• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

No worries.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Null12
      • Oct 2013

Does anyone own the "Boris Bidjan Saberi II" book? Has anyone skimmed through it or own it and care to share some brief thoughts? I've been debating to purchase it for a little while now.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

I have one left. Can't comment on the quality since I wrote an essay in it :)
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• 550BC
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Null12 View Post
          Does anyone own the "Boris Bidjan Saberi II" book? Has anyone skimmed through it or own it and care to share some brief thoughts? I've been debating to purchase it for a little while now.
          Yeah buy it, for that price it's a good addition to your book collection
          a fish out of water dies

Comment

• Resonkuken
            • Oct 2012

There`s tons of amazing pictures in it that you`ll just stare and stare analizing how great every collection was/is.
            And I was very pleased with the writing since everyone who wrote in it took a different approach to describe/talk about Boris`work.

Comment

• beyondthemeans
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by kuugaia View Post
              Cross-posting this in here:

Looking to dive deeper into the Comme des Garcons universe and wondering if you guys had any books to recommend? Not interested in only the clothes/photography/stores but also the business side of things. I've read the articles of Adrian Joffe at BoF which were great.

picture

Currently it seems the Comme des Garcons (Universe of Fashion) is the most recommended I could find. ReFusing Fashion also seems not bad. Thanks in advance guys!
              Read this recently and is somewhat related to your question.

Comment

• kuugaia
                • Feb 2010

^ Thanks beyondthemeans!

Comment

• line.theory
                  • Feb 2011

Bit of a long shot but I am pretty desperate so I'm gonna go for it: does anyone know where I can get My Dear Bomb (in English)? The only ones I can find are on Amazon for $300+, or the Japanese version, and I really want to get my girlfriend a copy for her birthday. I was thinking I'd get one for myself and we could read it along together but I think finding TWO copies might prove impossible.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Wow, didn't realize it has become a collector's item. Have you tried bookfinder.com? I see multiple entries at MSRP, mostly from Amazon Japan.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• line.theory
                      • Feb 2011

I hadn't realised that either, I can remember nearly buying it quite easily a few months ago and then never getting around to it. Cursing myself now!

And I hadn't, thanks (useful site!), I'll check it out now (I'd mostly just been trawling different results that came up on google). As far as I can see most of those versions are either in French or Japanese, but fingers-crossed one is in English!

Comment

• xeraphim
                        • Nov 2008

upcoming yohji monograph by rizzoli:

The definitive monograph on the complete work of Yohji Yamamoto—one of fashion’s most transformative designers working today and widely acknowledged as a master of postwar fashion design. Since the early ’80s, Yohji Yamamoto’s groundbreaking silhouettes and innovative design aesthetic have propelled him to the highest rank of the international avant-garde. Distinguished by his antifashion approach, Yamamoto changed the face of contemporary fashion, radically transforming it with asymmetrical and highly conceptual designs partly inspired by the techniques of traditional Japanese kimonos. His vision came as a refreshing contrast to the power suits and brightly clad fashions of the time, forcing a reconsideration of the future direction of fashion. Yamamoto launched his first collection in 1977 in Tokyo and followed this success with the debut of his experimental and critically celebrated Yohji Yamamoto label in Paris in 1981. This luxuriously bound book explores all the major themes in his thirty years of counter-fashion design. Illustrated with photographs by Craig McDean, Inez & Vinoodh, Max Vadukul and Nick Knight, each chapter elaborates on a particular theme—his sartorial philosophy, influential extensions into scenography, runway shows, monographic exhibitions, and costume design—and is anchored by an essay or interview that lends crucial insight to the story of Yohji Yamamoto, one of the most enigmatic and iconoclastic fashion designers of our time.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Oh, good - I hate to be under a vow of silence, lol. Two for two from Rizzoli this fall! Very exciting!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• 550BC
                            • Jan 2013

added to the list! as I am still failing of finding My Dear Bomb in English, considering the Japanese original version just as decoration in the shelf now...
                            a fish out of water dies

Comment

• kanne
                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              Two for two from Rizzoli this fall!
                              I guess this would be the other one? Either way, sounds promising and about time too!

The first and highly personal perspective into the work and processes of Ann Demeulemeester, one of the most influential and inspiring fashion designers of our time. Graduating from Antwerp’s Royal Academy of Fine Arts in 1981, Ann Demeulemeester (and her contemporaries in the Antwerp Six) transformed global fashion with an aggressive restatement of traditional fashion design and a polemical approach to luxury trends. Influenced by punk, she founded her label in 1985 and imbues her designs with a strong narrative and rebellious spirit. For Demeulemeester, fashion is a form of communication. Her complex language of contrasts covers a whole gamut of emotions. The tension is highly poetic, and her clothes reveal many layers of soul. Known for her elegant tailoring and dark yet glamorous aesthetic, she created a serene and darkly romantic world with an intriguing mix of edgy rebellion and sophistication. This book is a tribute to Demeulemeester’s historical career, with over 1,000 photographs approximating some of the mystery and detailing associated with her brand.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Yes, indeed.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎