Hip hop goes Owens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Dec 2010

Tiqqun's point though is that EVERYONE is encouraged to act like that, hence the "theory of the young girl".
    Tiqqun doesn't have a "point" with the theory of the Young-Girl because it is, as they say, in no way a doctrine, rather a scattered semblance of an idea.

but yes, I don't think New Slaves is only for black people who feel oppressed by Alexander Wang. I'm not black, I still like it, relate etc.

Comment

• plasmoplas
      • Sep 2010

reminds me of beats by dre. average quality product, slap a name on it.

Find designer clothes for men and women, from denim to streetwear to high-end fashion clothes, at A.P.C. Get timeless, luxury clothing today!

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
      I'm not sure how this is related to hip hop's relation to Rick Owens or "high" fashion... but Kanye is a hypocritical egomaniac, this is nothing new.

Here is a guy presumably wearing a SS16 givenchy t-shirt explaining it:

Comment

• plasmoplas
        • Sep 2010

reminds me of beats by dre. average quality overpriced product, slap a name on it.

Find designer clothes for men and women, from denim to streetwear to high-end fashion clothes, at A.P.C. Get timeless, luxury clothing today!

I'm not sure how this is related to hip hop's relation to Rick Owens or "high" fashion... but Kanye is a hypocritical egomaniac, this is nothing new.

Here is a guy presumably wearing a SS16 givenchy t-shirt explaining it:

Comment

• lowrey
          ventiundici
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by plasmoplas View Post
          holy crap, literally lol'd
          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Fuuma, see the link above for the definition of "interchangeable"
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• profondo nero
              • Aug 2012

err..

Originally posted by profondo nero View Post
              Originally posted by Faust View Post
              Who's Kenya West, Nick Owen and what they have to do with hip hop?

Comment

• Uncontrol
                • Feb 2008

Opening with astrology is a great way to support your argument.

Comment

• profondo nero
                  • Aug 2012

Comment

• Fredo
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
                    The problem here is that these aren't the right kind of urban gentlemen wearing our designers. We want the good kind. That don't bring down the associated image.
                    I feel this way of thinking that there is a "right" kind of person is detrimental to the community of legitimate style. The point of choosing to wear the brands that we discuss on this forum is to stay away from what fashion dictates what is right and truely express ourselves.

Everyone takes pieces and wears them differently to represent who they are. That's the beauty of style! It's interesting to see anyone take inspiration from this culture and incorporate it in to theirs. This is how style progresses. People take inspiration from what they see and flip it. In doing so they are doing their part to adding to the pool of inspiration anybody can draw from. Kanye and A$AP wearing Rick Owens etc. definitely sparked trends but as long as you remain working on your style you don't have anything to worry about.

This is my first post in the forum and I hope to be a good contributor to the community. I really like the overall vibe I've been getting from reading the conversations on StyleZeitgeist compared to other fashion-based forums on the internet. But I think it's counter productive and also ignorant to say "this isn't the type of person that should be wearing our clothing." They're wearing the clothing in ways that may be contrary to how you were brought up to wear the pieces, but they feel fresh in how they wear it. If everyone wore things the same way we'd be going back to the trendiness of fashion which those of us here are trying to avoid.

Comment

• profondo nero
                      • Aug 2012

1st!

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Why, profondo - that was a good first post. Perhaps he misunderstood your point though.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shucks
                          • Aug 2010

i believe profondo is pointing out that patroklus was being sarcastic... which fredo in his first post splendidly missed.

Comment

• Fredo
                            • Aug 2013

Word, now excuse MY ignorance

Comment

• Shucks
                              • Aug 2010

other than that, we all seem to be on the same page (hehe). welcome.
                              Last edited by Shucks; 08-10-2013, 01:55 AM.

Comment

• Picasso
                                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Castor View Post
                                I found it interesting that when Kanye wants to compare himself--in his mind--to another art form he chooses fashion. Why not learn about contemporary art and compare yourself to Jeff Koons or Andy Warhol? Rap about Kehinde Wiley. Fashion is the final frontier of high culture for Kanye and I'm not sure his audience is along for the ride.
                                Hove is already comparing himself to contemporary art, afterall his daughter is the "picasso baby". Kanye has always been this way from the start. Pink polos, backpacks all things that weren't exactly accepted in hip-hop culture and now are. That's why I love Ye he evolves with the time, and usually for the most part does whatever he feels like doing. He's got the whole game wearing and mispronouncing givenchy

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎