X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • olethomas
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MoFiya View Post
    Has anybody of the running folks here changed their technique to a fore- / midfoot strike?
    Anything you can recommend? E.g. complementing strength exercises or running drills or just general good reads about the topic?

Also, feel free to share your experience regarding the transition. Are you still able to fit in your pants or have your calves grown significantly
    about forefoot strike: yeah! works a lot for my knees. couldn't run more than maximum once a week and even then my knees made this knock-sound now and then. now i'm forefoot running (with a pair of nike free runs (not because they're probably the best, but they're good and they look good imo) and it has changed my whole workout life. but i have to say: beware, don't just forefoot run, your heel have to touch the ground as well, unless you want a fuckup achilles in a couple of weeks! regarding calve growth: i only have loose pants or shorts (with leggings) so that's not a significant issue for me yet. haha.

Comment

• fncyths
      • Apr 2010

I know this thread leans more towards fitness but was wondering if anyone on here is hip on the ayurvedic diet. Studying up on which dosha I am now.

thanks in advance!
      Originally posted by Shucks
      it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
      Originally posted by interest1
      I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• MoFiya
        • Sep 2007

Thanks for the tips! However, I've refrained from buying some books about running technique for the following reasons:

a) I am still convinced, that running technique is something quite individual. There is no optimal style for everyone. Hence, I strive to evolve my technique with various drills and exercises such as running in place. I do these quite concentrated and focused on technique but when running alone, I try not to think too much about how I run. I fear, that a book would disrupt that.

b) I have quite a depth knowledge about running and training and upon close inspection of the book's chapters, I could already tell you about half the content.

c) I hate the American writing style. Terry Laughlin's Total Immersion was a pain in the ass to read.

I am currently thrilled to get rid of all my old running shoes. Bought some Inov-8s a while back and am currently awaiting my second pair. These are the best shoes I've ever ran with Highly recommended if you do not know the brand yet. Drop varies from shoe to shoe but is rather small (up until zero) and feels amazingly close to the ground. The brand also offers some shoes for trail-running, fitness training, etc.

Also, started to do rope skipping to get my calves used to more workload.

But I will increase the mileage only shortly. I've set the ambitious goal of taking the whole year just for the transistion to midfoot/forefoot strike. So byebye competitions for this year.
        I have dreams of orca whales and owls
        But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• cowsareforeating
          • Jan 2011

Thanks for the tips! However, I've refrained from buying some books about running technique for the following reasons:

a) I am still convinced, that running technique is something quite individual. There is no optimal style for everyone. Hence, I strive to evolve my technique with various drills and exercises such as running in place. I do these quite concentrated and focused on technique but when running alone, I try not to think too much about how I run. I fear, that a book would disrupt that.

b) I have quite a depth knowledge about running and training and upon close inspection of the book's chapters, I could already tell you about half the content.

c) I hate the American writing style. Terry Laughlin's Total Immersion was a pain in the ass to read.

I am currently thrilled to get rid of all my old running shoes. Bought some Inov-8s a while back and am currently awaiting my second pair. These are the best shoes I've ever ran with Highly recommended if you do not know the brand yet. Drop varies from shoe to shoe but is rather small (up until zero) and feels amazingly close to the ground. The brand also offers some shoes for trail-running, fitness training, etc.

Also, started to do rope skipping to get my calves used to more workload.

But I will increase the mileage only shortly. I've set the ambitious goal of taking the whole year just for the transistion to midfoot/forefoot strike. So byebye competitions for this year.

im no running expert but i remember reading a recent study among two separate barefoot running tribes in africa -- one almost all heel strike, one almost all forefoot strike. long story short, all of them stayed really healthy and ran a lot (and fast)

BUT

the forefoot strike tribe on average ran longer distances AND at a faster pace.

take it for what its worth. sample size of each tribe was no larger than 100 though so its not statistically impenetrable

Comment

• MoFiya
            • Sep 2007

I found this one interesting as well. Long story short: even elite runners do heel strike.

But I am not only keen on running fast but also on running injury free. I've ran really good times since I started runnning in 2008 but had to deal with lots of orthopaedic problems. Always did balance training and core stability stuff. So either am I not made for running or these highly cushioned shoes just are not for me. I take a year off now (that is, without competitions and a higher mileage) and work towards the midfoot strike and see if that is more suited for me :)
            I have dreams of orca whales and owls
            But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• olethomas
              • Dec 2010

I found this one interesting as well. Long story short: even elite runners do heel strike.

But I am not only keen on running fast but also on running injury free. I've ran really good times since I started runnning in 2008 but had to deal with lots of orthopaedic problems. Always did balance training and core stability stuff. So either am I not made for running or these highly cushioned shoes just are not for me. I take a year off now (that is, without competitions and a higher mileage) and work towards the midfoot strike and see if that is more suited for me :)

alright i should get off my high forefoot striking horse. today i've been limping since i woke up. ran a long trip yesterday and today i can't hardly walk on the fucking (right) foot because of the knee. conclusion: i'm disqualified from actually giving running advice ever. consider it a late aprils fools.

Comment

• kuriz
                • Nov 2010

Lately I have had so much work and school that it has been hard to find the time to work out more than twice a week (three times if I was lucky). I'm your regular guy, 183 cm tall weighting 68-69 kilo so my body is rather skinny with some visible muscle especially around the chest and the back (and yes, I do lift legs also).
                Anyway, not being able to workout 4-5 times a week as I did before made me think: a) how long does it take for a normal human being before he or she feels that they can't lift or do as many exercises? b) and when would the visible muscle tone around your body begin to become noticeable smaller? I know this isn't a bodybuilding forum but it seems that a lot of you have had experience with working out or bodybuilding for a period of time and then stopping, and then returning later on.

Comment

• 0JSIMPS0N
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2011

such a vague question that depends on so many factors. your body type matters, how much you weigh now, how much youre eating, exercise level, how much protein youre getting, how much sleep youre getting etc. but for me it has always been a 2-4 weeks before I noticeable start losing a bit of mass but I never let it go beyond that. Cause all you really need is 10 minutes to do some bodyweight exercises once every couple of days to maintain what you already have. Dont really buy the whole "oh I dont have time work/school/family" shit it just all comes down to priorities I guess

Comment

• lowrey
                    ventiundici
                    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by 0JSIMPS0N View Post
                    Dont really buy the whole "oh I dont have time work/school/family" shit it just all comes down to priorities I guess
                    theres really nothing to "buy" when you presumably don't know anything about the person in question...

kuriz, I didn't quite understand your question, are you planning on continuing to work out the mentioned 2-3 times a weel, o taking a total break?
                    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• kuriz
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                      theres really nothing to "buy" when you presumably don't know anything about the person in question...

kuriz, I didn't quite understand your question, are you planning on continuing to work out the mentioned 2-3 times a weel, o taking a total break?

Thank you.

Yes I most likely didn't make that clear enough: I do intend to keep working out 2-3 times a week until the busy schedule is over. Taking a total break would most likely be the end of me
                      Have you tried taking breaks for longer or shorter periods of time?

Comment

• 0JSIMPS0N
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by lowrey View Post

If you really care about staying in shape, you find the time. If you have time to go on SZ you have time to work out.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Yes, but you'd have to be really manic about it. We prioritize in our complicated and busy lives and with work and family it often becomes hard. I've been there.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• 0JSIMPS0N
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2011

You dont have to go to the gym to get a decent workout. All you need is yourself, some floor space, and like 15 minutes.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Maybe for you :-). You have to take into account people's body type, age, metabolism speed, etc. If all I needed was 15 min every day, I'd be very happy.
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Arcane
                                • Jul 2008

Fuck me!

Just got back from my first proper workout... like ever (not true but say a couple of years). Busted but feeling great, really hope I can stay on course and get my body into proper shape again.
                                Label me landlord, I keep k's in my hand

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎