• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patroklus
    Banned
    • Feb 2011

i have some older blistered leather
    i like the newer blistered leather
    also the newest oiled calf feels pretty exactly like lubricated condoms and this just seems very appropriate for rick owens
    also i have an older top where the overlock seam keeps running off and had to be restarted because apparently the seamstress couldn't afford glasses
    point is, if anything the overall quality is improving
    dwi

Comment

• kuugaia
      • Feb 2010

arby2001 - Going by your post in the Vitamori thread in addition to this, I think you may have a very warped view of how these so called 'SZ labels' operate. 'No recognisable branding' is a branding job done well; which may be very well what you're getting caught up in to. The brands discussed here are businesses just like the mainstream - the only difference here is the flavour.

Comment

• arby2001
        • Jan 2011

Well, I'm going to have to politely disagree. "Mainstream businesses" in what sense? In the sense that they're trying to make money? Well, all businesses do that.

But if you mean mainstream in the sense of LVMH and PPR stuff (since we're looking at the same price points here at SZ, or even higher), then that's quite a tragedy. I don't like the superficiality of their marketing, their positioning of their products as "very exclusive" when in truth they're dime-a-dozen and often cheaply made...

I have the same respect for "SZ" brands as I do for traditional shoemakers, where the focus goes 100% into the product and the aesthetic. Where they won't say, "Here, buy these shoes, you'll feel very exclusive", but rather, "I made these shoes by traditional methods and I hope they will last you a long time".

Hope you get what I'm saying. Ciao.
        too skinny for rick

Comment

• kuugaia
          • Feb 2010

^Oh man...

I somehow knew I shouldn't have engaged in this conversation. Well, I hope you have a closer look in the future.

Comment

• Lane
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by arby2001 View Post

I have the same respect for "SZ" brands as I do for traditional shoemakers, where the focus goes 100% into the product and the aesthetic. Where they won't say, "Here, buy these shoes, you'll feel very exclusive", but rather, "I made these shoes by traditional methods and I hope they will last you a long time".

Hope you get what I'm saying. Ciao.
            good joke buddy, its one thing to like the idea behind the object because of its creative value, but give me a break with this bit here, lol.

Comment

• arby2001
              • Jan 2011

maybe that didn't come off quite the way i hoped it to. what i meant was that they make their shoes with pride using time-tested techniques. so that with proper care, they will last the wearer a long time.

surely you can appreciate those values?
              too skinny for rick

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by kuugaia View Post
                ^Oh man...

I somehow knew I shouldn't have engaged in this conversation. Well, I hope you have a closer look in the future.
                I get what Arby is saying. I'm not as cynical as you are.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Nomad_
                  • Jul 2012

@avout- I know im late in reading this thread but...

Comment

• kuugaia
                    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    I get what Arby is saying. I'm not as cynical as you are.
                    I don't disagree with the literal content of his posts, but I do disagree on this point of view on marketing/branding. But hey, whatever. Maybe I am a cynic? When I see Dior pushing superficial(?) exclusivity, and I see another brand pushing traditional methods - I just see two kinds of gimmicks. Different strokes for different folks.

Indeed, maybe I am a cynic.

Comment

• BSR
                      • Aug 2008

I don't disagree with the literal content of his posts, but I do disagree on this point of view on marketing/branding. But hey, whatever. Maybe I am a cynic? When I see Dior pushing superficial(?) exclusivity, and I see another brand pushing traditional methods - I just see two kinds of gimmicks. Different strokes for different folks.

^agreed. people talk, brands communicate: most people don't say anything interesting, most brands do communicate plain and stupid messages. but marketing/branding is not evil per se, one just has to ask:
                      1) does the brand say anything new/interesting? what is the quality of its message?
                      2) is there an adequation between the brand's discourse and the reality of its product? (the usual scenario is complete incoherence and deliberate lie)
                      pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                      Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

No, I understand. In an age of pervasive marketing it's very easy for a smart and cautious person to imagine that EVERYTHING is marketing. In a way maybe all that's left is an individual choice to decide whether it's marketing or not. I choose to decide that it's not (this is not a blanket statement since artisanal goth ninja has gone above the radar).
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• christianef
                          • Feb 2009

yeah, i bet PH flips off street style photographers like HDG to statistically stealth promote more curiosity about his strange elusive cult anonymity and homeless clothing. even if it ends up happening - dude's probably just kinda an asshole.

Comment

• kunk75
                            Banned
                            • May 2008

^i am will kunkel and i support this message

Comment

• messiisgood
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2012

WTF

Comment

• Patroklus
                                Banned
                                • Feb 2011

those comments, and that whole article man
                                how briefly have these chilluns been listening to hip hop if they've never seen a tall t b4? homie even got timbs on.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎