Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • magic
    • Feb 2009

dyeing of leather needs salt.. i dont really care about it even my drips has it all over.
    Focusing on object details

Comment

• Merc
      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by magic View Post
      dyeing of leather needs salt.. i dont really care about it even my drips has it all over.
      So these stains could be manufacturing defect? And maybe I'm just whining and I know they'll eventually look worn and beaten. But to simply accept from the beginnen that they got stains on them... I don't know...

Also my previous pair never had this issue.
      Last edited by Merc; 03-03-2014, 08:24 AM.

Comment

• Shucks
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Merc View Post
        Is there a way to confirm if it's a salt stain? Can't imagine how it could have gotten salt stains on it... Haven't worn them in snow or during rain. And then again, these are as good as new? How could they stain is easily?
        in my opinion, it is that the solvent in the glue has diluted the dye in the leather, making the pigment migrate into the glue from the leather, causing the leather to lose color, OR the solvent has destroyed the pigment itself.

but whatever the cause, if these were mine, i would return them. no fucking way would i accept this type of defect in that type of footwear - we're not talking quaint imperfections of craft here, these are mass-produced geobaskets and should be just as consistent (some would say boring) as a rolex. if returning was not possible to do, then i would buy some black leather dye (solvent-based, which penetrates deep into leather, not acrylic-based), and carefully fill those spots in.

but do this at your own risk!

Comment

• Merc
          • Dec 2013

Originally posted by fit magna caedes
          1: They're barely visible. You had to go looking for them.

2: All clothing or footwear will have some minute defect from the word go, even if literally every object you buy is from some ultra-bespoke family-run, by-appointment-only joint, handmade by ancient British craftspeople who otherwise only work for the fucking Queen (and Russian oligarchs, of course).

3: It will, as you say, get beaten up from wear. And will look better for it, too. So take it as some of the work being done for you.
          The thing is, I don't mind that the shoes will age with wear, but I've taken a good look at mine and the right pair looks like the color of the leather is already fading, within just 4 or 5 days of wear. There is a difference in aging and just bad manufacturing, and in my case I think it i's bad manufacturing. The complete right side of my right shoe looks grayish black on some parts, and that's complete nonsense in you take the price of and the fact that they're brand new in consideration.

Even my the leather on my freaking nikes look like they're better dyed/manufactured.

Comment

• Merc
            • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
            in my opinion, it is that the solvent in the glue has diluted the dye in the leather, making the pigment migrate into the glue from the leather, causing the leather to lose color, OR the solvent has destroyed the pigment itself.

but whatever the cause, if these were mine, i would return them. no fucking way would i accept this type of defect in that type of footwear. if that was not possible to do, then i would buy some black leather dye (solvent-based, which penetrates deep into leather, not acrylic-based), and carefully fill those spots in.

but do this at your own risk!
            Exactly how I feel.

Do you recommend going back to the store, or deal with rick owens directly?

Comment

• michael_kard
              • Oct 2010

2: All clothing or footwear will have some minute defect from the word go, even if literally every object you buy is from some ultra-bespoke family-run, by-appointment-only joint, handmade by ancient British craftspeople who otherwise only work for the fucking Queen (and Russian oligarchs, of course).
              Sorry but that's just bull****. Merc you should go back to the store you bought these from.
              ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
              Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Shucks
                • Aug 2010

store first. be polite and explain why it is important to you, and why it should be important also to them.

Comment

• Merc
                  • Dec 2013

store first. be polite and explain why it is important to you, and why it should be important also to them.
                  Im on my way right now. I've spoken with the store by phone and they said they could send the to a cobbler. I it was something like a loose stitch I could live with a repair. But the dye thats coming of from the leather isn't easily fixed. Cobbler probably will wax them and I can keep coming back every week. I realy hope I can get a new pair, or get my money back and buy a pair elsewhere.

I hope they'll cooperate

Comment

• Merc
                    • Dec 2013

Right, if the general quality of the leather all over is poor, that's different. From the pics, it looked to me like you were just worried about a few hard-to-find spots. My bad. Sorry to get worked up about it.

All items have quirks or imperfections. Especially leather. If it's really egregious, or downright broken, then it should be replaced by the store/by whomever made it. But as I said above, it looked to me from the pics as though it'd be invisible after a bit of wear anyway. It seems I was wrong. Not sure that means the general claim is bullshit.

edit: good luck, Merc!
                    Thanks man and I do get where you're coming from. I'm just very picky about these things.

Went to the store and they offered me storecredit but my size is already gone. Hope I'll receive a statisfying mail from Rick Owens, or it seems I'll just have to live with it.

If nothing works out, what's te best way to permanently dye these stains? And will there be visible color difference?

Comment

• mortalveneer
                      • Jan 2008

Anyone know a good website for purchasing solid silver buttons?

Or a good website with a seriously wide range of button options, for that matter...
                      I am not who you think I am

Comment

• flashoflight
                        • Sep 2013

i don't buy normal jeans from drkshdw, but if they are skinny/tapered leg, they're probably 'detroit', if they are 'straight leg' then they are likely 'berlin'.
                        Awesome thanks. They are actually pretty tapered, so I guess they are probably Detroit then.

Comment

• IALAB
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by mortalveneer View Post
                          Anyone know a good website for purchasing solid silver buttons?

Or a good website with a seriously wide range of button options, for that matter...
                          Try these guys: https://www.britexfabrics.com/buttons.html

Comment

• IALAB
                            Banned
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Merc View Post
                            The thing is, I don't mind that the shoes will age with wear, but I've taken a good look at mine and the right pair looks like the color of the leather is already fading, within just 4 or 5 days of wear. There is a difference in aging and just bad manufacturing, and in my case I think it i's bad manufacturing. The complete right side of my right shoe looks grayish black on some parts, and that's complete nonsense in you take the price of and the fact that they're brand new in consideration.

Even my the leather on my freaking nikes look like they're better dyed/manufactured.
                            Sometimes... price does not dictate quality. Your expectations are clouding your perception of what you should have received. Speak to the store, as others have said, and see what they can do for you.

Comment

• Shucks
                              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by IALAB View Post
                              Sometimes... price does not dictate quality. Your expectations are clouding your perception of what you should have received. Speak to the store, as others have said, and see what they can do for you.
                              racing towards the golden 100, are we?

Comment

• kanne
                                • Jun 2009

(when) has rick stopped doing double layer shirts?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎