out there. I like their approach to BM sound.

Comment

• kollaps
                    • Jul 2009

the last two days have i've been listening to:
                    Rapeman - two nuns and a pack mule
                    Liars - they were wrong so we drowned
                    Magik Markers - boss
                    Slint - spiderland

And i just pulled out some varg (filosofem) and my out of cold storage box set, because i saw you guys talking about it. + i downloaded that Velvet Cacoon record.

Comment

• klangspiel
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by hamletpowpowpow View Post
                      But my friend sets up a really good argument for USBM being a bit more raw, bad ass, weird and fucked up than the rest of the world's black metal: America is a much more fucked up place compared to Norway, Sweden, France.
                      would love to hear your friend's argument because i for one find it very hard to argee with the sentiment that usbm is more "fucked up" than bm elsewhere. i've listened to bm pretty much all my life and have never once found usbm (particularly the current crop especially sfbm) as weird and raw as, say, their european counterparts. you probably could make more of a case for america being a fucked up place than europe, though i'd disagree on that as well. :)

you'd have to look beyond the vargs and gaahls (or for that matter, the deathspells and watains) of this world to find the really crazy shit out there. (which is not to say burzum, gorgoroth and the like aren't crazy shit in themselves). much like any musical sub-culture, there's always a thriving and vibrant underground or even sub-sub-underground underneath the veneer of its "mainstream". nothing exemplifies this more than bm particularly in europe. let me just say, there's an insane amount of stuff out there past and present. for every free-improv / noise / folk band that pop up each day, there are at least 10 bm outfits born on a daily basis. too much that one'd struggle to keep up. bm is too vast of a universe - a bottomless abyss if you will - to simply reduce it to any recognisable "mainstream", or any stream for that matter, that has surfaced over the years.

usbm has received a great deal of hype (mostly owing to the interest from the indie / experimental / doom cosmos) in the last couple of years and that's fine and perhaps justifiable. unfortunately europe has been left considerably on the wayside as far as that kind of hype is concerned. and there are many many bm outfits that simply don't register on that hype radar. here are two examples: dark tribe (germany) and goatmoon (finland). both relatively new bands that have released albums (in jeraspunta and death before dishonour) that sit comfortably in my top 10 bm records of the last ten years. as far as i'm aware of, there's nothing remotely comparable in usbm in terms of weirdness and rawness. there's just no way a usbm group could've come up with something like this or this.
                      Last edited by klangspiel; 08-06-2009, 12:59 PM.

Comment

• One
                        • Aug 2009

Origa & Philip Glass atm

Comment

• maldoror
                          • Jun 2007

while on the topic of "most fucked up black metal":

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
                            • Nov 2008

I'm not doing brandon justice and I'm really overly simplifying what is a fantastic article. It's not so black and white or nationalistic as that. It's kind of a call to arms for USBM, basically kind of says - the rest of the world doesn't take us seriously, but fuck you, we couldn't care less anyways. We don't need to burn churches or torture people to make badass music. We live in a genuinely fucked up country and that's enough.

So I was really over simplifying his argument, and I'm most certainly not looking to start a eubm v usbm debate here. The only thing lamer than watching dudes argue over boots that cost 2k, would be to watch those same people argue over which strain of black metal is cooler. Heh. And I couldn't care less either way - the only reason I listen to usbm more, is because I'm directly involved in that scene...I identify with it more.

So to clarify - nowhere in that article does my friend state that usbm is more fucked up than eubm. Besides nothing will ever be weirder than this, so it doesn't matter:

Originally posted by klangspiel View Post
                            would love to hear your friend's argument because i for one find it very hard to argee with the sentiment that usbm is more "fucked up" than bm elsewhere. i've listened to bm pretty much all my life and have never once found usbm (particularly the current crop especially sfbm) as weird and raw as, say, their european counterparts. you probably could make more of a case for america being a fucked up place than europe, though i'd disagree on that as well. :)

you'd have to look beyond the vargs and gaahls (or for that matter, the deathspells and watains) of this world to find the really crazy shit out there. (which is not to say burzum, gorgoroth and the like aren't crazy shit in themselves). much like any musical sub-culture, there's always a thriving and vibrant underground or even sub-sub-underground underneath the veneer of its "mainstream". nothing exemplifies this more than bm particularly in europe. let me just say, there's an insane amount of stuff out there past and present. for every free-improv / noise / folk band that pop up each day, there are at least 10 bm outfits born on a daily basis. too much that one'd struggle to keep up. bm is too vast of a universe - a bottomless abyss if you will - to simply reduce it to any recognisable "mainstream", or any stream for that matter, that has surfaced over the years.

usbm has received a great deal of hype (mostly owing to the interest from the indie / experimental / doom cosmos) in the last couple of years and that's fine and perhaps justifiable. unfortunately europe has been left considerably on the wayside as far as that kind of hype is concerned. and there are many many bm outfits that simply don't register on that hype radar. here are two examples: dark tribe (germany) and goatmoon (finland). both relatively new bands that have released albums (in jeraspunta and death before dishonour) that sit comfortably in my top 10 bm records of the last ten years. as far as i'm aware of, there's nothing remotely comparable in usbm in terms of weirdness and rawness. there's just no way a usbm group could've come up with something like this or this.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                              • Nov 2007

all black metal sounds the same anyway
                              LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Ohrstrom
                                • Nov 2008

Mars Volta is till the ultimate music for me, new album is fantastic, not as hard at the previous Bedlam in Goliath.

nice artwork too, by Jeff Jordan.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎