X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    You'd have to know how to read Finnish She is publishing a distillation of it in English - I will let you know once it comes out.

I do like vegetarian/vegan food when it's well done. Alas, I don't find many places that do it well.
    A couple of months late but to comment...

Maybe a bias but I've found that Chinese/asian vegetarian (and actually very often vegan) dishes to be delicious. So good that I don't even miss the meat. I have yet to have a good non-asian vegetarian meal where I didn't feel like I was a farm animal grazing on salads and quinoa.
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Go to Blossom next time you are in New York. I also don't miss the meat when vegetarian food is well done.

Went to Pure Food and Wine (raw food restaurant) a few days ago, on a roundabout Macro's recommendation, and liked that too. Uncontrollably giggled thinking that they probably don't have an oven in the kitchen.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ahimsa
        Vegan Police
        • Sep 2011

^Probably blenders/food processors and dehydrators everywhere. I can imagine a food inspector walking in and just thinking "what sorcery is this?" I feel like their appetizers/desserts kind of outshine the main entrée though.

Crowzer indeed :(

Rilu nice bag! The zipper color kinda reminds me of human skin though O.O
        StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Ahimsa
          Vegan Police
          • Sep 2011

New Honest by collection! Also, Stella McCartney lingerie?!

Comment

• fncyths
            • Apr 2010

Hangawi is my favorite vegetarian restaurant in New York.

M Cafe is my favorite spot in LA so far. I live near tons of vegan places so I'll be sure to check those out as well. I have no culinary restrictions so I'm open to everything!
            Originally posted by Shucks
            it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
            Originally posted by interest1
            I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

I had a very subpar experience at Hangawi - mind you, it was a cheaper lunch option, but still. The food was just Ok, and it was full of those disgusting ladies who lunch. I wanted to kill them all. Not a zen experience at all.

And why we talking about this here?
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• fncyths
                • Apr 2010

/ \

That's unfortunate. Totally know that lady lunch crowd - blec.

I've only been for dinner and everytime has been a great experience.

Back on topic...

For those looking for great Vegan bags I've had the Kravitz duffle for a few years now.

Matt & Nat

Originally posted by Shucks
                it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                Originally posted by interest1
                I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• zamb
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post

I do like vegetarian/vegan food when it's well done. Alas, I don't find many places that do it well.
                  Hire a Rastafarian chef and your life would never be the same.....
                  I have a friend who is very good at this, the Rastas call it "Ital" cooking
                  and with all the sustainable, vegan/ vegetarian movement in society today, they were some of the biggest proponents of this kind of lifestyle in Jamaica.
                  if they could get their acts together and present something that is Polished, sophisticated and presentable this could be good for them especially in Cities like NYC and LA.
                  “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                  .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• zamb
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by rilu
                    ^ indeed, there's been a lot of discussion on sweatshops in this thread and elsewhere, so it's not the wrong place to bring it up in any case :)

looking for a sweatshop-free bag for this summer (though i still wear the one tomatous made for me constantly :) i came across this basket in an Etsy shop by Jeanie Deans, and thought a bag of a similar look would be nice. I wrote her and she made me a beautiful bag, of organic linen and cotton, and and dip-dyed in natural indigo:
                    and here it's how it looks when worn:

Rilu, I like the bag, my only drawback is i wish it were metal Zippers in there rather than the plastic ones.............

I am not too big a proponent of Sustainable fashion, but i have a project in the works now that will make you dance.......I will PM you about it soon :-)

Comment

• Ahimsa
                      Vegan Police
                      • Sep 2011

^Didn't you mention once that you use a more sustainable dye because you preferred it purely for aesthetic reasons? (correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm hoping designers such as yourself can be lured into using more sustainable practices simply through new innovative materials or the quality thereof.
                      Quite a lot of designers are even using Modal now, which I'm assuming is mostly because of the drape and feel.

Comment

• zamb
                        • Nov 2006

yes I do use a more sustainable dye

and I think the structure of my business, both in principle and to a large extent of practice, would be closer to what is considered sustainable than not, but I am not a purist when it comes to those things.

For example, I have a principle of using natural fibers, like silks, linens, cottons and woolens, but if I find something that is Poly/ Nylon or whatever that suits my aesthetic needs or is so visually arresting that i am drawn in by it, I wont exclude it from my use because its not a natural fiber........... I think most other sustainable businesses may not be so flexible.

Anyways, the project I said I would PM Rilu about is my experimentation into Zero Waste. there are several pieces from the SS13 Collection where we used the fabric remains that are usually thrown away to create a few pieces for the collection. I liked it very much and we are considering making it into an expanded full time project with a life of its own. No decision has been made as yet but its something we are heavily considering.

I dont want to discuss it too much here, but will cross post in my Dialogue thread if you want further discussions, as I prefer to discuss my work in the threads designated to do that..........

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
                        ^Didn't you mention once that you use a more sustainable dye because you preferred it purely for aesthetic reasons? (correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm hoping designers such as yourself can be lured into using more sustainable practices simply through new innovative materials or the quality thereof.
                        Quite a lot of designers are even using Modal now, which I'm assuming is mostly because of the drape and feel.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                          Vegan Police
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                          I liked it very much and we are considering making it into an expanded full time project with a life of its own. No decision has been made as yet but its something we are heavily considering.

I dont want to discuss it too much here, but will cross post in my Dialogue thread if you want further discussions, as I prefer to discuss my work in the threads designated to do that..........
                          That'd be really awesome if you do end up doing it. I'd also be interested to know how vegan friendly they'd be...for obvious reasons lol. Vegans are seriously lacking in the menswear and bag department.

Please do cross post in the Dialogue though...as a fashion student I'd be especially interested to learn about any insight you might have on the process as well as the product of such.

Comment

• howhighthemoon
                            • Dec 2010

awesome zamb! I'll make sure to check the dialogue thread.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Have we talked about zero-waste design? A practice where all of the fabric is used in making of a pattern? On average, 15 to 20% of fabric is discarded when making a conventional pattern, resulting in countless tons of landfill waste.

One of the pioneer's is Timo Rissanen. His blog is here.
                              New York Times article here.
                              Sweatshop-in-shop installation, part of the current exhibit in Helsinki. he set up a workstation where a person will make you a traditional tshirt, model after H&M and sell it to you for 5 euros. The catch - you also get the 15% of fabric waste produced in making of the shirt to take with you and to dispose of it as you wish. A fantastic concept.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

You are welcome, Rilu.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎