• Vanna
    • May 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    I knew somebody would catch that.
    Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• todestrieb
      • Mar 2009

Forget Kafka, Meyrink's the man. A horribly underrated writer. Re-reading his most well-known novel, The Golem, for the umpteenth time. It isn't so much a retelling of the mythical creature, or a depiction of the creature, transposed to another setting, as it is a symbolic manifestation of the internal pathos endemic to a depressing and gloomy ghetto in turn-of-the-century Prague. Reads like a piece of sinister and disturbing claustrophobia.

Comment

• Mail-Moth
        • Mar 2009

I wouldn't go so far as placing Meyrink above Kafka. The Golem is a good novel, this is true - but it is the only interesting book he wrote - maybe along with Walpurgisnacht. The others are mainly attempts to put western occult tradition in fictions : often previsible, quite unpersonnal, and rather heavy footed. I used to love the man and his work a lot in my twenties ; but when I tried to reread it three or four years ago - bam. I found nothing in it.

As for the Road, I discovered it recently - and I was surprised not to like it so much. I can't help but find it obscurely christian, which is not my cup of tea. Nevertheless it is a great book, and I can imagine for it the same kind of career as for, say, Of Mice and men - that is, a great popular reading, loved by very different kinds of readers. It just doesn't appeal to me. There are things I love in McCarthy that I do not find there, and even if I can understand why they're lacking, I miss them.
        I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
        I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• theetruscan
          • Jan 2008

Just finished:

Anathem - Neal Stephenson. Like most of his recent books, it's a fantastic piece of genre fiction. The story, which is where genre fiction tends to excel, is excellent. The writing is quite good. Unfortunately, like most of his recent works, it is in desperate need of a ruthless editor.

Reading:

Drink: a cultural history of alcohol - Iain Gately. Great fun, full of wonderful bar trivia and something of a solid history as well. I love these kinds of books. History revolving around one thing is great reading. Though, after Kurlansky and Gately (Salt, Cod, Food of a Younger Land, Tobacco), I don't know what else to read.
          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• galia
            • Jun 2009

I just read my first Huysmans, Là bas, and, while I fully enjoyed the themes (Gilles de Rais and satanism), I found it too verbose and lacking in atmosphere

I'm ready to give him a second chance, so if you have recomendations I'd love to hear them

Comment

• Mail-Moth
              • Mar 2009

Is it the english title for Houellebecq's Les Particules élémentaires ?

Comment

• mamaboy
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Mail-Moth View Post
                Is it the english title for Houellebecq's Les Particules élémentaires ?
                elementary particles or atomised
                but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• mamaboy
                  • Mar 2008

im stupid i missed the joke

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                    • Mar 2009

But I was serious ! I made a verification since. Vile bodies would have been an interesting translation, although not very accurate - and certainly too good for that book.

Comment

• BSR
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by galia View Post
                      I just read my first Huysmans, Là bas, and, while I fully enjoyed the themes (Gilles de Rais and satanism), I found it too verbose and lacking in atmosphere

I'm ready to give him a second chance, so if you have recomendations I'd love to hear them
                      You should of course try A rebours. I love Huysmans (and Là-bas in particular), his characters are truly modern, they are as weak and indecisve as Flaubert's ones, but they are fully aware of their worthlessness. As if Emma had read Madame Bovary.
                      pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                      Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• DamageX
                        • Dec 2008

I am currently reading Philip K. Dick's Valis. So far, I am really loving it.

Comment

• galia
                          • Jun 2009

One one level I agree BSR, but it's too brainy for me (and I am quite a brainy person). Perhaps I'm in an atmospheric phase where I have less somach for self-reflective writing. I still found it quite enjoyble and thought he raised many valid concerns. Actually his oppinions are often eerily similar to mine, so of course I'm going to like him on that level

You're not the first person to tell me I should try A Rebours, so I'll let you know what I thought once I've read it

Comment

• BSR
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by galia View Post
                            One one level I agree BSR, but it's too brainy for me (and I am quite a brainy person). Perhaps I'm in an atmospheric phase where I have less somach for self-reflective writing. I still found it quite enjoyble and thought he raised many valid concerns. Actually his oppinions are often eerily similar to mine, so of course I'm going to like him on that level

You're not the first person to tell me I should try A Rebours, so I'll let you know what I thought once I've read it
                            If you're on an 'atmospheric phase', indeed Huysmans' fouled air isn't the most appropriate climate! A rebours is certainly his most conceptual book (far more than the two overlapping plots of Là-bas), but I won't tell you more. Your feedback is now strongly expected...
                            pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                            Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• mamaboy
                              • Mar 2008

new testament.....jesus moves me to tears

Comment

• zamb
                                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by mamaboy View Post
                                new testament.....jesus moves me to tears
                                very good read............i cant live without it.

I am reading Lolita right now,
                                Faust loaned me his Copy.

.........................We should revive the book club.
                                “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                                .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎