• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Casius
    • Dec 2006

Re: Wishlists!

[quote user="deuxmille"]

Not really related, but I noticed that some MA+/LUC pieces are cheaper in Japan...
    [/quote]

Really? Hmmm...I have been contemplating ordering the small MA+ wallet for some time now from A because I just can't find a source for good leather to re make it. Any clue as to the price of that piece in Japan?

Oh and Albert, where would one find an overlock machine? Ebay? I would love to have one if they only cost a few hundred.
    "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• deuxmille
      • Nov 2006

The wallet is more or less the same, if you consider the exchange rate but for example the LUC pants I bought right before leaving were more than 120$ less than at A.

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Casius"][quote user="deuxmille"]

Not really related, but I noticed that some MA+/LUC pieces are cheaper in Japan...
        [/quote]

Really? Hmmm...I have been contemplating ordering the small MA+ wallet for some time now from A because I just can't find a source for good leather to re make it. Any clue as to the price of that piece in Japan?

Oh and Albert, where would one find an overlock machine? Ebay? I would love to have one if they only cost a few hundred.

[/quote]

Deuxmille, what pieces are cheaper in Japan? I have been having a hard time finding online Japanese stores that stock MA+ with photos aside from Mindtrive... Salone-online has gone members only it seems too.

Casius, so there's two different types of machines. A true overlock stitching machine is called a serger. They work with regular thread though to finish fabric edges for jeans etc. This doesn't operate on thick enough thread to create that thick overlock thread look that makes the CCP overlock so distinct.

To get that look, you need a bag closer:

http://www.sewstitch.com/product.asp?catid=2&currentpage=1#.htm

This gives you an idea. As for the thread to use, if you're familiar with the thread used to make "friendship bracelets"... can be found in any Michaels or Pearl craft store in small bundles for way cheap... like $1. Thats the exact material type and thickness for the CCP overlock stitch!

Hope that helps.

I have not purchased an overlock machine.... if one shows up for a couple of hundred, I may consider it. I currently don't do enough personal designing and such to warrant dropping $450 on a machine that generates a single "look" at the moment. Although with it you could turn just about any nice shirt or blazer into an overlock one.... pants too haha. With some digging online and knowing what to look for, you may be able to score one for a reasonable price. Do let everyone know if you do get one!!

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• deuxmille
          • Nov 2006

/\
          I posted an example in the post right before yours. I don't think all of it is cheaper but it seems some is the same price (which can end up cheaper if the ¥ is weak). As for stores that stock online, I don't have any idea, but I usually buy it at Lift or Midwest which both have different and good buys. I don't think they do international business though.

Comment

• nairb49
            • Dec 2006

So you got the LUC pants! and I see that you're clearly not quite on our time yet ;)

I always thought those labels would be more in Japan.

Comment

• deuxmille
              • Nov 2006

Me too, I always thought they would be infalted in Japan, but I guess they're normalizing their prices since the euro is so strong, they won't sell if they keep their markups. Maybe that's not it, but it's just a guess...

Comment

• Casius
                • Dec 2006

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

Casius, so there's two different types of machines. A true overlock stitching machine is called a serger. They work with regular thread though to finish fabric edges for jeans etc. This doesn't operate on thick enough thread to create that thick overlock thread look that makes the CCP overlock so distinct.

This gives you an idea. As for the thread to use, if you're familiar with the thread used to make "friendship bracelets"... can be found in any Michaels or Pearl craft store in small bundles for way cheap... like $1. Thats the exact material type and thickness for the CCP overlock stitch!

Hope that helps.

I have not purchased an overlock machine.... if one shows up for a couple of hundred, I may consider it. I currently don't do enough personal designing and such to warrant dropping $450 on a machine that generates a single "look" at the moment. Although with it you could turn just about any nice shirt or blazer into an overlock one.... pants too haha. With some digging online and knowing what to look for, you may be able to score one for a reasonable price. Do let everyone know if you do get one!!

[/quote]

Great info, thanks Albert. I have actually used the serger machine before in an industrial sewing class I took in school, never used a bag closer though. I will definitely start some searching to see if I can find one for a little cheaper than full retail. It would certainly make for some cool stuff.

Deuxmille- Thanks. Glad you got the LUC pants for a good deal!
                "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• laika
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="Casius"]Yea, right now I can't justify paying $1,000 for denim no matter how cool they might be. I'm going to order some white denim as well and try and make the j-shaped jeans. [:)] Should be fun, and money saving![/quote]

Awesome idea to make those![Y] Hope you will document the process here if you decide to do it--I love seeing Albert's projects.

Didn't Mia make some twist jeans?

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• deuxmille
                    • Nov 2006

[quote user="Casius"][quote user="Chinorlz"]

Hope that helps.

[/quote]

Great info, thanks Albert. I have actually used the serger machine before in an industrial sewing class I took in school, never used a bag closer though. I will definitely start some searching to see if I can find one for a little cheaper than full retail. It would certainly make for some cool stuff.

Deuxmille- Thanks. Glad you got the LUC pants for a good deal!
                    [/quote]

Don't worry, I didn't get a good deal. I'm a lazy full retail idiot ;)

Good luck with your projects! I need to learn to sew to finaly make some ideas I have in mind. People should post more in the DYI section...

Comment

• zamb
                      • Nov 2006

OK here goes,

The Z-man's birthday is in 11 days (june 17th)

I will be 31 then, except for buying a house (i should soon) and finding a really nice girl i can settle with[:S] there is not much else i need right now.

for this birthday there are three things that i want(materially)

1. a pair of while distressed leather shoes i saw at ALDO for everyday wear (yea really)

2. a Dries van Noten converse style sneakers...... i am still hunting them

3. a Philippe Starck designed Fossil Watch

the thing is, even though i can,I DONT WANT to buy these myself, I'm always buying birthday presents or making stuff for PPl's birthday...........

I am starting a birthday fund.

I will ask all my friends to contribute $10 to the fund until the day of my birthday....... If the money i get is less than the total of these items, I'll make up the difference. If it is more, I will use it to contribute to others birthday fund if they decide to do the same.

Its way better than PPL buying me stuff for $50 0r more that i dont need

the total cost of the items i WANT (not need) is a mere $325

My Hemut Lang loving Boss has already pledged her $10......along with my Sister and Brother thats $30

“You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

/\ that's a modest list - shouldn't be a problem [Y]

My wishlist is that VB coat on LVR. [:$]

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mesh
                          • Dec 2006

[quote user="zamb"]

OK here goes,

The Z-man's birthday is in 11 days (june 17th)

I will be 31 then, except for buying a house (i should soon) and finding a really nice girl i can settle with[:S] there is not much else i need right now.

for this birthday there are three things that i want(materially)

[/quote]

Zman, I too will be 31 soon but it's 4 days after you! I am having the same dilemma as yourself with the house and female ha. The only thing I want for my bday is an MA belt and a pair of henry beguelins, that's it :) The yohji trench and hat won't be availabe until sept so those will be my xmas wishes.

Comment

• zamb
                            • Nov 2006

/\ well,

if you start your own birthday fund i may contribute to your purchase of the MA belt......

Happy birthday Mr. Gemini!

Comment

• zamb
                              • Nov 2006

$70 And climbing......... for the Z-man!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• zamb
                                • Nov 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

/\ that's a modest list - shouldn't be a problem [Y]

My wishlist is that VB coat on LVR. [:$]

[/quote]

Faust,

Maybe we should start a birthday wishlist thread, with a find to it, then you could have your VB coat (or at least part of the money)

think about it though, as some ppl might not be comfortable with the idea

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎