Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Staton Viguier
    • Jan 2008

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

just bought the Herzog / Kinski boxset so i've been working my way through that. Just watched Aguirre again.. such an amazing performance by kinski. about to watch Cobra Verde

Comment

• Fuuma
      • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

Saw the Dawkins doc "root of all evil", about the problematic presence of religion as a counterforce to rationality. It was ok I guess but since I'm an atheist that only knows atheists (there might be some people I interract with to whom I'm not close enough to know about their religious affiliations) so he was preaching to the converted and the ideas conveyed were relatively basic. The whole idea of human beings acting rationally and of essential values to be preserved also runs counter to my personal views on these matters but I kinda like humanists anyway.</P>
      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]

Saw the Dawkins doc "root of all evil", about the problematic presence of religion as a counterforce to rationality. It was ok I guess but since I'm an atheist that only knows atheists (there might be some people I interract with to whom I'm not close enough to know about their religious affiliations) so he was preaching to the converted and the ideas conveyed were relatively basic. The whole idea of human beings acting rationally and of essential values to be preserved also runs counter to my personal views on these matters but I kinda like humanists anyway.</p>

[/quote]</p>

I experience the same cultural shock every time something like that comes up. To me, all these religious debates at high levels of society and culture is like being thrown back 150 years.
        </p>
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Watched 2001: Space Odyssey in HD the other day. Absolutely incredible that Kubrick could've achieved such level of cinematography in 1968. IMHO it blows Star Wars out of the water given the date. Just amazing. I need to reread the book to understand what the hell happened in the end. I read it 12 years ago or so, but still have it on my shelf.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="Fuuma"]

Saw the Dawkins doc "root of all evil", about the problematic presence of religion as a counterforce to rationality. It was ok I guess but since I'm an atheist that only knows atheists (there might be some people I interract with to whom I'm not close enough to know about their religious affiliations) so he was preaching to the converted and the ideas conveyed were relatively basic. The whole idea of human beings acting rationally and of essential values to be preserved also runs counter to my personal views on these matters but I kinda like humanists anyway.</P>

[/quote]</P>

I experience the same cultural shock every time something like that comes up. To me, all these religious debates at high levels of society and culture is like being thrown back 150 years.
            </P>

[/quote]</P>

Indeed. The book (The god delusion) is supposedly pretty good but I'm not sure I want to readhundreds of pages on how harmful uncritical thinking can be and why god doesn't exist, I'm already sold on both ideas...</P>
            <P mce_keep="true"></P>

How's HD treating you? I should purchase a nice player to view movies in HD but haven't really begun looking yet. I'd ideally want it to play dvds from all regions, convert pal signal (probably already does since its HDMI) and do the same for blue-ray (it's the one that won, right?).</P>

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

I love HD - it's a truly awesome cinematic experience that makes you concentrate more on the actual picture as well as the content (and sometimes more than the content - I won't lie, I've watched some absolutely idiotic movies that looked really amazing). Blu-Ray won, but I would refrain from buying players until the end of the year - it's not a finished standard, and the players are expensive. Meanwhile I would absolutely recommend to you the OPPO upconverting DVD player - twice as cheap, upconverts all standard content to 1080p better than any HD player, and will play anything you throw at it (PAL, DivX, SACD, DVD-audio, you name it). I have it and love it. Of course it does not play HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. They are working on their own Blu-Ray player, I'm holding out for that. What TV do you have?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]I love HD - it's a truly awesome cinematic experience that makes you concentrate more on the actual picture as well as the content (and sometimes more than the content - I won't lie, I've watched some absolutely idiotic movies that looked really amazing). Blu-Ray won, but I would refrain from buying players until the end of the year - it's not a finished standard, and the players are expensive. Meanwhile I would absolutely recommend to you the OPPO upconverting DVD player - twice as cheap, upconverts all standard content to 1080p better than any HD player, and will play anything you throw at it (PAL, DivX, SACD, DVD-audio, you name it). I have it and love it. Of course it does not play HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. They are working on their own Blu-Ray player, I'm holding out for that. What TV do you have?
                [/quote]</P>

I have a full HD flat screen (Samsung) so its just a matter of getting the right player. I might get an OPPO and wait until year's end.</P>

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Yep, should be cheap as chips for you if you get it in the US (from what I understand, electronics are considerably more expensive in Canada)?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

In general yes, it usuallygoes like this Europe&gt;Canada&gt;USA. I just have to validate the OPPO is also region free or can be modified to be.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]In general yes, it usuallygoes like this Europe&gt;Canada&gt;USA. I just have to validate the OPPO is also region free or can be modified to be.[/quote]</p>

It's region free. I play Russian DVDs (from Russia) on it without any problems.</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kira
                        • Mar 2008

LOST. I always finish that show not knowing what to say but wow. I absolutely love it, such a mind game. The writing is impeccable and intricate.
                        Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• philip nod
                          • Aug 2007

thought this was was a total bore / let down after the astonishing desmond time travel one last week
                          One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• kira
                            • Mar 2008

I just really appreciate what is left unsaid. No, not nearly as good as last week, completely agree. But I enjoy the contemplation after it ends and the curiosity of what is to come. Nice for television to do that sometimes.
                            Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

A.O.Scott called 10k B.C. "dunderheaded" I almost fell out of my chair [86] He is the best film critic ever (granted I don't know many).

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
                                • Oct 2006

[quote user="Faust"]A.O.Scott called 10k B.C. "dunderheaded" I almost fell out of my chair [86] He is the best film critic ever (granted I don't know many).
                                [/quote]</p>

I'll probably have to sneak in before one of those showing to catch the purported new Batman trailer, a movie which I could not be more obsessed with.
                                </p>
                                WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎