Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fade to Black
    • Sep 2008

The 50th Law...the 50 Cent marketing blurbs repetition aside, I think it's Robert Greene's most well honed, well observed and articulate communication of his ideas yet.
    www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• laughed
      • Jul 2009

this guy's blog. greatness.

click on ralph's blog

anyone own the kindle? thoughts?
      Last edited by laughed; 09-25-2009, 09:38 PM.

Comment

• nictan
        • Jul 2009

reason and persuasion: three dialogues by plato.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by laughed View Post

click on ralph's blog

search. there is a thread about it.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• raddy
            • Oct 2008

second stieg larsson novel - girl who played with fire

Halfway through and haven't really been able to get into it, as I really can't deal with any of the supporting characters and, for a thriller, it really drags when it isn't Salander's POV.

on and off reading murakami's what i talk about when i talk about running -- it's near antithetical to how i feel about competition and athleticism, but his anti-competitive artisinal running as craft philosophy is still fun to think about it and it ends up being more honest than preachy so far so I think it's a win.

Been meaing to start Asimov's End of Eternity for a while, but I'm somewhat dreading how slow and dry it'll likely be.
            Looking for CCP Rain in 50, IS/MA+ loose trousers (IS S/S10!!)

Comment

• theetruscan
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by laughed View Post

click on ralph's blog

Kindle is awesome. Traveler's best friend. If you don't read papers for work, get the new irex reader though. If you read papers for work, get the DX.
              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• reac99
                • Sep 2009

Recently started on Diary of Anne Frank.

About a third of it done so far. Very good read, although it's a bit different to what I imagined it would be like. Nevertheless it's a book everyone should read once in their lifetime.
                R76 Travel - Airlines, hotels, guides, news, accessories and everything related…

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                  • Mar 2009

Michaux ? Was reading him too this afternoon. Sorry for the quality of the personal translation, not always accurate, but as I was quite moved by this one I wanted to share it.

TOWARD SERENITY

The one who does not accept this world does not build a house there. If he's cold, it is without being cold. He is warm without warmth. If he's felling birches, it is as if he were felling nothing ; but the birches are here, on the ground, and he gets money as agreed, or he gets only blows. He gets blows as a gift without a meaning, and he leaves again without being surprised.

He drinks water without being thirsty, he sinks in stone without feeling hurt.
                  His leg broken, under a truck, he looks as usual, thinking of peace, peace, peace so hard to obtain, so hard to keep, peace.

He never went out but still, the world is familiar to him. He does know the sea. The sea is under him constantly, a sea without water, but not without waves, but not without expanse. He does know the rivers. They flow through him constantly, without water but not without slumbers, not without floods.
                  Hurricanes, airless, are raging inside him. As the earth is motionless, he is. Roads, vehicles, endless herds are running through him, and a big tree, celluloseless but yet firm, ripens in him a sour fruit, sour, often, rarely sweet.
                  So on his own, always alone at the meeting, left forever with no hand to hold in his own hand, he thinks, a fish hook in his heart, of peace, of the darned, nagging peace, his own, as of the other peace they say to be above.

Henri Michaux, La Nuit remue.
                  Last edited by Mail-Moth; 09-28-2009, 03:05 PM.
                  I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                  I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• viv1984viv
                    • Feb 2008

The Crossing by McCarthy alongside Shelly's Frankenstein.

Enjoying both...
                    Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

• jamesd
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by viv1984viv View Post
                      The Crossing by McCarthy alongside Shelly's Frankenstein.

Enjoying both...

This and Dracula are two books that I can always return to and find really interesting reading

Comment

• galia
                        • Jun 2009

I just started Robert Browning's biography by GK Chesterton. Kind of odd since I never read anything written by Browning, but I love Chesterton so hopefully it will be an inspiration to discover a new author

Also in the process of reading a book of W Blake poems selected by Patti Smith. Normally I wouldn't have bought anything other than complete works or one of the original collections as decided by the poet, but it's not so bad. I like her take on things, so it serves as a good introduction to his rather massive body of work. And anyway it's the only Blake book they had at the bookstore when I was there, so I took it as a sort if sign

Comment

• Aleks
                          • Feb 2009

The Painter of Modern Life by Charles Baudelaire

Comment

• TarHeart
                            • Jun 2009

At the moment I'm reading Haruki Murakamis latest novel Sputnik Sweetheart.

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by TarHeart View Post
                              At the moment I'm reading Haruki Murakamis latest novel Sputnik Sweetheart.
                              Huge fan...just waiting for the english translation to IQ84!!!

Comment

• Fade to Black
                                • Sep 2008

was just reading the foucault essay 'of other spaces'....i like this guy's writing style. if i was back in school and had to read theoretical writing this would be the ideal curriculum material.
                                www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎