• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philip nod
    • Aug 2007

Re: Rick Owens profile/feature in the New Yorker

oh i thought that bitch was the writer

edit: hungover, brain not quite functioning on all cylinders.

One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="philip nod"]

oh i thought that bitch was the writer

edit: hungover, brain not quite functioning on all cylinders.

[/quote]

same here. besides, i just had to grade a paper that killed the last remaining cells that the alcohol did not get to yesterday. game over. axsma;*&%$s/dljwiwoxm....

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
        • Aug 2007

[B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B]
        One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Casius
          • Dec 2006

[quote user="laika"]as part of my unending quest to appreciate what the bfd is about Mr. Owens, I am contemplating buying this....[:^)]
          [/quote]

There's definitely no harm in reading it that's for sure. I don't know if would change your mind about the man (more like solidify your thoughts about him) but it's a good read. To me, it actually showed how normal of a guy he his.

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• AKA*NYC
            • Nov 2007

I'm sure most of you are familiar with this piece but if not, here's my favorite Rick Owens interview:

http://www.hintmag.com/hinterview/rickowens/rickowens1.php

This is Owens at his grittiest.

LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Servo2000
              • Oct 2006

[quote user="Casius"]

[quote user="laika"]as part of my unending quest to appreciate what the bfd is about Mr. Owens, I am contemplating buying this....[:^)]
              [/quote]

There's definitely no harm in reading it that's for sure. I don't know if would change your mind about the man (more like solidify your thoughts about him) but it's a good read. To me, it actually showed how normal of a guy he his.

[/quote]

I have to wonder what sort of a connection there is based on geography because he strikes me as such a Los Angeles / Southern California person and me and Cas both seem to appreciate his personality in a similar manner.

WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Casius
                • Dec 2006

Yea, I'm sure there's definitely a connection Servo.

On another note; I found it funny in the article that he dyes his hair and straightens it to get that look. (never would have guessed he had natural, curly hair!)

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Avantster
                  ¤¤¤
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]It does highlight what the bfd is about him, Laika, in a way (I think) that Yohji is a bfd to you. There is a consistency between Rick as a man and Rick as a designer, and that's all there is to it. It infuses his clothes with a certain meaning. He put it beautifully and succinctly in the article - "broken idealism." And, if you don't believe in that kind of a thing, I would say it creates
                  affinity between him and his clothes, and consequently between him and
                  the wearer.[/quote]

I'd do well to read this article then! I too would like to understand Rick more.

Found this link but it's not the whole article... (http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...fact_colapinto)

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="Avantster"]

[quote user="Faust"]It does highlight what the bfd is about him, Laika, in a way (I think) that Yohji is a bfd to you. There is a consistency between Rick as a man and Rick as a designer, and that's all there is to it. It infuses his clothes with a certain meaning. He put it beautifully and succinctly in the article - "broken idealism." And, if you don't believe in that kind of a thing, I would say it creates
                    affinity between him and his clothes, and consequently between him and
                    the wearer.[/quote]

I'd do well to read this article then! I too would like to understand Rick more.

Found this link but it's not the whole article... (http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...fact_colapinto)

[/quote]

I'll see if I can scan it.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                      • Sep 2006

Ok Faust. I can see where my ignorant bias against Rick
                      Owens--demonstrated in the links, pictures, reviews, and thoughtlessly negative
                      comments
                      that I contribute to his threads--is really one of the big
                      problems on SZ. And the fact that I voiced my intention to read this
                      New Yorker article, so as to further figure out what the hell the man
                      is all about, doubtlessly makes me deserving of angry and patronizing
                      outbursts. I'll refrain from engaging with your assertion that there
                      is "a consistency between Rick the man and Rick the designer,"
                      since apparently any questioning of your pronouncements is the
                      equivalent of "egging on." I'll just go sit in the dunce's corner and
                      watch the basketball game. [<:o)]

[quote user="Casius"]

[/quote]

I thought the article was excellent, the most revealing thing I've read
                      about him since the hintmag interview. The inclusion of his
                      parents--especially his father--was cool and cute and surprisingly
                      insightful. Getting a sense of his upbringing definitely brings out his
                      "normal" side, as you put it. I prefer to see it as his down-to-earth, practical
                      side. The constellation of Rei Kawakubo, Courtney Love and John Owens
                      in the chinese restaurant
                      at the end, all seen through Rick's eyes, was straight out of Basquiat
                      and totally brilliant. I also really liked reading about the history
                      of his relationship with Michelle Lamy....perhaps people can stop
                      posting nasty things about her now! [79] I
                      can't say the article changed my opinion about the way in which RO
                      constructs his "persona," or my view of him as a "designer," but he
                      and his cult are certainly an intriguing phenomenon, and i'm always
                      interested to learn more about it.

BTW, I don't know if anyone has read it yet, but the article about the
                      Toledos is a nice companion to "Elegant monsters." Very interesting to
                      compare Isabel and Rick's backgrounds in pattern making, cutting,
                      etc., not to mention how they started their businesses. [51]

edit: I think "that b*tch," Courtney Love, looks pretty great wearing head to toe RO. And I guess Rick doesn't mind her so much either....[H]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

I can't wait to read this article!!!

a lot gets lost in the written word of online forums in terms of tonal inflection, sarcasm/joking vs seriousness. A quick typing and people can take things/say things the wrong way you know?

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• laika
                          • Sep 2006

I know Albert....but I know Faust in person so this misplaced anger and accusation of bias is pretty hurtful to me....
                          ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

Ok Faust. I can see where my ignorant bias against Rick
                            Owens--demonstrated in the links, pictures, reviews, and thoughtlessly negative
                            comments
                            that I contribute to his threads--is really one of the big
                            problems on SZ. And the fact that I voiced my intention to read this
                            New Yorker article, so as to further figure out what the hell the man
                            is all about, doubtlessly makes me deserving of angry and patronizing
                            outbursts. I'll refrain from engaging with your assertion that there
                            is "a consistency between Rick the man and Rick the designer,"
                            since apparently any questioning of your pronouncements is the
                            equivalent of "egging on." I'll just go sit in the dunce's corner and
                            watch the basketball game. [<:o)]

[/quote]

I just wanted to point out that it's a bit ironic how for you Yohji is consistent and Rick is the same, Karl Lagerfeld's bloated ego is cute, and Rick's preoccupation with himself is disgusting. Just sayin'...

I am also not sure where you see "patronizing outbursts?" All I did was unabbreviate your "bfd." I apologized, because you took it hard, and now I get a diatribe for that?!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                              • Sep 2006

I actually went back and read my posts in the Rick thread and in his collection threads. I NEVER said Rick was "disgusting", and I NEVER criticized him without explaining--or even questioning-- myself. The post I linked to (in the thread I started) is pretty characteristic of the way I express myself on the subject. I don't take pleasure in harshness the way that you do; I prefer gentleness. Perhaps that's why I took your "unabbreviation" to be a sign of anger. I'm not convinced at all that it wasn't.

And I have never, to my knowledge, used the word "cute" within a mile of mentioning Karl Lagerfeld or his ego. Enormous ego when it comes to him (and yes, Rick Owens) is self evident. Intelligence is not, which is why I draw attention to it.

And,lastly, do you really expect me to take this comparison of Rick to YY seriously? So they are comparably accomplished designers to you? Really Faust?

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Ok, laika - I won't argue with you anymore.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎