X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ahimsa
    Vegan Police
    • Sep 2011

Thanks for sharing these resources and info on it. After reading that the designer basically had to relearn how to design, I kinda want to make an independent study out of it while I have the chance because that sounds really daunting. It's a shame that that Parsons class is just jeans =/
    StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

My gf just took a zero-waste design workshop and they had pattern making professors quit on the spot because of how difficult it was. But it's doable. So, do it!
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        My gf just took a zero-waste design workshop and they had pattern making professors quit on the spot because of how difficult it was. But it's doable. So, do it!
        Well, I must credit your other half to an extent for my forays into zero waste, its an idea that I've always held in my head, but never given much thought before have numerous conversations with her about the subject matter,.............however my approach is rather different, its more about finding uses fro what remains rather than approaching it from a "front end" stanpoint

I think trying to cut ones patterns in such a way as to make use of all of the fabric is a very good thing, but there are limitations which can sometimes make the designs uninteresting......

In the Spring 2013 collection, there are two items which can be seen, here.............

What we did was to create from the remaining fabric of the other garments, a kind of "Patchwork" that was used to create different parts for these garments...............the success of the items in the showroom was very good, and i really liked the experiment that this will become a project entirely apart from the mainline.

Another interesting project we have worked on is making labels from the small leather scraps that are left from the jackets and the bags..............since we dont make small leather goods, a significant portion of this was thrown away, now we dont throw it away anymore the scraps given to a friend who makes small leather goods, we are also giving them to a company in the building that makes iPhone cases, which is the same company making our labels from the leather scraps with a laser cutting machine.
        This can also be an important part of the Zero waste project. Instead of simply throwing the remaining fabric, materials away, giving them to companies, organizations/ schools that may be able to find alternative uses for them rather than dumping them into landfills..............one mans waste is another mans treasure!
        “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by zamb View Post
          Well, I must credit your other half to an extent for my forays into zero waste, its an idea that I've always held in my head, but never given much thought before have numerous conversations with her about the subject matter,.............however my approach is rather different, its more about finding uses fro what remains rather than approaching it from a "front end" stanpoint

I think trying to cut ones patterns in such a way as to make use of all of the fabric is a very good thing, but there are limitations which can sometimes make the designs uninteresting......

In the Spring 2013 collection, there are two items which can be seen, here.............

What we did was to create from the remaining fabric of the other garments, a kind of "Patchwork" that was used to create different parts for these garments...............the success of the items in the showroom was very good, and i really liked the experiment that this will become a project entirely apart from the mainline.

Another interesting project we have worked on is making labels from the small leather scraps that are left from the jackets and the bags..............since we dont make small leather goods, a significant portion of this was thrown away, now we dont throw it away anymore the scraps given to a friend who makes small leather goods, we are also giving them to a company in the building that makes iPhone cases, which is the same company making our labels from the leather scraps with a laser cutting machine.
          This can also be an important part of the Zero waste project. Instead of simply throwing the remaining fabric, materials away, giving them to companies, organizations/ schools that may be able to find alternative uses for them rather than dumping them into landfills..............one mans waste is another mans treasure!

The rework/reuse concept is a really lovely one and one that I am as well working on with Japanese boro comforter covers as a guideline/inspiration. The execution of the reusing by Luca in his encaged scraps coat is by far my favorite... something that looks awesome and uses existing materials without looking like it has worked hard at it. Certainly a stand out example of this realm.
          www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Ahimsa
            Vegan Police
            • Sep 2011

Rilu!
            "Sydney Brown is a directional, luxury footwear label, which offers a unique combination of dynamic design and ethical and sustainable production. Sydney Brown, an American-born designer, founded her eponymous label due to her conviction that luxury could be produced in an environmentally friendly way.

Taking a holistic approach to design, Sydney Brown espouses respect for the environment and the wearer without compromising on style. This approach translates into production by carefully selected, family-run, local factories. Handmade by artisans in the UK and Portugal, the consciously constructed shoes are free of animal products and use eco-friendly materials such as coconut insoles, recycled and sustainable uppers, and wooden soles, aiming to create every pair of shoes with a ‘cradle to cradle’ life cycle.

Sydney Brown’s aesthetic is pared down and understated with the focus on sculptural lines and unusual detailing. She is deeply inspired by her ten years of living and working in Japan, where she honed her design skills and adopted the Japanese aesthetic for beautiful and innovative materials over embellishment. This, coupled with her passion and understanding of the craft of shoemaking, has led to a unique alchemy resulting in the creation of a highly luxurious and edgy new collection."

Comment

• Ahimsa
              Vegan Police
              • Sep 2011

Yohji Yamamoto on Sustainability

"When fabric is left to age for a year or two, it naturally contracts, and at this point it reveals its charm. The threads have a life of their own, they pass through the seasons and mature. It is only through this process that the true appeal of the fabric is revealed. In releasing one collection after the next on a six-month cycle, it is impossible to design clothing from fabric that has been allowed to age. The intense jealousy I occasionally feel towards used clothing comes from this fact. It was in just such a moment that I thought, "I would like to design time itself".

Human beings, whether young or old, have an innate desire to be understood; they build things and they speak in order to make their presence known. In this sense my work might be considered the epitome of some gaudy attempt to attract attention... [In] terms of a reaction to the growing environmental crisis, I felt that screaming out for ecological solutions and volunteer work would not be nearly as effective as the complete disposal of all man-made edifices, all cobbled-together explanations, and all the mountains of garbage. Or, to take it one step further, it seemed the best thing one could do for the sake of the earth would be to die on the spot. Though they pour toxic waste into the rivers, humans will only pay attention to it on the day the dead fish rise to the surface."

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
                Yohji Yamamoto on Sustainability

"When fabric is left to age for a year or two, it naturally contracts, and at this point it reveals its charm. The threads have a life of their own, they pass through the seasons and mature. It is only through this process that the true appeal of the fabric is revealed. In releasing one collection after the next on a six-month cycle, it is impossible to design clothing from fabric that has been allowed to age. The intense jealousy I occasionally feel towards used clothing comes from this fact. It was in just such a moment that I thought, "I would like to design time itself".

Human beings, whether young or old, have an innate desire to be understood; they build things and they speak in order to make their presence known. In this sense my work might be considered the epitome of some gaudy attempt to attract attention... [In] terms of a reaction to the growing environmental crisis, I felt that screaming out for ecological solutions and volunteer work would not be nearly as effective as the complete disposal of all man-made edifices, all cobbled-together explanations, and all the mountains of garbage. Or, to take it one step further, it seemed the best thing one could do for the sake of the earth would be to die on the spot. Though they pour toxic waste into the rivers, humans will only pay attention to it on the day the dead fish rise to the surface."
                Raison d'etre of this place.

Thanks for this - eloquently put, as usual.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ahimsa
                  Vegan Police
                  • Sep 2011

The book is also going to talk about Chalayan, Miyake, and van Noten =D
                  Found this on amazon previews:

Comment

• #ruin
                    • Jul 2011

those dresses get me every time, absolutely incredible.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Accountability in the clothing chain remains elusive

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ahimsa
                        Vegan Police
                        • Sep 2011

"FREEDOM OF ANIMALS is a sustainable and cruelty-free luxury bag line. Our products are made with the highest quality materials to create sleek, versatile and sophisticated pieces that are an eco-friendly choice in the luxury accessories market.

Freedom of Animals use high quality, luxurious fabrics and materials that are comprised of post-consumer polyurethane and organic cotton. Our processes strictly follow EPA guidelines, to ensure an eco-friendly product. Our bags look and feel as soft as leather, but through years of research, we have found a more sustainable fabrication to take its place.

Polyurethane is a safer alternative to PVC as it doesn’t emit carcinogenic dioxin, nor is it filled with harsh chemicals. A percentage of the polyurethane is recycled which also allows for a lower carbon footprint.

Furthermore, the process to finish these fabrics requires 70% less energy than other synthetic fabrics, and the beautifully rich colors are achieved from vegetable-based dyes that are also recycled.

All of our bags are lined with organic cotton and plastic water bottle lining, and our zippers are recycled metals on organic twill tape from a luxury Italian zipper mill.

From concept to completion, every Freedom of Animals product strictly adheres to ethical standards. We insist on the highest quality materials to create our distinctive style, without compromising on the environment."

Made in the USA

Comment

• mrbeuys
                          • May 2008

Might have been posted before and nothing we have not discussed before, but it did get the John Oliver treatment which is good

Trendy clothes are cheaper than ever. That sounds great for the people who buy them, but it's horrible for the people who make them. Connect with Last Week T...
                          Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• SafetyKat
                            • Aug 2014

^ The "variations of plaid button-up shirts for the rest of my life" bit may have hit little too close to home. Especially so if I were still in my high school teenage years... I was wearing the style ironically I swear

Seriously though, I think one of the most contributing factors in fast fashion's continuity comes from the willingness to forget the faults of an industry. Especially when one is faced with an overwhelmingly amount of convenience.

Comment

• Extreme Mildness
                              • Jan 2015

On a similar note, here's an article about Patagonia's efforts to clean up their supply chain, especially past the first tier. With most talk still centering on the factories that assemble the finished product, it's worrying to see that there's a lot more to be done after that. Even the Fair Labor Association doesn't have a clear insight into the situation at earlier stages of the supply chain.

Comment

• SafetyKat
                                • Aug 2014

http://www.fastcompany.com/3046767/i...ice-ztailors#8

To compliment the article from Extreme Mildness, I thought I would share a movement focusing on the other side of the industry; the consumer.
                                This article introduces the upcoming "Ztailors" platform and its potential effects on the sustainability of the individual wardrobe.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎