X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

Watched 12, yesterday - a Russian remake of 12 Angry Men - which was nominated for this year's Oscar's. I thought it was Ok - not outstanding, but solid. The unraveling of the juror's characters was far more fascinating then their own investigation, which was pretty facile. Disclaimer: I haven't seen the original.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
      • Oct 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

Just finished Crumb, the Robert Crumb documentary, unsurprisingly. Really great. I would have loved to have seen more of him drawing and less of a few of the talking heads / more drawn-out and less relevant interviews, but I can understand the decision to concentrate on Crumb and his family as people. Held the interest of my friend as a result, who has no idea who Crumb was or had any experience with his work, and yet mind at the same time (myself being far more familiar with Crumb).</p>
      WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="Jun"]wonder if My Blueberry Nights will be showing in the states anytime soon...[/quote]</p>

I can make you a DVD, if you want.</p>

[/quote]</p>

Never mind. Turns out the movie has this horrible Russian dubbing. Ugh, it's 2007, can't they hire someone decent to dub? I'll see if I can find an English version.</p>
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="Jun"]wonder if My Blueberry Nights will be showing in the states anytime soon...[/quote]</p>

I can make you a DVD, if you want.</p>

[/quote]</p>

Never mind. Turns out the movie has this horrible Russian dubbing. Ugh, it's 2007, can't they hire someone decent to dub? I'll see if I can find an English version.</p>

[/quote]</p>

Ok, got the movie without the dubbing, so the offer still stands.</p>

I watched it yesterday. I don't think you will like it, if you are a hardcore Wong Kar-Wai fan (I am not). It's a feel-good movie, which you don't expect from him. It ain't In the Mood for Love, I can tell you that. There is no complexity in it, no extremely attenuated display of emotions, as one sees there (and that's what really made me fall in love with In the Mood for Love). It's very disjointed, and too facile - you feel left a bit cheated at the end. The cinematography is still there, and so is the melancholic (in a good sense of the word) music. It's a definite let down, UNLESS you are looking for a well executed feel-good movie - it is still infinitely better than most Hollywood stuff.
          </p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
            • Aug 2007

[quote user="nycd"]I just watched La Jetée again - can't count the number of times I've watched this now.

</p>
            All directors should be required to make a film entirely from stills. To be fair, they get one short shot with motion - as in this film.

</p>

But just one.[/quote]</p>

</p>

did you see last nights LOST episode. straight out of LA Jetee time travel criss crossing worlds. that show is f'ing unbelieveable. </p>
            One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• nycd
              • Oct 2006

weird - i just demanded that a friend - who never watches television - watch that episode for this very reason

[quote user="philip nod"]

</p>

did you see last nights LOST episode. straight out of LA Jetee time travel criss crossing worlds. that show is f'ing unbelieveable. </p>[/quote]

Comment

• philip nod
                • Aug 2007

[quote user="nycd"]weird - i just demanded that a friend - who never watches television - watch that episode for this very reason

</p>
                [quote user="philip nod"]

</p>

did you see last nights LOST episode. straight out of LA Jetee time travel criss crossing worlds. that show is f'ing unbelieveable. </p>

[/quote][/quote]</p>

</p>

see MA+ thread for today</p>
                One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• kira
                  • Mar 2008

[quote user="nycd"]weird - i just demanded that a friend - who never watches television - watch that episode for this very reason

</p>[quote user="philip nod"]

</p>

[/quote][/quote]</p>

</p>

agreed. quite possibly one of the shows best episodes to date. my favorite show to watch on TV. have not seen LA Jetee, but seems a must now. </p>
                  Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• Servo2000
                    • Oct 2006

I've been feeling a bit shit lately so I've been watching some "cinematic comfort food," which recently has been The Triplets of Belleville and Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie along with some re-runs of the show.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Why are you down, Servo?</p>

pnod, downloaded 4 months... will be watching shortly.</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                        • Sep 2006

I'm 40 mins into Stalker, I nearly hyperventilated when the images switched to colour, truly a joy to watch (so far).
                        Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Servo2000
                          • Oct 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]I'm 40 mins into Stalker, I nearly hyperventilated when the images switched to colour, truly a joy to watch (so far).[/quote]

</p>

I distinctly remember making a noise that was sort of a cross between sucking air in between my teeth and gasping at that part.
                          </p>

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]I'm 40 mins into Stalker, I nearly hyperventilated when the images switched to colour, truly a joy to watch (so far).[/quote]</p>

Sometimes I wish you spoke Russian.</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="Fuuma"]I'm 40 mins into Stalker, I nearly hyperventilated when the images switched to colour, truly a joy to watch (so far).[/quote]</P>

Sometimes I wish you spoke Russian.</P>

[/quote]</P>

<SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">Me? Or is this a quote from the film I missed? I used to be able to say "those are girls" or "this is a butcher" or "that's my house" or that kind of thing but the Cyrillic alphabet cut my learning short (that thing is beautifully graphic but oh so complicated).<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">Watching Stalker was a great experience as the images are gorgeous and the themes, as opaque as they seem to me right now, did resonate in a profound but still mysterious way with my sensibilities. I really loved the shot, near the ending, of the wall full of books in the Stalker apartment, which wasn't shown before and manages to paint the protagonist in a totally different way we used to perceive him, especially contrasted with the opinion on the two "intellectuals" he is expounding on at that point. I wouldn'treally call the movie logical in a down to earth sense as he really is looking for a transcendental experience, making him a very Bergman-like filmmaker, from my point of view. Another simple thing I liked about the film is that the main characters weren?t teenagers or Tom Cruise-like adults in their appearance and preoccupations, something that is a rarity with science-fiction films.</SPAN></P><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">

<SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">After that I watched Wassup rockers by the great pedophile photographer Larry Clark, it was ok. The opening was pure </SPAN><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><st1:place>Clark</SPAN></st1:place></st1:place><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US"> with half-naked teenage boys waking up and languorously getting ready for school. He?s a much better photographer than filmmaker so I?m not sure why I bother, maybe because he doesn?t paint a sweetened portrait of teenage lust.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">Next movies by Tarkovski: Nostalgia, Andrei Rublev<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">I gave Lust, Caution a chance and wasn't disappointed, not a superb film by any means but quite good.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">Spoiler warning!!!!</SPAN><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">The ending was irremediably bleak, not due to her dying but because the sole survivor of the relationship was the one that had no prospect of mentally handling it without becoming an entirely empty shell. In the end, they?re both corpses but one is still breathing. He had too much at stake in the relationship, as it was the only way for him to express his nature in complete trust.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">End of spoiler!!!!!</SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
                              Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                              http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Yes, you, Fuuma. Because than nothing would get lost in translation.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎