Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trentk
    • Oct 2010

atelier's recent blogpost made me wonder..... would this make it through airport security?
    "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• comex9
      • Jan 2009

During my last visit to Atelier, I questioned Poell's use of titanium in his most recent collection, as it may seem to be a way to justify increased pricing. For example, the use of titanium in my golf clubs, which caused for an increase in price. of course, the golfing community justified this by better preformance, which is more psychological in my understanding. Why not use a less expensive metal.

I joked with the sales staff that I should just buy some steal tipped shoes and cut some holes in the toe. I don't question Poell's artistic direction and do not understand his philosophy regarding the particular metal he uses, but it does make me question his underlying marketing direction. I could bring out my old doc martins with metal tips, lol.

Hey Eton, Handy manny would stick a hot poker in fireman sam's... any day of the week! are we still talking about kid shows, lol.

Comment

• magic
        • Feb 2009

he chose to use in titanium was quite clear to me as this material were light and strong.
        Focusing on object details

Comment

• comex9
          • Jan 2009

You are correct and not at the same time... As a watch connoisseur, I've met many who love and hate titanium in the watch community. As with any metal it as its pluses and minuses. I am more of a 316L stainless steel fan. Titanium is a very gray dull metal that is more malleable, but scratches differently and I hate the light weight factor. It's not necessarily strong but more malleable, as there are no good knives made of titanium. I think it's more a question personal taste, but I wish Poell went more old school, as steel is the why to go, in my opinion. You can easily reseach the differences....

Comment

• magic
            • Feb 2009

do you mean its not strong because it scratches more easily than SS? titanium wont get much bend/dent than SS and that is the reason why i believe he chose to use; i am comparing with a same ratio/object of same materials.

i cant imagine wearing a 5kg jacket walking around^
            Focusing on object details

Comment

• zamb
              • Nov 2006

i think he used if because there seem to be in the collection
              some reference to prosthesis.............
              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• cowsareforeating
                • Jan 2011

^ you know it always seems so obvious after you say it, but never so obvious to me before you do...

Comment

• comex9
                  • Jan 2009

i'm not saying it's not strong, but in a different manner. It's like comparing titanium, gold, platinum, silver, and steel. there are density factors, mallaebility, flacing, sharpness, and weight. It's not a question what is better than the other, beyond what you use it for. We can debate for what the perfect metal would be for a ring, blade, golf club, watch, nuckle support, etc... I don't understand your ratio/object comparison, as I compare all at the same ratio... I'm just not a fan of titanium, unless i'm hitting it against a golf ball, maybe. I HATE the dull gray look of titanium, sorry. yeah SS.

Comment

• AENAON
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2009

the titanium is for protection

Comment

• Wax
                      • Sep 2009

it's pretty obvious that Carol Christian would use Titanium. He is staying true to his craft and work - I had a Titanium implant myself during childhood to support the bones in my thorax and I was said it's the only kind of metal they use for this surgically.
                      Carol Christian is treating clothes like human beings, using methods that you would also use in medical aspects. To me the whole Titanium thing looks like a medical support rather then giving the wearer protection in the plain sense. Very intersting to hear him talk about his fabrics aswell, giving them personifications and characteristics no other person would use when talking about materials or simply things and not beings.

Comment

• BSR
                        • Aug 2008

very nicely put wax, i think you're entirely right on this.

agree also on the 'fabrics come first' remarks
                        pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                        Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• Peasant
                          • Jul 2009

Good point, Wax. Another benefit of this metal when used in clothing is it's strength-to-weight ratio. Wouldn't want a heavy piece of steel dragging the garment around and pulling on seams. The only contradiction to it is how corrosion resistant it is. Carol loves some corrosion.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that fabric developement takes up a large portion of Carol's time. Or that a particular fabric was the catalyst in developing a piece.

Comment

• Chant
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2008

Would only add a detail.

Originally posted by Wax View Post
                            it's pretty obvious that Carol Christian would use Titanium. He is staying true to his craft and work - I had a Titanium implant myself during childhood to support the bones in my thorax and I was said it's the only kind of metal they use for this surgically.
                            Carol Christian is treating clothes like human beings and/or like articulated armours, using methods that you would also use in medical aspects. To me the whole Titanium thing looks like a medical support rather then giving the wearer protection in the plain sense. Very interesting to hear him talk about his fabrics aswell, giving them personifications and characteristics no other person would use when talking about materials or simply things and not beings.
                            Garments are always seen by CCP both as a protective surface and a body analogon. Hence the proliferation of forms, notably in the FW 2007 “Disjointed” collection, indicating that the garment is, like the body it protects, an articulated structure: jointed trousers, jointed jackets, jointed boots, etc. Titanium - guess in addition that the reference to the Titans of the Greek mythology could only please CCP - is indeed a biocompatible material - confirming that the garment is a body by itself.

The titanium parts at the elbows remind the "cubitières" (don't know the word in English) in the traditional armory "tailoring".

Comment

• lowrey
                              ventiundici
                              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by comex9 View Post
                              i'm not saying it's not strong, but in a different manner. It's like comparing titanium, gold, platinum, silver, and steel. there are density factors, mallaebility, flacing, sharpness, and weight. It's not a question what is better than the other, beyond what you use it for. We can debate for what the perfect metal would be for a ring, blade, golf club, watch, nuckle support, etc... I don't understand your ratio/object comparison, as I compare all at the same ratio... I'm just not a fan of titanium, unless i'm hitting it against a golf ball, maybe. I HATE the dull gray look of titanium, sorry. yeah SS.
                              have you ever heard anyone have a gold or silver plate in their head?

Originally posted by AENAON View Post
                              the titanium is for protection
                              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• BSR
                                • Aug 2008

mmm if you're involved in let's say a bike accident, your ccp titanium elbows won't help you i'm afraid...
                                whereas on the other hand if you're starving death, crusty shit pizza from the hut will make you feel better (for a short period of time)

pizza hut > carol christian poell
                                pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                                Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎