• Feb 2008

Re: Rick Owens profile/feature in the New Yorker

ok cool, Thanks

I got hit by a car yesterday on my bike in Downtown.. Fucking asshole :(

Comment

• dontbecruel
      • Sep 2006

I am genuinely sad to listen in on you too winding each other up like this. Please play nice!

I also feel I could be partly responsible: I have posted several negative (and probably prejudiced) comments about Rick Owens and I think Faust may have mis-filed some of these comments in his brain and attributed them to Laika. She doesn't usually write provocatively acerbic things even about work she doesn't like (wish I was so even-minded).

Comment

• philip nod
        • Aug 2007

come on little buddies just throw up the hug icon (oh there isn't one)

you guys are the most loving tandem on here (w the exception of merzbow and I natch)

peace now lets rail on our prostitution ring governor

One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Servo2000
          • Oct 2006

[quote user="laika"]

I thought the article was excellent, the most revealing thing I've read
          about him since the hintmag interview. The inclusion of his
          parents--especially his father--was cool and cute and surprisingly
          insightful. Getting a sense of his upbringing definitely brings out his
          "normal" side, as you put it.
          I prefer to see it as his down-to-earth, practical
          side. The constellation of Rei Kawakubo, Courtney Love and John Owens
          in the chinese restaurant
          at the end, all seen through Rick's eyes, was straight out of Basquiat
          and totally brilliant. I also really liked reading about the history
          of his relationship with Michelle Lamy....perhaps people can stop
          posting nasty things about her now! [79] I
          can't say the article changed my opinion about the way in which RO
          constructs his "persona," or my view of him as a "designer," but he
          and his cult are certainly an intriguing phenomenon, and i'm always
          interested to learn more about it.

[/quote]

Does the article specify whether his parents where Los Angeles natives or if they had moved there recently?

Either way, I think one of the things that I find interesting is that his "persona" doesn't really strike me as such, especially having lived in Southern California / Los Angeles all my life (as mentioned before). I'm certainly no anthropologist, but I find that there's some relation between Los Angeles and its various subcultures, a constant need for cars, and Hollywood that allows people to construct (and for people in Southern California to look past) aesthetic representation as a part of the whole. The preening nature and manner of dress seems very detached from his mannerisms and real personality which strike me as something very different. For example, much more so than a designer or anything else the way Rick speaks and acts speaks reminds me of surfers - friendly but occasionally semi-belligerent with a penchant for cursing and very down to Earth. I don't get the feeling that Owens was a surfer by any means, but it's very much a result of Los Angeles in general and not really an act in my opinion.

I'm having trouble gathering thoughts at the moment but maybe Cas can help me out or provide further insight as to what I might be trying to get at... I suppose the core of which is that his "persona" doesn't seem to be all that much more so than anyone else's.

Then again, I could just be trying to write a bias into the fact that I like Rick, which I'm going to have to think about.

WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Casius
            • Dec 2006

[quote user="Servo2000"][quote user="laika"]

I thought the article was excellent, the most revealing thing I've readabout him since the hintmag interview. The inclusion of hisparents--especially his father--was cool and cute and surprisinglyinsightful. Getting a sense of his upbringing definitely brings out his"normal" side, as you put it. I prefer to see it as his down-to-earth, practicalside. The constellation of Rei Kawakubo, Courtney Love and John Owensin the chinese restaurantat the end, all seen through Rick's eyes, was straight out of Basquiatand totally brilliant. I also really liked reading about the historyof his relationship with Michelle Lamy....perhaps people can stopposting nasty things about her now! [79] Ican't say the article changed my opinion about the way in which ROconstructs his "persona," or my view of him as a "designer," but heand his cult are certainly an intriguing phenomenon, and i'm alwaysinterested to learn more about it.

[/quote]

Does the article specify whether his parents where Los Angeles natives or if they had moved there recently?

Either way, I think one of the things that I find interesting is that his "persona" doesn't really strike me as such, especially having lived in Southern California / Los Angeles all my life (as mentioned before). I'm certainly no anthropologist, but I find that there's some relation between Los Angeles and its various subcultures, a constant need for cars, and Hollywood that allows people to construct (and for people in Southern California to look past) aesthetic representation as a part of the whole. The preening nature and manner of dress seems very detached from his mannerisms and real personality which strike me as something very different. For example, much more so than a designer or anything else the way Rick speaks and acts speaks reminds me of surfers - friendly but occasionally semi-belligerent with a penchant for cursing and very down to Earth. I don't get the feeling that Owens was a surfer by any means, but it's very much a result of Los Angeles in general and not really an act in my opinion.

I'm having trouble gathering thoughts at the moment but maybe Cas can help me out or provide further insight as to what I might be trying to get at... I suppose the core of which is that his "persona" doesn't seem to be all that much more so than anyone else's.

Then again, I could just be trying to write a bias into the fact that I like Rick, which I'm going to have to think about.

[/quote]

Servo, well said. I get the very same feeling from Rick; A very down to earth guy but growing up near/on skid row in those years also plays into his whole persona (the long black hair, drug abuse, leaned out, destroyed, etc.). It's the combination of those two worlds of California, the beautiful and the ugly mixed together but his personality seems to have stayed more on the 'California cool' side. I also think the things we see as his persona are also put ons or extremes that he obviously wants us to see (one thing that was great about the article was to hear his hair wasn't really black or straight, all part of his act/persona) and he seems much more laid back.

I have a lot of respect for him because he basically started from nothing in a town that could make you or break you and he was on the verge of being broken and then turned his talents into something beautiful. His clothing is almost a tale of his life in LA.

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• voltaire's anti-defamation league
              • Aug 2007

holy shit i didnt know he rolled with c. love. whoa, i was always a huge rick fan but thats the best thing ive ever read. i actually dj a night called 'what's courtney love got to do, got to do with it.' and only play courtney love songs. well not actually, but if i knew how to dj i would and i would only wear ro. does the rest of the article talk more about her/have pictures????? someone scan that shit!!!

Comment

• soultek
                • Feb 2007

[quote user="Casius"][quote user="Servo2000"][quote user="laika"]

I thought the article was excellent, the most revealing thing I've readabout him since the hintmag interview. The inclusion of hisparents--especially his father--was cool and cute and surprisinglyinsightful. Getting a sense of his upbringing definitely brings out his"normal" side, as you put it. I prefer to see it as his down-to-earth, practicalside. The constellation of Rei Kawakubo, Courtney Love and John Owensin the chinese restaurantat the end, all seen through Rick's eyes, was straight out of Basquiatand totally brilliant. I also really liked reading about the historyof his relationship with Michelle Lamy....perhaps people can stopposting nasty things about her now! [79] Ican't say the article changed my opinion about the way in which ROconstructs his "persona," or my view of him as a "designer," but heand his cult are certainly an intriguing phenomenon, and i'm alwaysinterested to learn more about it.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Servo, well said. I get the very same feeling from Rick; A very down to earth guy but growing up near/on skid row in those years also plays into his whole persona (the long black hair, drug abuse, leaned out, destroyed, etc.). It's the combination of those two worlds of California, the beautiful and the ugly mixed together but his personality seems to have stayed more on the 'California cool' side. I also think the things we see as his persona are also put ons or extremes that he obviously wants us to see (one thing that was great about the article was to hear his hair wasn't really black or straight, all part of his act/persona) and he seems much more laid back.

I have a lot of respect for him because he basically started from nothing in a town that could make you or break you and he was on the verge of being broken and then turned his talents into something beautiful. His clothing is almost a tale of his life in LA.

[/quote]

Am I crazy for thinking of Anthony Kiedis when reading that article and your interesting comments?

Servo: the article said that he grew up in a small town outside of Bakersfield CA

Comment

• Servo2000
                  • Oct 2006

[quote user="soultek"]

Am I crazy for thinking of Anthony Kiedis when reading that article and your interesting comments?

Servo: the article said that he grew up in a small town outside of Bakersfield CA

[/quote]

Thanks Soul.

The Country Music Capital of California! Yeehaw!

WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="dontbecruel"]

I am genuinely sad to listen in on you too winding each other up like this. Please play nice!

I also feel I could be partly responsible: I have posted several negative (and probably prejudiced) comments about Rick Owens and I think Faust may have mis-filed some of these comments in his brain and attributed them to Laika. She doesn't usually write provocatively acerbic things even about work she doesn't like (wish I was so even-minded).

[/quote]

I already apologized - not sure what else I can do.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Casius
                      • Dec 2006

Yea, he grew up in Porterville, CA. Just goes to show.....Whatever you put your mind to.....Yeah, that ol' cliche. [75]

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• philip nod
                        • Aug 2007

this one goes out to the bans:

Last edited by philip nod; 02-23-2011, 09:19 AM.
                        One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• ddohnggo
                          • Oct 2006

thank you pniddy
                          Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• voltaire's anti-defamation league
                            • Aug 2007

rad article. thanks for scanning!!

Comment

• laika
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="dontbecruel"]

[/quote]

I already apologized - not sure what else I can do.

[/quote]

Ok, I haven't been as nice I ought to be. Sorry dbc. [51] (And I would be flattered anytime to have your wit attributed to me!)

I'll just make one last attempt to make myself clear here.

Faust,

I'm very sorry for the immature sarcasm in my first post. It's not my style,
                              as you know, but I think you can guess from that how upsetting this all is
                              to me.

Your "apology" precedes your twice calling me biased and your referring
                              to my posts as "egging on." I see you tried to soften this second
                              point by saying you tolerate it--since it makes you "think and
                              write more"--but I put a lot of effort and thought into responding to
                              you (and everyone), so I find it insulting that you see my posts as
                              some sort of intentional bait.

As for this supposed bias or inconsistency in the way I talk about
                              certain people--as far as I can see, you basically invented that post
                              to further your point, since nothing you wrote corresponds to anything
                              I have ever said or even makes logical sense. And when I responded to
                              this post, you refused to engage me. Given the aforementioned "thought
                              and effort," that I put into what I write here, this lack of engagement
                              is pretty disrespectful to me.

I'll just add, in the interest of full disclosure, that your typically
                              harsh derision of someone whose work you are only superficially
                              familiar with, may have gotten this whole thing started for me,
                              especially since you followed it by accusing me of being biased. (I have "read
                              the books," when it comes to Rick, you know.) I'm sure you can understand,
                              given my line of work, why this would rub me the wrong way.

So I guess, Faust, I would like you to apologize, or at least respond to my previous post. And to please accept this as a clumsy effort to clear the air between friends. I can assure you that I will hate Rick Owens 4-EVER if his existence starts to interfere with my personal relationships. [51]

sorry to everyone for acting like the drama queen of SZ. [:$]

xo

laika

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

god doesn't want us to make up, i just wrote a big conciliatory post, and it got deleted.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎