Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shucks
    • Aug 2010

lowrey i'm so much with you on this i don't even know where to start.

painted black - you obviously don't know this forum. do some damn reading and then come back with better opinions based on being better informed. i lurked for a long time before wasting people's time with my opinions. and i'm still just a noob.

by all means, recommend people to buy something that is in a creative way inspired by something else, or to buy something dirt cheap which still has a modicum of originality. or even better, to save up and invest in something they will love for the remainder of their life, and hopefully also pass on to their children. it's not just about 'esthetics', it's about SOUL. that's lowrey's point about patina, that's my point about saving up for something you love. that's what this whole forum is about! i think you have some maturing to do, mr. collector man.

and just for full disclosure: i'm 35 and i have three master's degrees (but how does your degree even matter?)...

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by PaintedBlack_7 View Post
      i understand that people have different needs, does everyone really need to spend $500 on an original shell chair? no, if you're some college student on a very tight budget you can go ahead and get the same LOOK on a budget that fits you.

i'm 23 years old, and working on a master's degree. most members of this forum are 17-20. over the years i tend to have found out that not everyone has to do it MY way, MY WAY is just that, the way that suits me the best. I find value in it being an original piece. a lot of people in this world do not, i just accept that fact. i don't run up and yell and scream pointing to my piece and tell them how its real and they are lesser people for buying a lower priced replica. i appreciate that they appreciate the aesthetic i'm into.
      this is a serious problem in our society today.................
      where people believe and accept all kinds of stupidity and want to come and tell you that their idiotic views are just as valid as someone who has taken the time to rigorously analyze, critique and deduce something as being valid..............say what you want, but there is no escaping objective reality, and the sooner its accepted, the better life is.............................
      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• PaintedBlack_7
        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by zamb View Post
        this is a serious problem in our society today.................
        where people believe and accept all kinds of stupidity and want to come and tell you that their idiotic views are just as valid as someone who has taken the time to rigorously analyze, critique and deduce something as being valid..............say what you want, but there is no escaping objective reality, and the sooner its accepted, the better life is.............................
        i've been collecting for a few years now. so if anyone here who has taken the time out to research herman miller, knoll and how they differ from replicas found over at your local furniture store off the freeway it would probably be me. like i said, the price difference between the pieces i own and the replicas are NOT small, often times in the thousands, and take years to hunt down. I am not exaggerating here, 50 year old pieces of furniture need a lot of work, and suck up a lot of time when found, and i'm referring to the cleaner pieces i found.

I have no idea why you are attacking my character, but i have no qualms with people who decide to buy replicas when they decide they do not have the means to hunt down these pieces (time and money).

Comment

• lowrey
          ventiundici
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by PaintedBlack_7 View Post
          i've been collecting for a few years now. so if anyone here who has taken the time out to research herman miller, knoll and how they differ from replicas found over at your local furniture store off the freeway it would probably be me. like i said, the price difference between the pieces i own and the replicas are NOT small, often times in the thousands, and take years to hunt down. I am not exaggerating here, 50 year old pieces of furniture need a lot of work, and suck up a lot of time when found, and i'm referring to the cleaner pieces i found.
          oh please... so far you've brought up your furniture collection, your education, the oh so great amount of work and money you've put into all this, and now your great expertise because you've been collecting for a few years. This isn't exactly enhancing your credibility if thats what you're trying to do. Newsflash - you're not the only one who collects rare pieces of furniture.

Originally posted by MonaDahl
          I'm not particularly knowledgeable about furniture myself so I don't feel I can contribute much to this particular argument, though I did want to point out that the same argument that's popular on this board for condemning knock offs of designer clothing is being used in this case, and I'm not entirely sure that the transfer of subjects works out equivalently. Yes, it is questionable to endorse the appropriation of another's design, but the same kinds of factors don't seem to be at play here. When someone is condemned for endorsing knock offs of designer clothing, its partially because it seems as though they are going the cheap and easy route in order to shallowly appropriate a look and to convey some kind of pretense along with the look. In the case of furniture, however, it seems to me that many people's living spaces are decorated just for their own enjoyment (obviously depending on the level of entertaining that you do). But there's just less of a showing-off factor, and I think that has to be taken into account. If someone who doesn't have the money who does have an appreciation for the aesthetic wants to recreate it in their private or personal space, I'm not sure that I can find much fault in their motivation.
          I agree with this, hence why I didn't say that no one should ever buy a knock off. Like I mentioned I actually have a knock-off office chair myself, because at the time the alternative was something from Ikea for the same price. now I at least got something that looks good, even though the quality is nothing to brag about. And it of course doesn't have the sentimental value to me which an original would have after sourcing it out.

My gripe originally was that when I post a picture I find of a rare, original piece of furniture with beautiful patina and character, I don't appreciate someone following up with advice on how to find a knock-off.
          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• zamb
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by MonaDahl
            To be sure things are getting a bit off topic, but this statement is patently ridiculous, and condescending and insulting too, in this context. Whether or not you have a moral issue with others endorsing knock offs of original design, I think you're all jumping the gun here, especially in this post. It's a discussion for another thread maybe, but I don't think you can waltz into a discussion about the morality of knock offs and declare that there exists one objective reality - maybe getting ahead of yourself here.

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about furniture myself so I don't feel I can contribute much to this particular argument, though I did want to point out that the same argument that's popular on this board for condemning knock offs of designer clothing is being used in this case, and I'm not entirely sure that the transfer of subjects works out equivalently. Yes, it is questionable to endorse the appropriation of another's design, but the same kinds of factors don't seem to be at play here. When someone is condemned for endorsing knock offs of designer clothing, its partially because it seems as though they are going the cheap and easy route in order to shallowly appropriate a look and to convey some kind of pretense along with the look. In the case of furniture, however, it seems to me that many people's living spaces are decorated just for their own enjoyment (obviously depending on the level of entertaining that you do). But there's just less of a showing-off factor, and I think that has to be taken into account. If someone who doesn't have the money who does have an appreciation for the aesthetic wants to recreate it in their private or personal space, I'm not sure that I can find much fault in their motivation.
            the latter part of your statement in defense of people buying knockoff furniture, can also be used to justify buying knockoff clothing..............I am sure if people could walk around with their furniture on their bodies, they would show off just as much with that too.........

Personally I have no problem with people buying knock offs, we are all not wealthy, and to some people Clothing is less important that to others.
            I have been fortunate enough that while not wealthy, my profession affords me to buy a few nice things..........not that I care anyways, I grew up very poor but it was the happiest time of my life. I am just as comfortable in Levis jeans and my $5 a pack family dollar socks as I am in Ann D jacket and Carpe Diem shoes. having a correct sense of priorities allow me the freedom of not giving a damn....................

But since we are at it, I am throwing down the gauntlet now, since you found my statement patently ridiculous and condescending, I would like you to infallibly and logically demonstrate that there is more than one objective reality. and for the record, if we can do this respectfully I would appreciate that, as I have no time for personal attracts and insults.........I am still waiting for the great minds who postulate the absurd postmodern idea of no objective reality to prove it.................

they only need a man with a gun pointing in their direction, to see the objectivity of such a reality.................
            “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
            .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• christianef
              • Feb 2009

friso kramer drafting table is really nice.

i think painted black was just trying to be helpful and mainly point out that there are alternatives if you dont have the patience to waste your entire life trying to win the lottery and find an original of so and so in decent shape. don't see the problem i think you could easily find just as much soul in having better things to do as you will in patina give the kid a break.

Comment

• PaintedBlack_7
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by christianef View Post
                friso kramer drafting table is really nice.

i think painted black was just trying to be helpful and mainly point out that there are alternatives if you dont have the patience to waste your entire life trying to win the lottery and find an original of so and so in decent shape. don't see the problem i think you could easily find just as much soul in having better things to do as you will in patina give the kid a break.
                This is exactly what i was doing, thank you. I don't mean to insult anyone here with any of my posts. Internet arguments or debates are a waste of time, in my opinion.

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                the latter part of your statement in defense of people buying knockoff furniture, can also be used to justify buying knockoff clothing..............I am sure if people could walk around with their furniture on their bodies, they would show off just as much with that too.........

Personally I have no problem with people buying knock offs, we are all not wealthy, and to some people Clothing is less important that to others.
                I have been fortunate enough that while not wealthy, my profession affords me to buy a few nice things..........not that I care anyways, I grew up very poor but it was the happiest time of my life. I am just as comfortable in Levis jeans and my $5 a pack family dollar socks as I am in Ann D jacket and Carpe Diem shoes. having a correct sense of priorities allow me the freedom of not giving a damn....................

But since we are at it, I am throwing down the gauntlet now, since you found my statement patently ridiculous and condescending, I would like you to infallibly and logically demonstrate that there is more than one objective reality. and for the record, if we can do this respectfully I would appreciate that, as I have no time for personal attracts and insults.........I am still waiting for the great minds who postulate the absurd postmodern idea of no objective reality to prove it.................

they only need a man with a gun pointing in their direction, to see the objectivity of such a reality.................
                This is possibly the best post i have read in my short few months here, i agree with every point you have made. Funny thing is i actually wore a Maison Martin Margiela 5 zip and levis today

Comment

• galia
                  • Jun 2009

Zam, you are mistaking empirical experience (gunshot) with objective outlook. There may very well be an objective reality, but since every man has individuality in his way to apprehend the world he lives in, objectivity is not something that any one person can ever fully attain. God yes, man no. But just because we don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Don't oversimplify arguments

Comment

• bestial
                    • Jun 2008

Wallpapers, do you have any? What's your favorites?

I'm redoing all my walls soon, and I'm looking for wallpapers. But I'm having a hard time finding one I really like. Cole & Son have some nice ones, but I find myself only looking at the obvious ones, fornasetti-collection and contemporary II.

the only new one I've found that I kinda like is one from the Eco Studio-collection.

I like it on one level, but there is something that ooze of teenage angst and just sillyness.. but maybe that's a good thing.

I'm going to put the wallpaper on a rather short wall about 200 cm wide, with 270cm from floor to ceiling, so the contemporary II would work well, and maybe give the illusion that the ceiling is even higher.

But it would be sweet with something completely different.

Comment

• PaintedBlack_7
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by bestial View Post
                      Wallpapers, do you have any? What's your favorites?

I'm redoing all my walls soon, and I'm looking for wallpapers. But I'm having a hard time finding one I really like. Cole & Son have some nice ones, but I find myself only looking at the obvious ones, fornasetti-collection and contemporary II.

the only new one I've found that I kinda like is one from the Eco Studio-collection.

I like it on one level, but there is something that ooze of teenage angst and just sillyness.. but maybe that's a good thing.

I'm going to put the wallpaper on a rather short wall about 200 cm wide, with 270cm from floor to ceiling, so the contemporary II would work well, and maybe give the illusion that the ceiling is even higher.

But it would be sweet with something completely different.
                      I'm not too much of a fan of wallpaper, i prefer painting walls or tearing down the drywall and re plastering it if i am not in favor of the texture on the wall. ( i have a compressor and a bunch of tools so i can easil re do it in a day)

but vivenne westwood has a collab out right now.

Luxury Wallpaper and fabric for the home or the office. Interesting and unique designer wallpaper to bring your decor to life.

Comment

• bestial
                        • Jun 2008

yeah, i've seen the vivienne westwood collab, but nothing of interest.

Comment

• galia
                          • Jun 2009

the tree one is kinda cute. the fornassetti would just get old really quick I think, & as for the library one, it's better to have real books

Comment

• bestial
                            • Jun 2008

I actually have the faces framed, they works better that way, and you can hide them when you don't want to see them.

It's actuallt vinyl records on the last one, my record player is broken, so it would be a substitue.

The trees are sweet in other colorways too

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                              • Oct 2010

Do you all know of Wright Auction House in Chicago? Even if you can't afford anything from them, their website is a fantastic resource for learning about important design of the 20th century. They have an archive of items that they've auctioned, original estimates, and ending prices. Importantly, the design goes far beyond Eames, Vitra, or anything you could get at DWR.

A lot of the pieces are site specific -- once upon a time, if you commissioned Mies van der Rohe to design a building, he designed every detail down to the shelving, door knobs and chairs.

Last year Wright held an auction of a number of pieces taken from administrative buildings of the first planned city in India, Chandigarh whose construction involved a number of well-known architects, most notably Le Corbusier.

from Chandigarh:

an example of a Beaubourg chair from the Centre Pompidou:

Anyhow, great learning resource for anyone interested in more than mid-Century (though they have had plenty of that pass through) -- Scandanavian, 60s Italian, up to contemporary French...I tend to think they have the best examples of lighting design anywhere.

If it means anything to you, you'll be able to find not only patina, but history...

Great resource.

MBD
                              "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                              It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                              My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• swami
                                • Jul 2008

Obsessed with Claudy Jongstra lately ...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎