Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • munch
    • Aug 2008

haha, I was actually hoping to fill my empty bookshelf while I'm at it. it looks so sad. well, I guess borrowing books is the best option.

thanks for the recommendations everyone! if you have any more it is appreciated too

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

You are welcome, munch. I don't know how it is in Sweden, but most of the books I recommended can be gotten for a buck used in the US.

Somber, The Things They Carried is hands down the best war short story I have ever read. The rest of the volume is very good, but that story is a little masterpiece.

More

On self-realization

The Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by galia View Post
        Dostoïevsky will teach you all you need to know about life

I am currently reading Maïakovski's letters to Lili Brik. It's too cute ! there are even little drawings of dogs ! Too bad Maïakovski was a bolshie, but I still have a sort of crush on him (but I have a crush on most russian poets, I'm a silly girl like that. Ossip Mandelstam is my No1 crush and the man was truly ugly)
        What's missing from Dostoyevsky (and I haven't read a lot of it) is the idea of manhood, or at least its part that has to do with human excellence. I can't get over that. That's probably why I hate Crime and Punishment. Of course he was a whiny bitch in real life. An incredibly talented whiny bitch.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• galia
          • Jun 2009

I guess I know nothing of manhood anyway

Also, re-reading my last post, I'm ashamed at how much I sound lne a silly giddy girl. Embarassing...

Comment

• theta
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            What's missing from Dostoyevsky (and I haven't read a lot of it) is the idea of manhood, or at least its part that has to do with human excellence. I can't get over that. That's probably why I hate Crime and Punishment. Of course he was a whiny bitch in real life. An incredibly talented whiny bitch.
            this might be the case with crime and punishment, but there are other dostoevksy characters (like kirillov in demons/the possessed) who certainly embody some idea of 'manhood'.

right now i'm reading the hunting sketches by turgenev.

Comment

• genevieveryoko
              • Sep 2009

I tried to challenge myself to read Ferdydurke once! It was absurd and unfortunately I wasn't able to finish it before I had to return to the library.
              http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by genevieveryoko View Post
                I tried to challenge myself to read Ferdydurke once! It was absurd and unfortunately I wasn't able to finish it before I had to return to the library.
                I got a book for you.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                  • Sep 2009

You actually went there Faust! Thanks, I think will read that one day. I don't really think she's good or evil, but I do think her ideas are relevant. I think it's interesting that she started out writing screenplays. It makes me want to think about propaganda and Vivienne Westwood.
                  http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

How could I not!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
                      • Sep 2008

am having a blast going through Gonzo, the oral account compilation biography of hunter...now I wanna go check out his Hell's Angels.
                      www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• galia
                        • Jun 2009

Hells Angels is really fun to read, lots of funny anecdotes

My favourite hunter is still Fear & Loathing on the campaign trail and the series of articles about his own election campaign. the muhammad ali one was cool too. and the derby one as well

ok I like almost everything the guy wrote

Comment

• Fade to Black
                          • Sep 2008

i've only read his only two novels - Vegas and Rum Diary..this biography is making me now want to read everything he ever wrote as a journalist. the muhammad ali episode is hilarious - dont know if its the same one you mention, but apparently he was smoking dope in a hotel swimming pool during the actual fight thinking he can fuck off the article with his singular imagination and wit, and a similar series of journalistic assignments that either never came to fruition or went about a process of filling in the blanks while higher than James Brown and Marvin Gaye combined.

theres so many books mentioned in this thread that i've heard about everywhere but local bookstores have nothing to do with them. How hard it is to track down even a copy of A rebours in Hong Kong...can never bother with ordering anything online. will have to wait until i'm in a more literary country.
                          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• galia
                            • Jun 2009

that reminds me I have to buy A Rebours

Comment

• MikeN
                              • Nov 2007

Just picked up Richard Dawkins' The Greatest Show on Earth. Looking forward to dive into it, and am going to see him speak on Wednesday.

Comment

• marco-von
                                • Feb 2009

started reading first couple of pages of 'a thousand splendid suns by khaled hosseini, been told by the old dutch its as good if not better than the kite runner so looking forward to getting stuck into it and shedding a tear or two.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎