Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sam_tem
    • Apr 2007

wouldn't surprise me, i purchased it back on Aug 2 of last year for $36 and am still waiting for it. not sure why but steidl seems to have a hard time of fulfilling their promises on releasing books. i purchased a ton of books from them last fall that have all been pushed back and canceled. but sometimes it does appear as though you have to wait a good month before their shipments arrive over here in the states so i've still got my fingers crossed.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

LOL, and guess what the FedEx man just delivered :-) Will post a review Monday.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sam_tem
        • Apr 2007

that is funny. thanks E, look forward to the review.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• peerc
            • Jan 2013

Basically a giant 2012 archive

I'm also a fan of Inventory Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              Is it the same as the first edition or should I get it again? I think I have every Bourdin book published.
              Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
              http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• sam_tem
                • Apr 2007

just a cheaper version of the 1st. dimensions may be larger but not sure if that carries through to the pictures.

could always sell the 1st and buy more books with the spare cash. i'm looking at some miles aldridge i want to get right now.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Fuuma, if you have the first edition, no need to get this one.

Sam_Tem, I remember a large Aldrigde volume coming out this season or in the fall, but don't remember which publisher.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sam_tem
                    • Apr 2007

yeah, there's one of those Rizzoli compendiums coming out next week. not aware of any others though.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Yep, that's the one.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Two new additions from my trip. All highly recommended.

Iconic Belgian husband-and-wife makeup artist/photographer duo. Been there since day one of the Antwerp Six and beyond.

A compilation of Iris's collections up to 2012, plus some fantastic closeups.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kuugaia
                          • Feb 2010

Cross-posting this in here:

Looking to dive deeper into the Comme des Garcons universe and wondering if you guys had any books to recommend? Not interested in only the clothes/photography/stores but also the business side of things. I've read the articles of Adrian Joffe at BoF which were great.

Currently it seems the Comme des Garcons (Universe of Fashion) is the most recommended I could find. ReFusing Fashion also seems not bad. Thanks in advance guys!

Comment

• kuugaia
                            • Feb 2010

Trouble, thanks so much for the info - I really appreciate it!

Yeah that's the weird thing with CdG, there's quite a few publications that photographically document a lot of the work - but very little is written about Rei, the brands, and the business. Considering the brand's history and prevalence in the fashion world, you'd think there would be a lot more. Of course we all know Rei hates interviews and explaining her concepts/design process (if there's even any), but I hoped there was at least one good in-depth publication.

So you don't recommend any books solely on CdG per se? I've read that the Taschen one was quite low quality.

That 'Alphabet of Comme des Garcon' link you posted is awesome, but it seems incomplete at the beginning. Is it cut-off? Or is there a place I can get the full version?

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

No offense, but half of the books Trouble recommended are crap. Harold Koda's essay in ReFusing fashion is worth more than all of the other ones put together. Future Beauty is total garbage. The Taschen one is good enough to make a fire. Japan Fashion Now is O.K., but I've seen Dr. Steele write much better and Kawamura should be sent into remedial non-academic writing program so she learns to write like a human being and not some scholarly drone.

The ABC of CDG is ridiculous - quoting members of the Fashion Spot?! Total WTF.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kuugaia
                                • Feb 2010

^That's kind of the problem, lots of mixed reviews about what is good and what is not. But I'll take your word for it on ReFusing fashion.

I found this list at LNCC of CdG related books.

At this point, I'll be happy to take anything that is literature regarding CdG as most books I've come across are heavily image based. I've only skimmed 'ABC of CDG' and it's quite schizophrenic (with bad grammar), but I appreciate that it's snapshots of more than just the fashion design. But yes, not the most 'quality' of works.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎