Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kuugaia
    • Feb 2010

I keep reading this thread but never really post anything, however the bamboo discussion got me very intrigued. I was reading on wiki about the various benefits of bamboo, and it really has got me thinking: why aren't more people using bamboo? If there was somebody more knowledgeable in this area, please chime in. But this is what was on Wiki that may interest others:

Source of raw material
    Most of the bamboo used to make bamboo fibre and bamboo clothing is grown in China by Hebei Jigao Chemical Fiber Company [8] They hold the patent on the process for turning bamboo into fibre. This facility produces all of the bamboo viscose on the market. The bamboo is certified organic by OCIA (The Organic Crop Improvement Association) [9] To strictly control the quality of raw material, Hebei Jigao Chemical Fiber Company has built its own bamboo plantation in Sichuan Province, China, and keeps strict control over it. The bamboo is grown in accordance to the international organic standard of OCIA/IFOAM and the USDA National Organic Program, so as to ensure each bamboo stalk is of 100% natural growth and without any chemical pesticides. The proof of the ecologically sound methods behind bamboo production is the fact that all of the fibre produced at the facility in China is Oeko-Tex 100 certified [10] This certifies that the finished fibre has been tested for any chemicals that may be harmful to a person’s health and has been found to contain no trace chemicals that pose any health threat whatsoever. This means that every company working with bamboo starts with the same raw material and that this material is not contaminated.
    Alternative manufacturing processes
    The Swiss company Litrax [6] is one company involved in the manufacturing of bamboo fibre. Litrax claims to use a more natural way of processing the bamboo into fibre. In this the woody part of the bamboo is crushed mechanically before a natural enzyme retting and washing process is used to break down the walls and extract the bamboo fibre. This bast fibre is then spun into yarn.[7] In fine counts the yarn has a silky touch[citation needed]. The same manufacturing process is used to produce linen fabric from flax or hemp. Bamboo fabric made from this process is sometimes called bamboo linen. The natural processing of litrax bamboo allows the fibre to remain strong to produce an extremely high quality product. This process gives a material that is very durable.
    ^ If I'm interpreting this correctly, that would mean that bamboo is indeed another natural fabric on the market just like cotton, linen, wool, etc.

Harvesting
    Once a new shoot emerges from the ground, the new cane will reach its full height in just 8–10 weeks. Each cane reaches maturity in 3–5 years. Bamboo can be continually re-harvested with no damage to the surrounding environment.[citation needed] It is a grass and so regenerates after being cut just like a lawn without the need for replanting. This regular harvesting is actually of benefit to the health of the plant – studies have shown that felling of canes leads to vigorous re-growth and an increase in the amount of biomass the next year
    However when you do a quick search on the 'benefits' of bamboo fabric, you will see that much of the information available online is misguided. Raw-untreated bamboo fabric is not anti-bacterial and offers no UV-protection. This article however shows that there has been success in the treatment of raw bamboo fabric to become more anti-bacterial and offer safe UV protection.

Comment

• fadetogrey
      • Apr 2009

clicked on this thread on a whim, but I do have a bit of experience working with sustainable fabrics and also with companies using sustainable fibers.

What I have heard from companies that are very focused on sustainable eco-friendly fabric development, on why they don't use bamboo, it is because they say while bamboo is sustainable in that it grows very quickly, needing no fertilizers or very little water, it does need a lot of processing to make it into a soft useable fabric. This processing includes a lot of harmful chemicals that outweigh any eco-friendlyness of the fabric. There are also other ecological concerns such as the depletion of natural bamboo animal habitats, and clear-cutting forests to make way for bamboo plantations.

Apparently most of the lovely silky and soft bamboo fabrics in the market are actually closer to rayon, which uses the cellulose dissolved in a chemical solution and then sent through a spinneret like any other synthetic.

Comment

• kuugaia
        • Feb 2010

^ Cheers for the input fadetogrey, it seems most of what you say is indeed correct - according to this article anyway. Page 3-5 are most useful, as 1-2 is more of an intro and about bamboo flooring.

So all this information (including from the previous pages) to my understanding means that bamboo fabric isn't widely adopted due to the Hebei Jigao Chemical Fiber Company having a patent on the production of bamboo viscose. And it would seem that they currently do not incorporate a 'closed-loop' process in their production that would produce a much cleaner product. What a shame.

Clean rayon production is possible: Austrian company Lenzing, which makes a type of rayon fabric from wood pulp, uses a “closed loop” process that recycles essentially all the required chemicals. Pickering, who visited Hebei Jigao in 2008, says the factory does have a sophisticated wastewater treatment system, but a closed-loop process would require an entirely new facility—an enormous investment that she says Chinese companies are not yet willing or able to make.
        Last edited by kuugaia; 12-06-2011, 03:13 AM.

Comment

• Ahimsa
          Vegan Police
          • Sep 2011

Tyvek wallet by Nico

Don't ask me how it found its way onto thediscerningbrute
          StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Skye X
            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
            Tyvek wallet by Nico

Don't ask me how it found its way onto thediscerningbrute
            That's a pretty awesome wallet.

Here are some good resources linked from one of my favorite sustainiable fabric retailers: http://www.nearseanaturals.com/index.php?page=links

Comment

• Skye X
              • Oct 2010

And, from the same place, an explanation of why they don't carry bamboo:

Comment

• Ahimsa
                Vegan Police
                • Sep 2011

Norwegian Rain

They use recycled Japanese fabrics, organic cotton, wool...Unfortunately all of their buttons are horn, and they use cashmere as lining for their detachable collars.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                  Vegan Police
                  • Sep 2011

On a very similar note to Skye X's posts, I give you Source4Style.

A sustainable fabric/textile network.

"Through the Source4Style marketplace, designers can discover the latest, most innovative and carefully-curated selection of materials.

Allow our comprehensive search tools guide your journey or check out our Design Lab and Curations for some of our latest finds.

When you discover that material which piques your interest, request a sample to be sent directly to your home or office. And if you’d like to place an order for
                  production, we can help with that too. Members of Source4Style can place orders directly with our network of suppliers and access direct-from-the-source pricing. No wire transfers. No fees. And no commissions."

There is so much more to it than that, but seriously, check it out.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                    Vegan Police
                    • Sep 2011

From Source4Style, a list of the top 10 Eco/Sustainable fashion universities.

The London College of Fashion now offers a MA in Fashion and the Environment.

Comment

• Patroklus
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2011

$4 a yard for this?
                      i could kiss you bro

Comment

• Patroklus
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2011

at that price i'm going to buy it all and go into business. do you want a t-shirt?
                        I just realized that they sell memberships to buy their stuff. Fuckers.

Comment

• kuugaia
                          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Skye X View Post
                          Here are some good resources linked from one of my favorite sustainiable fabric retailers: http://www.nearseanaturals.com/index.php?page=links
                          Isn't that such a damn shame though? Although I respect and understand the reasoning for patenting inventions and technology, this is just a damn shame. Sigh.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                            Vegan Police
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
                            at that price i'm going to buy it all and go into business. do you want a t-shirt?
                            I just realized that they sell memberships to buy their stuff. Fuckers.
                            If it helps at all, they give codes for like $50 off the annual membership if you sign up for the newsletter. I know, I know...clever ploy.
                            Though I think I have one sitting in my inbox right now actually...

Comment

• Skye X
                              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by kuugaia View Post
                              Isn't that such a damn shame though? Although I respect and understand the reasoning for patenting inventions and technology, this is just a damn shame. Sigh.
                              Which part is a shame?

Comment

• Ahimsa
                                Vegan Police
                                • Sep 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢