X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mass
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
    Wasn't a fan of Chungking Express and Fallen Angels was even more pretentious. WKW has 2 masterpieces to his belt, no more no less - Days of Being Wild and Happy Together
    agree with your list but ashes of time would also be on mine... although in general wkw is extremely overrated. patrick tam doesn't get enough (any?) love as a director (he is to me one of the top 10 greatest hong kong filmmakers), much less as an editor.

Comment

• Fade to Black
      • Sep 2008

must be something in the British air...two back-to-back downers past 24 hours

The Passenger - can't believe it took me this long to finally sit down and watch this. Probably my favorite Jack Nicholson film, and I liked it better than Blow-Up from Antonioni.

The Man Who Fell to Earth - kind of awkward for me throughout but the poignancy of the ending made it worthwhile. Got the same heavy feeling after watching this that I did after seeing 12 Monkeys as a kid.

clothes on the leading man were great in both
      www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• sam_tem
        • Apr 2007

gummo

i remember hating this movie when i saw it oh so long ago, but it wasn't nearly as bad as i recalled. some good shots, but i couldn't help but think how awesome this movie could've been if it used a storyline of the 2 kids going around hunting cats and using their adventure to portray vignettes of the locals (thinking something like Trans). definitely needed more shots of them riding around town on their busted bikes soundtracked to death metal.

unfortunately it doesn't coalesce into a good movie and i wish there was at least some empathy involved when trying to depict these slightly perverted characters. you can't shake the feeling that it's just a bunch of NYC hipsters making fun of rural america. going to try and do julien donkey-boy tonight whichi expect to be better.

so who here has kids and how strict are you on controlling what they watch? my 10yr old sat through pretty much all of fallen angels (luckily gone during the self-gratulating scenes) which one would be inclined to say is retarded to let a kid watch, but he loved it and it somehow feels rather tame compared to what he picked up at school in his previous years or what he sees on cartoons/video games/youtube these days. i kept kicking him out during gummo, but he kept coming back because all the scenes he saw he thought were hilarious. note, i don't only watch horrible movies with him around, but it's just that he never sticks around when i'm watching my black/white or slower foreign films like red desert the other night.

i love man who to fell to earth, but i just can't begin to grasp how drugged up bowie must have been at that point in his life. i also find passenger to be much better than blow-up, but by that point in his career antonioni had already made his statement and it's hard to hold any of his later movies with much regard. is passenger the movie with that awesome chase scene in the fog though?

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Loved it.

Edit: Didn't realize The Girl Who Played With Fire is out in theaters now. Need to go see that.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

I don't watch anything except children's movies with my daughter.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by sam_tem View Post

i love man who to fell to earth, but i just can't begin to grasp how drugged up bowie must have been at that point in his life. i also find passenger to be much better than blow-up, but by that point in his career antonioni had already made his statement and it's hard to hold any of his later movies with much regard. is passenger the movie with that awesome chase scene in the fog though?
              the passenger is the one with the famous ending zoom shot that seems to go on forever

have read Bowie made that film at the peak of his coke addiction, but he seems quite lucid throughout the whole film, except for near the end. Still I wonder how someone on that many drugs could pull off being filmed like that
              www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• sam_tem
                • Apr 2007

julien donkey boy

i did end up enjoying this more than gummo despite it still having a number of scenes that don't have much relation to the movie, but you can see that he was doing more to tie his experimental tendencies to the storyline. the lack of empathy i had spoken about for gummo was fixed in this movie as we're presented a robotripping father handing down a healthy dose of emotional/psychological issues to his children so we're allowed to ignore whatever slight hangups they may have and julien's disability allows us to divert our penance stare elsewhere over the fact his sister his carrying his baby. i wish the church scene would have come after the ice rink incident though so the movie doesn't just end on a tragic turn of events. would have ended the movie on a nice shot of transcendence and would've helped the church scene actually fit into the movie. always good to see werner herzog on film and it's admirable that he would take on such a project to help promote a young filmmakers talent as well.

thanks fade to black, never seen the fog chase myself so i guess that's why i couldn't recall which movie it was in. looks like it's in Identification of a Woman.

and thanks for rubbing it in faust, it appears to be an age thing maybe. younger parents just don't have the discipline or we were just already raised with a twisted perspective. i recall being able to watch all that stuff like full metal jacket, chainsaw massacres and robocop/terminators when i was around 10 and of course other things that need not be mentioned. anyhow, i have a small place so he's always around and well inducted with adult swim, always sunny in philly and other corruptable shows and has manged it well so far.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

I was merely responding to your question!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• swami
                    • Jul 2008

Girl With a Dragon Tattoo was pretty good.
                    Movies like that still manage to disturb me after all these years, even more so then say MARTYRS which was pretty brutal, I dont know why ...

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

I like it when it's not Hollywood that does these kinds of movies. Hollywood manages to make everything look like, well, Hollywood - polished. I can't wait for them to fuck this one up.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
                        • Sep 2008

apparently David Fincher is behind ^--- this one, with Daniel Craig as the journalist
                        www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                          • Nov 2007

kenneth anger missoni fw10 video

soundtrack is amazing too
                          LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• move_ment
                            • Feb 2009

^agreed, soundtrack is epic. aparently it's by these guys:
                            KOUDLAM's profile including the latest music, albums, songs, music videos and more updates.

edit: the song is called 'Heavy Metal Valley'
                            Last edited by move_ment; 08-04-2010, 12:18 AM.

Comment

• Ivans On High
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              I like it when it's not Hollywood that does these kinds of movies. Hollywood manages to make everything look like, well, Hollywood - polished. I can't wait for them to fuck this one up.
                              'Quarantine' springs to mind, as does 'Let the Right One In'. I saw a preview for the 'remake' of Let the Right One In and it looked like, well, a Hollywood remake of the original.

I've never understood the point of remaking a film etc. if you are not going to add anything to the original.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                                • Sep 2008

Just saw Gainsbourg... it started off charming enough at the beginning, got kind of messy and sad by the end.
                                www.matthewhk.net

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎