X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bson
    • May 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    Maybe he doesn't care about contemporary fine art? Neither does probably much of his audience. And I can't blame him, actually...
    ^^Uh-oh... Are we dismissing today's artists but it's okay to take hip-hop seriously as a 'musical' genre akin to that of fine art? As a classical musician myself who is more involved with contemporary, living composers, it really takes a true artist to associate and connect themselves with what is being produced today, even if it's not 'accessible' to even the general layman or concert-goer. It's fine to not like something, and it's fine to not connect with any specific object or piece or art, though it's scary to dismiss something entirely. There is in fact a lot you have to weed through of today's works to find something that reaches you, but it's always been that way. You have to enter something from the inside-out and understand that there is in fact an energy of high-art and ('high') music today which runs through the same vein that has been continuing for hundreds of years. This is not the case with hip-hop or rap.

Also, mentioning Jeff Koons and Warhol as two examples of today's art is a little strange to me. Let's hear Kanye rap about Twombly or Agnes Martin...

And in terms of Rick and hip-hop, I never valued people's affection toward Rick's high-tops, or Lanvin– any high-end brands. I'm waiting for SZ members to start wearing baggy pants below their ass once Rick puts them in a show... What's great about Rick is that he has so many elements that form the body of his work, and people can approach wearing his clothes from different perspectives. The 'coolness' factor in parts of his aesthetic are what has attracted the droves of rappers... It's really that simple.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Bson View Post
      You have to enter something from the inside-out and understand that there is in fact an energy of high-art and ('high') music today which runs through the same vein that has been continuing for hundreds of years. This is not the case with hip-hop or rap.
      fwiw it's almost cliche in music journalism to place rappers into the tradition of homer
      LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

^^Uh-oh... Are we dismissing today's artists but it's okay to take hip-hop seriously as a 'musical' genre akin to that of fine art? As a classical musician myself who is more involved with contemporary, living composers, it really takes a true artist to associate and connect themselves with what is being produced today, even if it's not 'accessible' to even the general layman or concert-goer. It's fine to not like something, and it's fine to not connect with any specific object or piece or art, though it's scary to dismiss something entirely. There is in fact a lot you have to weed through of today's works to find something that reaches you, but it's always been that way. You have to enter something from the inside-out and understand that there is in fact an energy of high-art and ('high') music today which runs through the same vein that has been continuing for hundreds of years. This is not the case with hip-hop or rap.

Also, mentioning Jeff Koons and Warhol as two examples of today's art is a little strange to me. Let's hear Kanye rap about Twombly or Agnes Martin...

And in terms of Rick and hip-hop, I never valued people's affection toward Rick's high-tops, or Lanvin– any high-end brands. I'm waiting for SZ members to start wearing baggy pants below their ass once Rick puts them in a show... What's great about Rick is that he has so many elements that form the body of his work, and people can approach wearing his clothes from different perspectives. The 'coolness' factor in parts of his aesthetic are what has attracted the droves of rappers... It's really that simple.
        Who said anything about taking hip-hop seriously?

And, yeah, there is so much shit to weed out in contemporary art, that sometimes I wonder if the weeding out is even worth it. Going to Chelsea galleries has become sort of a running joke in my life. Have you noticed that we mostly cover photography and not fine art in SZ mag? There is a reason for it.

Not that I do t value the likes of Keifer and Tuymans, but these guys are already old and I don't know if "contemporary art" is the right term for them.

I used to hate RO dunks with all my heart (see the early stages of the respective thread) but a couple of models have grown on me.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Bson
          • May 2013

And, yeah, there is so much shit to weed out in contemporary art, that sometimes I wonder if the weeding out is even worth it. Going to Chelsea galleries has become sort of a running joke in my life. Have you noticed that we mostly cover photography and not fine art in SZ mag? There is a reason for it.

Not that I do t value the likes of Keifer and Tuymans, but these guys are already old and I don't know if "contemporary art" is the right term for them.

I used to hate RO dunks with all my heart (see the early stages of the respective thread) but a couple of models have grown on me.
          Thanks for the reply, Faust. Looks like we think pretty similarly about things... Chelsea galleries have known to drive me a bit insane as well, haha. I find the special exhibits at Met, sometimes MOMA, are more successful representations. Did you check out the Francis Bacon at the Met exhibit a couple years ago? Unreal...

Obviously with what art/photography you do cover in SZ you have a keen eye for a lot of things, opens a new perspective for me as well, of course. Those mediums relate a lot more to fashion in general... I find I see more in Renaissance and Baroque art that relates to today's designers than almost anything in contemporary fine art I've seen. (Made a side-by-side with the van Eyck 'Arnolfini portrait' shoes and the S/S 13 Ann boots, you'd be freaked how identical they look!)

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Bson
              • May 2013

That's RIGHT!

Comment

• LOVE
                • Dec 2007

Have either of you seen the Eggleston show at the MET? Or Street while it was up?

Comment

• Shucks
                  • Aug 2010

already doin this.

it's funny reading you guys' back n forth here - two demeulemeester fans hating on modernity and pining over the art and footwear of times past. (no hate intended)

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                    already doin this.

it's funny reading you guys' back n forth here - two demeulemeester fans hating on modernity and pining over the art and footwear of times past. (no hate intended)
                    Hmmm? I'm doing no such thing...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shucks
                      • Aug 2010

sorry man, i wasn't too serious. more of a funny mental picture of demeulemeester fans in conversation wishing it was 1823..

Comment

• profondo nero
                        • Aug 2012

As pretty much has been said in context of the thread already, now Bs is on and it got off topic about how world could get the penis of this classically trained pianist. I am concerned myself about these discussions merit, just by keeping in mind that participating members happen to omit others' comments and perpetually fail to acknowledge their bias..

Anyway, whether Rick's relationship with hip hop (or whatever you call it these days) is arguably a mésalliance, I wouldn't put Kanye in this as he's just an enormous buffoon, a soon to be forgotten product of fin du XXe siècle magnitude of debauchery, not worthy any attention at all..

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
                        while i don't wholly agree i still think it's still a valid opinion that warrants discussion and debate.
                        Indeed, it's one incredibly messed up yet fascinating topic for a different thread.

Originally posted by profondo nero View Post
                        Please get a grip how hip hop actually sounds like and what is it about, hope you'll enjoy.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                          sorry man, i wasn't too serious. more of a funny mental picture of demeulemeester fans in conversation wishing it was 1823..
                          But the thing is if you ask Ann she will tell you that she is doing clothing that is absolutely modern. She's definitely no Paul Harnden.

Sorry to delay the thread again. Back to hip-hop! Maybe we need a hip-hop thread so someone can post some good stuff. All I hear is roughly this (my interpretation):

Yo, yo, yo, I'm better than you
                          I fucked your girlfriend, and fuck you too
                          I'm from the hood, used to sell crack
                          Now I got money, hoes and mad swag
                          Chorus: I'm the shit, I'm the shit, I'm the shit.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
                            ventiundici
                            • Dec 2006

we need to get a video of you rapping that asap
                            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Paris project

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• profondo nero
                                • Aug 2012

All I hear is roughly this:

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢